Ovenight in vicinity of Gatwick

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2004, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can get economical flights to London this Fall. Would like to then use EasyJet r/t from Gatwick to save money on trip to Prague. However, it would take an overnight in the vicinity of Gatwick since the return flights gets in a 8:00 pm, and the flights back to the States would not start until next morning. Impractical to go into London and back in so short a time. Are there places to stay near Gatwick that are easily accesible, economical, and have a nice local pub to pass the p.m.?
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 06:55 AM

I'd post this question on the Europe board. That has lots more traffic than this one and I bet you'd get lots of responses there.

To me it doesn't sound like you have any time much if you land at 8pm and then fly out again the next morning. You'll be lucky to clear the airport until 9pm if all goes well meaning you won't have much time wherever you go. Unless I misinterpreted your timings?
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 11:00 AM

There are two hotels that are "easily accessible" although probably not too economical. The Gatwick Hilton is attached to the South Terminal, and Le Meridien Gatwick is attached to the North Terminal. There is a monorail that runs between the terminals. You will probably have to pay £100+ per night for either of these two, although I believe you can get rates of around £90 per room via hotel discount websites. There are lots more hotels in the vicinity, some chain, some independent. Try a search on "Gatwick Airport Hotels", or expedia for more options.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 12:53 PM

If you're arriving at London Heathrow then you will probably be able to pick up a good deal on a flight to Prague with British Airways or Czech AIrlines. Czech in particular can be quite cheap.

Don't automatically assume that the budget airlines are always the cheapest option, espeically if you would need to change airport AND spend an extra night in a London hotel.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 01:00 PM

This site has places from about 48 pounds that do transfers also to/from the airport, a good priced one is the Gatwick Moat House Hotel, at 64 pounds.

http://www.hotel-reservations.8k.com...rt_hotels.html
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

From the responses and my own reseach, I find London is too expensive for an overnight stop if you are trying to save money on a trip to/from the States to continental Europe. It would only work out if London or environs were on your itinerary for a couple of days.
If I pursue this any further, I'll follow-up on toadstools recc.
thanks for all the comments.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 12:08 AM

In many cases, London is great for an overnight stop if you are using Priceline. For example, I won the Holiday Inn Ariel near Heathrow for a $40 bid (+t/f) in July, and I am staying there overnight before departing on a cheap BMI fliight.

You can often get cheaply-priced hotels near Gatwick on Priceline also. See http://www.betterbidding.com and http://www.biddingfortravel.com .
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 09:43 AM

Hi

Try www.travelodge.co.uk and find Gatwick Airport (right next to airport). I stayed there last week for £25. This was for 2 adults (but I think each room can take 4 adults). No breakfast. But there is a pub on site that does decent food.

You can either get the bus (£3 each & goes every 45 mins) to the airport or get taxi.

Rooms are basic but clean.

Mark
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:06 AM

Priceline is probably the best option. Lastminute.com and laterooms.com are good for 1 night last minute deals. There's an Ibis which is probably the best cheapest place but a PL bid in a nicer place is better.