Turkish Airlines mishandling crisis

Nov 8th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Turkish Airlines mishandling crisis

Just wanted to share with you my awful experience with Turkish airlines after Istanbul airport suffered a lot of delays due to fog last Saturday

They refused to reschedule some of the flights (100% canceled)
They refused to give us food vouchers except if you can wait for 1 hour before each meal just to process your request
Specific for transit passengers:
They refused to give us visas
They refused to book in the airport hotel
They refused to give us our luggage back
They refused to put us in others airlines heading to the same destination
They refused to put us in schedule new flights to handle the canceled ones
Complete disorder, and non human treatment.
Obviously they wanted us to bare all costs of the crisis.

I got out by buying new ticket on another airline !!!
Nov 8th, 2010, 09:34 AM

Sorry for your troubles. The fog wasn't your fault, but neither was it the airline's. This is why trip insurance is such a good idea, to help you with expenses when unforeseen problems develop, as they surely will if you travel very often.
Nov 8th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Julia, I agree the fog was no body's fault...
But their response just frustrated everybody even more
You for the transit passengers, the same airline offices in the country of departure were doing much better than this. They distributed the vouchers in 5 mins.
They offered alternate flights on other airlines for some, they were just amazing
Nov 8th, 2010, 05:41 PM
J62

Sounds just like the way many US airlines handle similar disruptions - looks like Turkey can now be considered equal the US in this regard.

I'm not familiar with airlines issuing visas - so I don't understand how Turkish airlines refused to give you one.

I'm not familiar with any airline that adds extra flights to make up for canceled ones - Iceland volcano last year is a case in point.
Nov 8th, 2010, 07:28 PM

Airlines do not issue visas, governments do. So it would be the responsibility of Turkey as to whether you get to leave the sterile area or not.

You need to read the rules of your ticket as to whether the airline is obligated to put you on another airline (many rules do not allow for that, especially if on a discount ticket).
Nov 8th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

In my first hop, the ones checked in early enough were moved to KLM in few mins, so yes they could so the same to everybody !!!!

All transit pax agreed that the Turkish remote offices handled the issues more smart and fast. Like switching them to other airlines and meal vouchers in few mins....

I agree for the Visa issue though but in Crisis situation you expect some flexibility, I can handle the cost but they should ease the procedure, like 24 hrs visa or else!!!
Nov 9th, 2010, 05:13 AM

I am confused. Now you are saying they did endorse some passengers over to other airlines and did provide meal vouchers? Previously it was, "...They refused to give us food vouchers ... They refused to put us in others airlines..."
Nov 9th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

I said REMOTE offices of Turkish airlines, which mean any branch outside Istanbul.
I was coming from Europe others coming from Asia and staying as transit passengers in Istanbul.

Then Turkish airlines in Istanbul refused to do what their remote offices did.

I guess it's crystal clear now
Nov 9th, 2010, 08:03 AM
J62

This reminds me of an incident a few years ago at AA in Dallas for a layover. Bad afternoon thunderstorms disrupted many, many flights. I was waiting for an agent at the Admirals club and was in line behind an irate traveler.

He was demanding this and that in a very loud voice, complaining about lousy AA customer service, etc. All he got was a polite "I'm sorry, Mr X, there's nothing I can do" reply from an un-frazzled agent. He left in a storm, promising to never fly AA again.

When she helped me I just smiled, commented how I hated jerks like that and offered my sympathy to her. She went out of her way to help me (no super special AA status - I just happened to have an Admirals club coupon that day). Over the phone I'd already told the best I could do was standby on a flight 8 hrs later - not a great way to start a long family vacation, especially with no guarantee of getting out of Dallas that day.

I just told her where we were going and asked her if there was anything she could do. After about 5 min she put entire family of 4 on the next flight in 2hrs (which was now overbooked in coach), bumped all 4 of us up to first class. I'm guessing that she did for us wasn't fully within AA guidelines.

I recall being told as a child something about flies liking sugar more than vinegar.
Nov 9th, 2010, 09:33 AM

Amir_Rafik, it sounds like you had a very frustrating, difficult and unpleasant experience. And it sounds like the airline was overwhelmed and not at all helpful. I'm glad you were able to get out by buying a ticket on another airline.
Nov 9th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

J62, I promise you I was extremely cool in front of them... As the fog is not their fault of course but they could make it a lot easier for us if they treated us in half human way.

Julia1 thanks for your sympathy, I hope what happened to me never happen to any one else.

Force majeure is well known to everybody, but how to deal with people in this case is an art of care and professionalism.

By the way, I just received my bag now after being wrongly tagged.. Obviously The bag transfer to the new airline was never done, they just sent it on the original Turkish flight after 24 hrs !!!! They didn't cascade this piece of information from the front desk to baggage office

Thx all and sorry to buzzer you, I've learned a lot from this exprience
Nov 10th, 2010, 05:04 AM

<>

And that would be?