Swiss International question

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Swiss International question

I will be flying on Swiss Int'l from ORD to ZRH in April. Seat maps for this airline are not available on seatguru or seatexpert, but I have seen photos at the Swiss web site. Has anyone flown on their A332? Is that a TV monitor I see on the seatbacks? How comfortable is economy class? The photos make it look quite nice and new.

Thanks for any information re: comfort, good seats vs bad seats, etc. from anyone who has been on this flight or plane type. How is the seat recline for sleeping, especially on the trip going east as it is through the night.

In past years (80's) I flew on Swissair in economy a number of times. This is a "new" airline from that time as they have been through some tough times, new owners (?) and rehaul. I've been strictly a UA flier (often upgraded to business/first class) but wanted a non-stop between ORD and ZRH and the star alliance doesn't have any. So... we're trying something new!

Your comments?
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:50 AM

Yes, from the pictures on airliners.net, personal video screens for each seat. Sorry, no other information, but that is the only non-stop ORD-ZRH. It's a AA code-share, so check prices on aa.com; and regardless how you book, you can earn AAdvantage FF miles on most fares.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks rkkwan. I'll have to check out that airliners site. I had not heard of that one before. I have an AA FF# so I'll have to get credit for my miles. I didn't realize Swiss was a partner with anyone! Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 06:05 PM

I fly back and forth to Europe nearly once a month for my job position. However, I must say that flying business class is the way to go for maximum comfort. It just really is on long flights. That being said, it's a lot easier when your company pays for those tickets.

Well... At least one thing for sure is that you're going to go on SWISS, generally very good quality service compared to that of others. The Swiss are just meticulous people. Just ask my Swiss born wife.

Yes, those are the entertainment video/audio monitors. The A330-200 is a great airplane. Quiet, state-of-the-art and so on. My only advice to you is that you get extremely lucky and end up with a middle row of empty seats you can lie down across. With the advent of the internet sites and effective yield pricing management these days, the darn SWISS ORD - ZRH flight is quite full. My wife flys it a couple times a year. We try to use her mileage (when we have enough - 35,000 one way now as opposed to 25,000 under "old" Swiss Air) and at least upgrade one way to business class.

I used to fly the "old" Swiss Air in first, business and once or so in economy. The flat as a bed seats in first were the wow factor. Fantastic on the MD11's and especially on the A330-200 between Zurich - Sao Paulo or ZRH - ORD. The economy don't recline much at all. Stay away from the seats near the lavs. The ones right behind the emergency exits may prove better for ample leg room (i.e. dead space in front of your feet).

SWISS has been code sharing with AA for sometime now. Per previous advice, check aa.com or even swiss.com. You may still find some good deals for April, too.

Delta had a special on 50% off their business class fares in the wintertime and was $1,953 roundtrip (normally $4,000+), but you went through ATL both ways. Good luck, and remember to get up and move around a bit to avoid D.V.T. syndrome in your legs!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, airbus, for the added information. I have booked on Swiss already, so am looking forward to their A332. I have not picked up my tickets but I think hubby and I have the 2 aisle/window seats on the outside, and not seats in the middle, of the 2-4-2 configuration. Will look for the 3 seats across if possible, but will not hold my breath on that one.

Every flight I've taken lately has been nearly full! Makes it harder to maneuver the little walks, but I try. Trips to Europe don't seem too bad to me, as I travel to Thailand a couple of times a year. Now THAT'S a long flight!! But hopefully will be in a business class seat on UAL, my usual airline.

Love Switzerland! Yes, the people are meticulous. We have friends there, and they are wonderful people.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thought of another question. Is the counter for Swiss still located in terminal 5 (international terminal) at O'Hare, or is it in terminal 2 with American?
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:17 AM

SWISS has their counter in terminal 5.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that information, Mamamia.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 04:57 PM

I was thinking about flying from Miami to Zurich this summer on Swiss Air. I hear they are partners with American. Since American makes you pay for wine on the plane and Swiss doesn't, and the price is cheaper with Swiss Air it makes since. I called American and they said I would get frequent flyer miles if I fly Swiss if the code is O Q S or V class. How can I find that out when I book it on the Internet?

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 11:53 PM

Most online booking site will show you the fare class, after the service class. For example, you may see something like:

Economy (S)

"S" is your booking class in this case.

If you still can't find it, then you probably have to call to find out.