Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Probably silly weather question….anyone in Italy right now?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are leaving for Italy on Monday, March 16. We will be in Florence 5 nights, Tuscany for 6 nights and then Rome for 5 nights. I've been obsessively checking the weather for a month trying to decide what to bring. The weather predictions now are mid 60's while we are in Florence and then mid 50's for the rest of the trip.

We live in Texas and when it's in the 50's that's cold for us, so I had picked out some wool pants, raincoat and a mid weight coat to take, although, it's Spring here at home and it's hard to think about going back to coats. Then, I read an entry in Elizabeth Minchilli's blog that talked about it being the beginning of Spring in Rome, trees were blooming and they had started working on their garden in the country.

Now, here's the probably silly question….I lived in Western Idaho from December one year until May. In late April, when the temps hit the upper 50's, it felt like Spring, almost time for wearing shorts. Temperature just feels different in different places. When the temp hits 65 in NYC, it's warm; 65 in Texas, not so much. What does the 50's and 60's feel like in Italy? I understand this is subjective. Please if anyone is there now, let me know what you are experiencing.
Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 02:59 PM

On our first trip to Italy some years ago, we went in mid-March, weather was overall great with only a light jacket necessary w lightweight pants, probably packed couple pairs of capris, too. We went from Amalfi to Tuscany with weather consistently the same (perhaps 60-70) and sunny, except for one colder rainy day in Sorrento where I wore a full-length packable raincoat w hood but we still needed umbrellas. However, when we were in Rome about 5 years ago again in late March, it was cooler and wetter for half of the week there. I wore every layer I had under another full-length raincoat. So, I would take baselayers (I love merino wool), clothes are much more expensive to purchase there than here. Thin layering is key. Also waterproof footwear (not winter styles, but waterproof leather or goretex).
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 04:00 PM

You're right. It's pretty subjective. My husband and were walking around today (in live Italy) and I complained it was cold it and he said he was overheated and wished he hadn't bothered with his windbreaker.

I think you are stuck with the fact that nightime temps in Florence this coming week are going to be chilly, and since it is a rather damp river valley, I think you will feel it. Out in the countryside, if often feels cooler and breezy. Once you are in Rome, wool patns and mid-weight jacket will be too heavy.

I don't even own a pair of wool pants. I layer leggings when it is cold, or wear lighweight trousers over leggings. What really keeps me warm is quilt vests (I have a fleece one too) and warm neck scarves. If you have a vest, that might be enough with warm scarf and raincoat.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 04:06 PM

PS: Part of the reason you've experienced different feelings about temps in different places is that you're acclimatized to the very hot summers of Texas so 60s feel cool, or else the freezing winters of Idaho, so 50s feels balmy. If you had a fairly warm winter where you are in Texas, nighttime in Florence might feel a bit chill to you, especially since it hasn't been warm enough yet to heat up the stones during the day.

We've been seeing daffodils and fruit tree blossoms for more than a few week in Italy, but that doesn't mean the temps are always balmy. It was a fairly mild winter, and that's part of it.
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 11:47 PM

topeater,

We are in Rome now, and I am surprised at how chilly it feels. I believe part of this is due to the moisture in the air as it is supposed to rain today. I am not usually cold, and I was cold yesterday walking around. I was wearing a light sweater, and had to put on my down jacket (I have a very light down jacket from Uniqlo that fits into a stuff sack that is very small and fits into my purse). My husband also wore a sweater and his down jacket).

Today is very heavily overcast, and feels chillier. I will be bringing my knit gloves when we go out as that was the part of me that ended up feeling most cold yesterday.

One of the things you can do is look at the live cams that are scattered around Italy. There are several in Rome and at least one in Florence. I did that prior to leaving to see what the weather looked like and what people were wearing. I know it's not the same as feeling the weather, but it does give some visual input.
https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia.html

Hope that helps!!

Happy travels,

LisaG
Old Mar 14th, 2015, 11:51 PM

Oh, I forgot to say.....yes to the layers, heavy pants, and scarf!

Appropriate words for this good walking weather are "crisp" and "brisk"!

LisaG
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 12:58 AM
kja

You are describing normative reactions to "habituation" - one becomes accustomed to something, and then notices the changes. So the mid-50s will fell warm if you've been in colder climes and will feel cold if you've been in warmer ones. Humidity levels can make a difference, but I doubt that speaks to your issue....

My advice = get some silk underthings -- long johns, tops, etc. As a rule, they are VERY lightweight and take almost no space. If you are cold, you can were them under whatever you were planning to wear. And if the day warms up, you can slip into a WC and take them off, putting them into your day-pack.

Hope that helps!
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 01:13 AM

Im returning to Florence on Wednesday after being in Perth Australia for the hot hot summer and all i do is layer mind you i left Florence last October and it was still hot then so im looking forward to some cool weather. I only have silk and woollen (jumpers) and a wind jacket good luck you will lov it
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 02:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
so I had picked out some wool pants, raincoat and a mid weight coat to take, although, it's Spring here at home and it's hard to think about going back to coats.>>

I really wouldn't bother with the mid-weight coat - the space would be better taken up with a few more layers - perhaps a jacket or another couple of thin jumpers. But definitely the raincoat - useful if the days are cold/wet and in the evenings to keep off the chill.

Even if it's not that warm, the sunshine can still be strong so remember the sunglasses and the sunblock!
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 04:32 AM

I'm still wearing wool slacks, although it's cooler where I live than it is in Rome. I think you could manage with cotton slacks or chinos, in both Tuscany and Rome, if you have a good heavy sweater and a rain jacket that you can wear over it. Bring along a warm hat, scarf, and gloves just in case you need them. They don't take up much space.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone that replied. LisaG, your idea about the skycam was brilliant as I am very visual. Looks pretty chilly in Rome right now.

Have taken silk under things on trips during the winter, but didn't think Italy would be that chilly in March, but will pack a couple now.

Am packing now….so excited to get there!
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 09:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
To judge from the television coverage of the Italy v France rugby match today, the weather is Rome is wet and cold.

for once it's warmer here in Cornwall. [but not much].
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 11:56 AM

Right now in Florence it is that bone-chilling humid cold, and it's supposed to rain for the next couple of days. The temp may not be that cold, but you can sure feel it. You should bring the mid-weight jacket if you plan to be walking around at night. Forget bringing the warm scarf - just buy one here.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 12:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Relative yes. I'm a Bostonian leaving for Italy this week, Rome to Volterra to Cinque Terre to Florence. 50s is downright tropical for me, 60s would have me at the beach. Yet another day of low 30s and snow here, which is only slightly better than the usual high of 27 the last few weeks. We hit 47 once this week and I was out that day in a sweatshirt. I'm bringing light sweaters, long sleeve t-shirts and a fleece, but I'm leaving the down at home.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 04:42 PM

This is obviously subjective - I'm in Rome right now and have been very happy that although it's rainy, I haven't been very cold! However, I'm here from Seattle, where it was in the 50s and rainy. I have been wearing jeans, a long-sleeved shirt, and a warm fleece and have been comfortable (with an umbrella, mostly to ward off the guys selling umbrellas every block or two). I'm not wearing winter under-layers. Have a great time!