Probably silly Business Class question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2019, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I'm usually a Coach/Economy passenger, but I splashed out for Business Class on Emirates for a trip to Zambia next year. I'm completely unfamiliar with the perks of Business Class fares. The T&Cs of the fare say that the fare is refundable for $400. I'm wondering if I need to add the fare to my trip insurance (to the tune of about $200) or if I just pay the $400 to Emirates if I need to cancel the trip. How does refunding a Business Class fare work? I really feel like a newbie on this, but I don't want to pay to ensure the fare if I'm reading this correctly.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 09:32 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It has to do with the detailed fare rules for the Emirates ticket. If they say they'll refund the ticket less a $400 fee, then presumably the process would be straightforward; there are probably claim forms that they would send you and you'd complete. I'd pay special attention to how long before the flight that benefit will apply; I'd imagine that same-day (or maybe 48 hours) advance notice wouldn't fly with Emirates, but it will be in the fine print.

Here's the online claim from on Emirates' website - https://www.emirates.com/english/hel...d-request.aspx . People on Flyertalk say it takes 2 - 4 weeks for the refunds to appear.

As for adding the change/cancellation fee on your trip insurance, it's really your call. For me, it would depend on what else on the trip is non-refundable (hotel/game lodge bookings, cars, etc.) and again, on the specific terms in the policy. An extra $200 for the (hopefully) remote chance of you having to cancel seems like too much for me, but YMMV.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may get more than just the fee refunded with travel insurance. Policies can include out of country medical care, repatriation if injured (or worse), and refund of costs caused by delays, trip interruption, baggage loss or delay, and more.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both.

Thanks Gardyloo, I did see the claim form but after having been a "cannot cancel for any reason without losing your money" passenger for so long I found it too good to be true that I might get a refund, less the fee.

AJPeabody, I already have insured the rest of the trip and have trip interruption, travel delays, baggage, evacuation insurance, etc. I would just be paying additional to include the airfare to that policy in the event I have to cancel. It seems like belt and suspenders to me.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never tried to get a refund, but I've never flown an airline where you couldn't apply the fees to another ticket, with a change fee. You have the change fee no matter what. But I never have flown an airline that I never intended to fly again that I can think of, at least not my main flights. I have lost money on an Easyjet flight once when I changed itineraries but that wasn't a big fare, so I expected that.

I fly united a lot and have done that, cancelled a flight and just applied the funds to a completely different flight 6 months later, minus the change fee.

The point of insurance is to insure possible losses. Your loss would be the change fee. Insurance wont reimburse you the full cost of an airline ticket if you didn't suffer that full loss. It's up to you whether the insurance premium is worth it, I imagine the premium might go up $40, though (about 10 pct of the amt of what you insure). You can easily figure that out and decide if it's worth it to you.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 12:42 PM

Actually, if all but $400 of the airfare is refundable, you need only insure for the additional $400 as a simple increase in the coverage amount on your insurance policy. Should be anything from nothing to a few percent of the $400. Just call your travel insurer's customer service number.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJPeabody
Actually, if all but $400 of the airfare is refundable
That’s what I’m trying to wrap my head around. With a Business Class fare, is that the case? I find that too good to be true, but at that price, maybe that’s a usual benefit. I’m willing to risk losing the $400 but not the full fare. I likely won’t add the $400 to my insurance policy but would add the full fare if it weren’t refundable. I guess I’m looking for the “catch”. What’s the catch, or isn’t there one?
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 03:45 PM

No catch. Your analysis is correct. So, look up the exact terms of your fare' cancellation and change rules. The knowledge will determine your path. By the way, my last trip when I had to increase the insured amount, they said the premium goes up every $1000 covered, and since my additional amount did not increase the insured amount across a $1000 bracket, no additional premium was needed.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. I’ve learned a lot today. And I didn’t know that about increasing the insurance amount either. Good to know!
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 06:15 PM

Actually, I learned most of it from the travel insurance company customer service!
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 07:36 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We always insure the change fees if it is on a airline we use frequently.
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 01:10 PM

Not answering your question, amy, but just want you to know it is so worth it to fly business on Emirates.

I just did it on the way to Tanzania and back - to the safari with Wild Source that you recommended! The safari was amazing - thank you again for all your help. Enjoy your new adventure - and Emirates business!
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Good to know, scdreamer! It is sticker shock but the chauffeur service won me over! I flew Kenya Airways’ Business last year, which was my first experience with Business but it wasn’t anything like what Emirates looks like. I’m actually excited for the flights! I’m glad it was the icing on the cake for you on your safari!

Old Oct 26th, 2019, 07:47 AM

Just back from our fabulous Wild Source safari to Cape Town and three camps in Botswana. Flawless! Thanks so much for the recommendation.

I flew business on Emirates and was wowed. So worth it. The vacation starts at your front door when they pick you up and ends when they drop you off. In between is pure comfort, convenience and luxury. Especially in the 380’s. Didn’t bother to add the few hundred on to the trip insurance.

You’ll never regret it.

Old Oct 28th, 2019, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you shouldbewriting! Glad to hear your trip went well too, hope to hear more about it!
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 01:42 PM

Yes, please, Wild Source, can you tell us where you went in Botswana (which camps) and how you liked them? Maybe on a new thread (??) I went again two years ago and was just blown away.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 05:54 PM

Not sure if you do safaritalk, but I’m posting a trip report under Senior Safari.. Still a couple sections to post. I’ll post here too, if you don’t follow that blog.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by amyb
Good to know, scdreamer! It is sticker shock but the chauffeur service won me over! I flew Kenya Airways’ Business last year, which was my first experience with Business but it wasn’t anything like what Emirates looks like. I’m actually excited for the flights! I’m glad it was the icing on the cake for you on your safari!

Emirates is ranked one of the worlds best per Skytrax ratings. You will see not all biz class is the same. We are flying them for the first time in January though it’s only a 4 hour flight so It’s not the long haul you will experience.
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 05:53 AM

I have used Emirates to a return flight to Dubai with Economy Class. Very satisfied and I can say the economy feels like business class on other airlines!