Specific question about ziplock bag rule

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I understand I can only carry on one quart sized ziplock bag filled with 3 ounce or smaller containers of liquid. Can I mix in with that other things--such as an 8 ounce stick deoderant or dental floss--or must it only be the liquids and gels in question? Also, can I carry on a second ziplock bag with various toiletries that are unrestricted (such as the above-mentioned deoderant and floss)?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - I don't see why you'd want to mix the liquids w/ anything else.

the "liquid" ziplok is screened separately (i.e. it is not in your carry-on)

The other things you mention can be in a ziplok if that is what you want to do - but they will be inside your carry-on.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:24 PM

All of your liquids should be in that ziplock bag. Nothing else should be in it besides your liquids. You carry it separately, out of your bag, as you go through the checkpoint.

The rest of your carryon luggage can contain anything you want to pack, as long as it's not a liquid (or otherwise illegal or suspicious; I wouldn't recommend two ounces of loose baking soda, for instance). You can have a hundred ziplocks in your bag if you want.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:26 PM

You can mix them, but with dealing with TSA I'd keep it as simple as possible. Liquids in one ziplock and other stuff in another.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Janis, I figured that if I could fit all of my toiletries in one bag, why not? I'm happy to limit the one ziplock to liquids, but, out of curiosity, is there a rule requiring it?

Anyway, I'm assuming that most people slip the separated ziplock with the liquids into the carryon once past security. Is this right?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, starrs. That makes sense.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:32 PM

I put into the ziplock all 3oz liquids/gels or less and whatever else fills up the bag. They only care about carrying on liquids/gel. Interestingly, I found on my last trip that if, while in country, I put all the stuff I need every morning in one ziplock it was so much nicer. My hotels never had a sink area large enough to place everything. I swear, every time I travel I learn something new

As an aside, out of 4 legs (Newark to Istanbul and back) no one requested that I put out my ziplock - I did but my travel partner did not. That's very discouraging when it comes to safety!!
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:33 PM

They want the liquids separate so they can be screend separately - I think it would be a mistake to cram more into that baggie than necessary . . . . Just my 2 ¢
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:37 PM

No one as I was going through screening had their liquids ziploc bag out. The bag stayed in the carryons. I did notice that the xray machine was fancier - could see more detail than in the past - and the screener DID take quite a bit of time looking at one slide.

When all else fails, KISS
Keep it simple, stupid
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:42 PM

That seems so odd. I last flew in Feb - 5 flights - and for each one there were pre-screeners in the security queue making sure the liquids ziplok was out and ready for screening . . . . .
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:46 PM

how many 3 oz containers of liquid and gel can you but in you quart ziplock?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:49 PM

We just flew home from Rome (3 June) via Zurich. In Rome (Fiumicino) I took out my baggie with the liquids for screening but many did not...including my boyfriend. No one seemed to get stopped.

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Have you actually seen the small size of the 1 qt zip lock? It should be packed so the items do not overlap and cover each other up. It's t smaller space than I originally thought to be.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 05:28 PM

On a recent trip with several flights I found the security varied with each flight.

We were always asked if we had a separate baggie with the liquids. But for one flight, they didn't even want to see it.

For other flights, they just glanced at it. On our last flight...back to the US, they examined everything in detail.

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Travel-size toiletries (3 oz. or less), that fit comfortably in ONE QUART-SIZE zip-top bag. Travelers will be limited to one such bag.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:01 PM

I just purchased a 1-quart ziplock bag that has 14 clear jars/bottles that fit into the bag.

There is a small spray bottle, 5-6 little jars in various sizes and 5-6 bottles of various sizes.

I purchased it at Bed/Bath & Beyond for $9.99. I probably won't even need all the containers it holds. I think it will work great.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Flew out of Atlantic City in April to Florida. They made you take out your zip-lock bag and show it. Same coming back from Tampa. Flew out of Philadelphia in May to Italy, they also made you take out your ziplock and show it. Ditto for Italy home to the USA.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 08:03 PM

I haven't read anywhere in the rules that the one quart bag must be filled without items overlapping or covering each other up, or that they must fit comfortably in the bag. As long as it all fits (i.e. the bag closes) and all containers are each under 3 oz., does it matter how much you stuff the bag?
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 08:23 PM

I just returned yesterday from a trip to Indianapolis from Miami and back. They had a station at both airports before the security line entrance where they reminded travelers about the liquid requirements. I had no liquids, but I heard her mention "jells" so I pulled out a tube of lip gloss jell and she handed me a ziplock baggy. She said that this counted as a liquid. By the time I got to the Xray machine, I had fished another jell and a tube of liquid makeup to add to the bag out of my purse. I hadn't even considered those as liquids and I know that I haven't bagged them in past flights, but I try to be thoughtful about making their jobs easier and faster.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 08:34 PM

Flew Newark to London RT recently and had to display the 1 qt. ziploc bag both ways. The limit is not 3 ounces on everything. You can have up to 4 ounce containers of things like contact lens solution, etc. Also, you can put your prescription meds in the ziploc. I had my asthma inhalers in there. I saw many people trying to get through with larger than 1-qt. ziplocs, wrong size bottles, baby formula in too large a container, etc. who had to throw away their stuff. It really is not that hard to comply if you are also taking checked baggage. If you are trying to do a long trip to Europe with only carry-on baggage, good luck. Not just the liquid restrictions, but also the weight restrictions when leaving EU airports, will severely hamper your packing. My son left to study in London in January with around 30 pounds of carryon baggage, no problem. He was also permitted a carry-on bag plus a "personal" bag. While he was away the laws changed and the limit went down to 13 pounds, all in ONE BAG, and no extra bags or purses for women allowed!!!! His laptop alone was more than 10 pounds. He had to do some creative juggling in Heathrow, plus smile some winsome smiles at the female baggage checkers in order to get through. When he added more to his checked baggage, he went over the 50 pound limit for economy class and had to pay a surcharge of $40. He only just made it under the 70 pound total maximum per checked item. (And this was after I visited in the spring and brought home all his winter clothing plus half his books and souvenirs!) I swear it is a conspiracy to make you have to buy high priced toiletries, batteries, and voltage converters at Boots pharmacy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -