Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Travelocity Flexible Dates - anybody else for international travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travelocity provides the option for flexible dates to get the best price; however, this option is only available for domestic travel. Know of any sites that allow flexible dates for international travel (originating in the U.S.)? Thanks in advance for any/all information.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:13 PM

Kywood1955,
Travelocity used to offer this feature and I was really disappointed when they discontinued it. Some airlines offer the feature on their individual websites. The closest thing I found to what Travelocity used to offer is http://www.itasoftware.com/ where you can see the lowest prices for I think a month-long period for multiple airlines.

Jane
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Jane. I didn't know about that site and it is very useful. Thanks again. Happy Travels!!! Karen
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:42 PM

Travelocity.com was forced to stop doing this due to some US government regulation relating to showing or not showing taxes.

But you can achieve the same results by using www.travelocity.ca .

FareCompare.com is another really good tool, although imperfect.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:24 AM

I think that Travelocity's flexible dates is terrible. It offers up dates that IN THEORY would have low fares, but when I click on the dates, they are always sold out.

Keith
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:40 AM

Just to qualify what Keith said - there appear to be some issues with Travelocity.ca, but the feature works fine on the US site - only showing fares that still have flights available.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:23 AM

I'm talking about the US site, was just on there yesterday.

Keith
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:54 PM

Keith,
You're right - it will show all the fares with flights and seats available for the date range you specify. This does not mean EVERY date within that date range has seats available, however. If there are NO flights and seats available for that fare it no longer shows in the list.

What I experienced on the Canada site was different: it showed the list of fares for the cities and date range I selected. Then when I selected the Fare, it said no flights/seats were available for those Fare Rules - I never even got to the page which shows the calendar and the dates the fare is available.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:00 PM

OK, I understand the difference in what you experienced.

Though it is still frustrating to hit the calender time after time to find no flights available.

I book things with Travelocity fairly often, but never have had luck with the flexible dates.

Keith
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 01:08 AM

Just use Kayak.com. You have to sign up for a free login to get access to it, but you can search +/- 3 days for any itinerary, in any class.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 01:50 AM

travelgourmet,
I think we were all looking for something that allows a search of more than 3 days - travelocity does that also. We're looking for something that allows a search for the lowest published fare without having to put in dates.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 03:01 AM

Another tool is the Kayak Buzz alerts. You sign up city pairs, as well as city-to-region pairs (i.e. NYC to Asia) and at the interval you choose, either daily or weekly, you get an email with the lowest rates found for those destinations. This has its limits, as it relies upon queries the site has seen, rather than the published fares, but my understanding is that this is what the Travelocity tool does, as well - which is why folks might be seeing the issues with fares that they then can't get to price out properly.

I also use itasoftware, extensively, including the month-long search feature.

Between these tools, I honestly think you can do much more powerful research than you could ever do with Travelocity, and I just can't even be bothered to look at Travelocity anymore.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 05:25 AM

I found this site http://www.cheapoair.com/ that offers really cheap plane tickets to the Caribbean, Mexico, Europe, South Pacific and elsewhere from the US and Canada.

Their booking form offers the flexibility of choosing time, class of travel and also other options like number of Adults, Seniors,Children (2-11), Infants on lap and Infants on seat.