Small wrapped chjildren's gifts ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Want to pack tote bags with a number of small wrapped "surprises" to help amuse and distract small children during an 11 hour flight. Will there be any problem with this thru security from LAX, traveling Aer Lingus? Thanks.
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Oops - typo - title should be children's - sorry!
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:44 AM

You carry-on bag will be x-rayed, and if they don't see anything suspicious, then you're fine. But if they want to open your bag and the box to check, then they will open your bag and box, wrapped or not wrapped.
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:55 AM

You'd be wise to put the surprises in little gift bags.
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:13 PM

The issue would be with TSA, not specific to a certain airline. The standard advice at Christmas time is not to wrap gifts, but I have flown then and never seen them opened. I would go for wrapping them and take my chances - although it would be a chance.
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:27 PM

Out of curiosity, what kind of surprises are you taking?
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. The gift bags sound like a good idea-with taped ends. What "surprises"? So far have small sticker books, preschool deck of cards, small coloring book and new crayons, a small Disney travel game, beanie baby, animal neck pillow,paper-back book, magnetic puzzle (will that be suspicious?) - and will have small snack items of some sort (after consulting their mother). Rest still to be determined. This Grandma will have fun looking around a dollar-type store and getting the bags ready to mail out to CA. next week - both the little girls have birthdays just before the trip, will be 3 & 6, and therefore still fairly easy to please.
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:11 AM

By the way - excellent idea for small gifts for kids that age - even small snacks are more exciting if packaged up nicely. Just make sure you save some in your checked luggage for the trip home - for us, that was always worse since excitement of trip had worn off to be replaced with "are we home yet"
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:02 PM

For some reason, I read your OP as though you would be handing out the small presents to children unrelated to you on your flight.

I thought it was very sweet to think of any kids that would be on your 11 hour flight... It's <u>still</u> sweet to do that for your grandkids - it will probably be one of their favorite memories!

On the magnet question, my husband had his bag checked once because we had a magnetic chess board in his carryon. The guy checking the bag grumbled that he wouldn't have stopped us if he was at the scanner because it was obvious it was a game.

I'm not sure if it was the metal, the magnets, the shape, or the combination of all 3 that made it look suspicious to the person at the scanner. We didn't get stopped on our return flight, though. Moral of the story- you may or may not be asked about the magnets, based on the person scanning.
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Jbee -Thanks for the magnet caution. I do sometimes carry stickers, small paper books, candies, etc. to give to unrelated children who might need a distraction or reward - but in this day and age, I believe the majority of parents would object and refuse a wrapped gift from a stranger to their child! Perhaps my son and daughter-in-law will have the kids share on their trip - probably less suspect from the parent of another child!
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:40 PM

jbee, I read the title as a query about providing gifts for small wrapped children! Silly me...