Question about carry on

Mar 30th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Question about carry on

I understand the requirement of the 3 oz. in the plastic bag for carry on luggage. I was wanting to know if items I normally carry in my purse will have to be placed in the plastic bag, ie: lotion, lip gloss, hand sanitizer, eye drops, etc.?
Will I have to remove these from my purse and place in the plastic bag?
Mar 30th, 2008, 02:03 PM

If it is liquid or gel it must go in the qt baggie Doesn't matter where you "normally" carry them.

Solid items like lipstick, chapstick, solid deodorant - they do not have to be in the ziplok baggie. But mascara, lip gloss, any sort of lotion, spray, roll on, drops, etc - have to be in the baggie.

(Prescription and some other OTC liquids do not have to fit in the same baggie - but they will have to be screened separately)
Mar 30th, 2008, 02:22 PM
mhc

Yes. As janisj look carefully at any item in your computer bag, purse, pockets, backpack, etc. Doesn't where where you would keep it. This applies to any item that will move with your person on to the plane. (Not checked bags)

If it's not solid, it's a liquid. It only took one time for me to believe that TSA will take it and toss it! (Don't forget toothpaste!)

I've downsized with hotel toiletry and trial size bottles. One of my packing routines inludes refilling everything from my big "stay at home" bottles. (Kind of them to lighten my load in preparation for the one free checked bag rule.)

Mar 30th, 2008, 02:29 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a similar question.

I was wanting to know if items I normally carry in my backpack will have to be placed in the plastic bag, ie: lighter fluid, napalm, etc.?

Will I have to remove these from my purse and place in the plastic bag?

I was thinking that since I normally carry them in my backpack are they exempt from the 3 oz. in the plastic bag thing.

Or maybe I really don't understand the 3 oz. plastic bag rule at all.
Mar 30th, 2008, 02:38 PM
mhc

ipod_robbie,

Perhaps you could ask for some special considerations if tthe items you listed are used for your profession. I would ask that you please be kind enough to post your travel plans, including flights and times on this forum.
Mar 31st, 2008, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

I posted my question on this board in hopes of receiving helpful information, not to be insulted by someone.
"Thank you" to the ones who posted legitimate responses.
Mar 31st, 2008, 06:10 AM

I've noticed a few airports provide a rack with the plastic bags right before you enter security. The airport does this, not the TSA. I wouldn't count on your airport necessarily doing so, however. Get some 3-ounce zip-lock plastic bags.
Mar 31st, 2008, 06:14 AM

"Get some 3-ounce zip-lock plastic bags." - uh - nope. They are 1 quart plastic bags (it is the containers you put in it that have to be 3 oz or less)
Mar 31st, 2008, 07:52 AM

Oh, oh. Yes. I know that. Sorry for the typo.
Mar 31st, 2008, 10:29 AM

Actually, at Edmonton International airport, the security people insist you transfer your liquid items from your perfectly good 1-litre bag to one they hand you while you're waiting to go through the screening process. Happened to me last October.
Mar 31st, 2008, 11:06 AM

Without trying to be mean, I understand the point mhc was making because traveling is getting to be an such an ordeal! Waiting behind people who aren't familiar with the procedures is frustrating. So, my advice is to be as prepared as possible in advance.

Posting your questions here is a good start. Also go to TSA.gov and read what's going on (including the 311 rule).

You can carry the quart plastic bag with any liquids you need in your purse, carry on or backback and just take it out before going through security and put it back after passing through.

I usually try to wear shoes that slip on and off easily.

Happy trails.
Mar 31st, 2008, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

No, jbella, you did not sound mean. Thanks for your help. Actually, I found the advice from mhc to be very helpful. My comment was not directed at mhc.
I haven't flown in a couple of years and I am not familiar with the new restrictions. Maybe my question seemed silly to some.
Mar 31st, 2008, 02:14 PM
mhc

Your question was certainly not silly.

This rule in particular has been a true learning experience for me.

Perhaps it was dense of me but I never thought of mascara or toothpaste as liquids. TSA explained it quite clearly.

I hope that ipod_robbie will chime in again to clarify because I just did not read that post as an insult.

I took it as a clever little twist on words from someone who is maybe as fed up as I am by the fact that there are so many evil people in the world that I have to waste my time with caring whether toothpaste is a liquid or solid.

"Sorry to HIJACK the thread",
"items I normally carry in my backpack...lighter fluid, napalm, etc.?"

In a surprising moment of levity, amd I rarely have them, I asked the "hijacker" to let us all know where he/she would be when traveling with his/her "tools of the trade."

I would never want to offend anyone and definitely would not want to join the attempt of one poster to insult another.
Mar 31st, 2008, 05:18 PM

The 3 ounce rule in the 1 quart bag has been confusing, even for experienced travelers. You have to evaluate everything that you have with you in your purse, pockets, jacket, laptop bag, etc. I have nearly lost pocket knives that I carry in my back pocket without even realizing they were there. I got it into my checked luggage just in time.

I can understand the sarcasm some posters might want to interject.

About all that is left are strip searches or having to wear hospital gowns as the only way they will let you through security.
Mar 31st, 2008, 08:36 PM

It is just an observation of mine as far as the bags are concerned. But I have found the ones that are available at airports seem to be pretty flimsy, and with all the pulling out of your carryon and putting back in I have found that they tend to rip.

As a result I have used (and this is not and advert for them) Glad sandwich bags (the one litre/one quart ones). They seem to last a bit longer and are more robust. As I say, not an advert for them, just that I find that they are a bit more sturdy and you are less likely to have a rip and spill your contents all over the floor at the screening station.
Apr 1st, 2008, 04:32 AM

Wow, a one liter sandwich bag will hold one heck of a sandwich! lol Yes, I know what you meant--just picturing a huge sandwich going into a 1 liter plastic bag.
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:45 AM

Jake1: Don't quite understand what you mean. A 1 liter/1 quart ziplok is only very slightly larger than a plastic sandwich bag. Depending on the brand, sandwich bags are about the same length as a quart baggie and maybe 3/4 of an inch or an inch narrower.

Apr 1st, 2008, 08:48 AM

I was joking.
Apr 1st, 2008, 08:49 AM

That's what the lol meant.
Apr 1st, 2008, 10:00 AM

For those who don't travel much this is a hard concept because you are used to packing items a certain way - ie in toiletry bags and handbags. It was a hard concept for my mom to get because she kept thinking toiletry bag and kept trying to place her meds in the 311 bag even though they weren't a liquid. You have to change the way you think about packing.

I pack my liquids in the 311 bag and then AFTER I'm though security, I just place the items in my handbag.

I heard on the news that certain airports (or TSA) are thinking about testing security lines for those who don't travel very often. I think this is great idea!

Search this Thread