The Air France strikes

Apr 2nd, 2018, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

The Air France strikes

We're scheduled to fly from Paris to Nice on April 13th, then return on the 23rd. But given the possibility of yet more strikes (why did I forget about April???) I'm wondering what airline alternatives there might be. Does BA fly within France or just from other countries? Help!
Apr 2nd, 2018, 08:46 AM

Easyjet fly between Paris and Nice.
Apr 2nd, 2018, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Could we have 3 checked suitcases?
Apr 2nd, 2018, 09:18 AM

Easyjet allows up to 3 checked baggages per passenger with weights between 23kg-32kg. But you pay for each of those baggages and for any additional weight that exceeds 23kilos.
Apr 2nd, 2018, 10:03 AM

Check out skyscanner. I would think thete’d be several options.
Apr 2nd, 2018, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by historytraveler View Post
Check out skyscanner. I would think thete’d be several options.
Such as? HOP Airlines also operate the route but they are a subsidiary of Air France. There aren't several options.
Apr 2nd, 2018, 05:00 PM

I had no idea which airlines have flights between Paris and Nice but have usually found Skyscanner a good source in determining what the various offerings. Sorry I was lacking in specifics.
Apr 3rd, 2018, 03:06 AM

Good morning
we are scheduled to fly out of jfk to cdg on the 12th at 955 pm --- not a strike day- yet- trying to anticipate any additional problems. Any advice appreciated. Not as worried as getting home because after all we will be in Paris ! That just can't be bad ! But with a little time wondering if there is something we should do to ensure that we get there.
thanks all
Apr 3rd, 2018, 05:10 AM

If Air France is on strike, you can always take a train (5-1/2 hours). In truth, it's not that much longer than the flight considering the time it takes to get to the airport and get into Paris.
Apr 3rd, 2018, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by doug_stallings View Post
If Air France is on strike, you can always take a train...
The trains (SNCF) will be on strike periodically through the end of June -- probably more so than Air France. Click here for a list of strike days. (In French, but easy enough to figure out.)
Apr 4th, 2018, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

I wish the train were an option, but train travel is being seriously affected by the many strikes. Our big concern is an air-traffic controllers strike, which could affect our flight from the US. We have trip insurance, but evidently it doesn't cover strike cancellations.
Apr 5th, 2018, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

So...here's what transpired.

1. Plan A: get a different flight.
2. Plan B: rent a car and drive from Nice to Paris over 2 days

First I extended our hotel booking in Nice to the date when we would have to begin driving back to Paris. Then I rented a car, from Nice to Orly. (Note: AuroEurope/Hertz had a huge supplemental fee for dropping off away from the rental location. Orbitz did not.)

Early this morning I called Air France and got a really good agent. We talked for a while about different possibilities, as she had not yet been notified of the strikes on the 23rd and 24th. We reached the point of finding out what the change fee would be when in came the AF bulletin--and a cancellation notice for our flight on the 23rd. As a result, we were able to reschedule our flights for the 25th, giving us longer in beautiful Nice. Not as much time in Paris, but that's okay: the Mediterranean climate is very good for my allergies. But I'm holding on to the car booking until I'm sure we won't need it. We haven't driven Nice/Paris in quite a few years, and it would be fun--but a long trip.

Meanwhile, I'd extended our Nice hotel stay. So if all goes well...
Apr 5th, 2018, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Underhill View Post
(Note: AuroEurope/Hertz had a huge supplemental fee for dropping off away from the rental location. Orbitz did not.).
I’d double check the dropoff fee info from Orbitz, maybe call the car rental company direct and ask about the dropoff fee. If Hertz charges it when booking thru AE, chances are they will charge it when booking thru Orbitz or anyone else.