Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Preference Across the Atlantic: AA or Air France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 06:27 PM
MJ

I'm going to Europe on FF miles and have a choice to return on either American Airlines (I do like their leg room) or Air France (a code-share on this route). If you had a preference, which would you choose and why? Both itineraries work well for me. One more question, if I may? I have an opportunity to have a stopover for one night in NYC (my final destination is SFO). If my plane is scheduled to land at JFK at 3:30PM, would I have enough time to taxi to a hotel and make an 8PM curtain call? Seeing a Broadway play would be my only reason to force a layover. Input anyone?

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Sue

When you land at 3:30 pm EDT, it is probably already 9:30 where you were in Europe (which is what your body has become accustomed to); do you really want to stay up "all night" to see a play? Wouldn't be my choice, but I think you have enough time to do it.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Wendy

Just flew Air France in March. We thought it was awful- hardly any legroom, bad food, rude fellow passengers who insisted on keeping their chairs at the full incline the entire way across the Atlantic. Also, the seats and bathrooms were dirty.<BR>Regarding your second question, I think it's difficult to plan theatre after arrival in New York. There are so many variables- delays in the air, on the ground ( traffic, etc.) to say nothing of how tired you probably will be after the trip. <BR>Good luck!

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Annemarie

I agree with Wendy about the Air France experience. I'm not ruling out that all Air France flights are as awful as mine and hers. However, we flew nonstop from California to Paris and it was aboard an old 747 which had uncomfortable seats (no back support), cramped as usual, no seat back entertainment due to the age of the plane, and worse yet was the food which was more or less inedible. In addition, the bathrooms were terribly dirty and had old fixtures. It really did appear that the cabin cleaners did not service the bathroom properly. I regretted flying Air France after this experience both going and coming home. This was in 1999 and in those days, the airlines had airfare price wars so that was the best thing about flying on Air France as we paid only $350/pp RT. Other than that it turned me off from flying on Air France. But I believe some routes use modern aircraft so you should enquire.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 10:03 PM
John

I flew Air France LA-Paris this spring and had a very different experience. Older planes, yes. Dirty? Not at all. Food was great - much better than American. Very professional staff on the ground and in the air, I would definitley fly Air France again.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 01:59 AM
Paige

I flew Air France last summer Paris-DFW-Paris and liked it fine. The only problem was they misplaced our luggage for a few days! Other than that, I thought it was better than AA. The seats were roomy enough and had the little video screens on the seatbacks. The food was fine and of course they had better wine than AA!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 02:17 AM
tiny

AA hands down

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Burta

Just got back from Paris. Flew roundtrip from LAX to Paris on a long, direct flight on Air France, which despite its length was amazingly pleasant. The food was good, we had many movie selections on board with individual monitors. The service was excellent. I believe we were on a 767, which was very comfortable. Any airline that can make 11 hours pass so pleasantly and quickly can't be bad!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 10:06 AM
GAC

LAX to Paris on Air France is on the new 777 (there are also a few weekly 747-400s, but these originate in Tahiti).

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Red

If you are doing coach, AA is my choice. I haven't flow Air France but I've flown other carriers and no one beats AA for leg room. I wouldn't chance it.<BR><BR>If you are on your way home for the stopover, forget it. You'll pass out during the play.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Jessie

I have flown both. I personally prefer American Airlines but my husband liked Air France because he could smoke in their little smoking room. Now that there is no more smoking, I positively prefer American Airlines (and my husband agrees) with the added legroom. It really does make a difference for long flights. You mentioned code share....if you should chose AA, just make sure that it really is an AA aircraft, not just an AA flight number on someone elses aircraft. Good Luck. Jessie

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Susan

Assuming your plane arrives on time and it doesn't take forever for you to go through immigration and customs, you should make it to Times Square before curtain call. The cab ride usually takes 45 minutes, but can be up to 1.5 hours in heavy traffic. I take every chance I get to catch a show on Broadway so I say-- go for it (sleep on the plane and pick a show that won't require too much effort for you to stay awake)!