3 oz quart bag carryon

Search

3 oz quart bag carryon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 oz quart bag carryon

I haven't flown where I carried my luggage on in a few years. But last trip my luggage was lost and no pjs...

So am I understanding the makeup must say 3 ounces on the container?

Please send packing suugestions on that....I forsee trouble with my teen daughter...TIPS?
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 05:29 AM

3oz or less..that's under 100ml.

Most makeup seems to come in pretty small containers and you can get mini shampoos etc or buy on arrival if you don't like what the hotel provides.

If your daughter has more than a quart bag maybe she can add a few items to your bag? Offer to treat her to some new makeup at your destination then check one bag with liquids on the return...

Good luck!
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 05:41 AM
J62

Send your teen daughter to this website so she reads the rules directly from the TSA. I've heard that teen daughters don't always like to listen to their parents.

www.tsa.gov/311/
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 05:59 AM

"So am I understanding the makeup must say 3 ounces on the container"

I bring through containers that are generic (from dollar store) which I have filled with gel, lotion, etc. In my experience, the container doesn't have to say anything or have any labels.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 06:09 AM

I have used both sample/travel size from store/hotels and the generic ones you fill yourself. With the ones you fill yourself, the twist-on caps work better than pop-tops (where you can squirt out) as we've had a few leaks/popped caps with the pop-tops (thankfully were in plastic bags so didn't make a mess).
TSA checks size not what the container says. And everything MUST fit into that one ziplock bag per person. Make sure liquid lipgloss and items like that are in the bag too. I had my bagged pulled once because I missed one I had at the bottom of my purse. I go by the "throw anything questionable into the ziplock" theory.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 06:37 AM

I saw a great tip in Southwest Air's on baord magazine-use clean contact lense cases to put small quantities of make-up, mosturizers, etc in. and throw them in your quart size bag. contact lense cases seal great and you can buy them at discount or dollar stores.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 06:54 AM

What makeup products are larger than 3oz?

Beyond that question, most liquid makeup products are @ 1oz-- they are not sold in bulk. For lotions and shampoos, transfer to the travel bottles you can get at the drugstore, to make the load lighter, ask her to only bring the bare necessities, i.e. 1 mascara, 1 eyeshadow, 1, maybe 2 lipcolors, 1 eyeliner, etc. Also, a stop off at the cosmetics counter asking for trial sizes of mascara, etc, is a good move.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 07:07 AM

here is a good site.

www.minimus.biz
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 07:54 AM

Only liquid makeup goes into a zipped plastic bag. Compact powder, blush, lipstick - they are OK in the bag.

If you have any liquid medications, parfume, eyeliner - this type of things go in the zipper, and you must pull them out of your bag and put through x-rays separately.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 07:59 AM

If you (and/or your daughter) are particular about your brands. It could be worth it to go to your department store or beauty supply and see what samples they will be willing to give you, especially if you show them your regular sized bottle. Teenage girls can be very particular about brands and think they can get away not listening to the rules. My daughter learned the hard way and had something confiscated...
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 08:04 AM

"In my experience, the container doesn't have to say anything or have any labels."

Well, that's what I thought. I'd been refilling and carrying the same generic bottles of shampoo and conditioner with me for years but when we went to DC in October, they wouldn't let me take them through because the bottles weren't labeled and I ended up checking my carry-on. What was so stupid was that I also had a small bottle that used to be filled with Cetaphil but now contains hair product. That one would have been OK because it had a label on it even though it wasn't filled with the original product!

The problem for me is that the rules seem to keep changing and they're so arbitrary.

Old Mar 20th, 2008, 08:05 AM

And remember you are only allowed ONE 3 oz bag not mutilpes.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 08:08 AM

As a chronic overpacker, especially with makeup and cosmetics, it is easy to do. Just remember these restrictions are for 'gels and liquids' only: therefore, choose foundation in stick or compact form, eyeliner pencil not liquid, blush as a solid brush-on, etc., lipsticks & mascara, all ok, leave out shampoo & condr.& body lotion which are usually provided in hotels, if not they are inexpensive. All these non-gel or liquid cosmetics can be loaded per usual, just separate out the liquid stuff for examination. Sample sizes of toothpaste, saline, hairspray, moisturizer, are available in all discount drugs as are pre-stuffed-1-qt-bags with lots of tiny empty containers for you to fill. Good luck.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 10:00 AM

No you are allowed only ONE zip lock quart bag per person - you can put multiple 3oz or smaller items in the one bag.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 10:30 AM

On a recent carry-on only trip, I was surprised at how many items are actually 3 oz. or less. Even my regular-sized tinted moisturizer was OK. Heck, usually the more expensive the makeup or perfume, the smaller the bottle, right?
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Reisender is right I had a typo.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Contact lens solution is separate - considered a medication. My dtr has prescription acne cream and her contact lens solution in a separate bag from the one 1-qt bag. Does this help?
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Remember the 1 qt. is only gels and liquids. Other make-up items can be packed separately like powder blush, etc.

3 oz containers are fairly large. Shop for some 1 or 2 oz empty plastic travel containers & you can get everything into a 1 QT bag fairly easily.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 12:34 PM

I honestly believe that it depends on the TSA agent working how they will treat non labeled bottles. I have used clear bottles for years to put shampoo and conditioner in and have never had a problem until Phoenix airport one time. I have been in and out of Phoenix a number of times and on one occassion the TSA agent (witch as I would call her) pulled my bag and asked who's it was and when I said mine she copped an attitude about the non labeled bottles. So not to cause an unfriendly encounter, I gave them up since they only cost 99 cents and the hassle of checking my bag would cost me too much time.

It is true that if you use a trial size bottle of shampoo or lotion and fill it with who knows what, they won't even bat an eye which makes absolutely no sense. All you had to do is open the non labeled container and smell the shampoo!

On another note, all medications that are liquid do not have to go in the same bag. I've even been asked to put my powder inhaler in with the liquids by a TSA agent that saw it in my purse...so like I said...it depends on the TSA agent.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 12:45 PM

I have sensitive skin, so I have to take my own stuff with me and not rely on using whatever the hotel provides or purchasing what I need when I get where I am going. Well, except sunscreen - I could never pack enough sun screen, so I buy that when I get where I am going.

Still, I find that I can manage if I pack well.

Make up is no problem - everything is very small or non-liquid.

Other toiletries - I put my products in travel size containers. Most of my containers are actually the travel size of other brands that I poured out and put my own stuff in. I have had marginal luck with the generic containers, so I don't use them much.

I can go for 1 1/2 - 2 weeks carry-on only. Even with shampoo and conditioner, and I have a lot of hair.

If the trip is longer and I want to take more toiletries, I pack the basics in my carry-on and the "overflow" in a checked bag. That way, if my bag is delayed, I've got the basics to see me through. I also always bring at least 1 change of clothes in my carry-on when I check a bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -