opinions on flight LAX-CMB

Mar 6th, 2018, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

opinions on flight LAX-CMB

We're planning a family trip (2 adults, 2 children aged 7&10, seasoned travellers) to Sri Lanka Christmas 2018 and have 2 same-priced flight options, just wondered if anyone had an opinion.

Option 1 is to fly Singapore Airlines, it's 2 stops (Tokyo and Singapore) but around 25h travel time each way. We also would have the option of adding on a stopover one way for $50min pp in Singapore. Longest flight would be 11h45mins BUT one of the changeovers is only 55min

Option 2 is Qatar via Doha, going there 22h, coming back 32 (argh)

Any opinions on which airline (economy class) would be better, and what you'd personally do - 2 stopovers or 1?

Also any thoughts on when might be best to book flights? Right now we could get either option for just shy of $1K each which seems not awful, I'm assuming the longer we leave it the more expensive it becomes as Christmas is so popular and Sri Lanka is especially....
Mar 6th, 2018, 04:17 PM

I'm assuming that 55 minute stopover is in Tokyo? I used to fly from Perth to the US via Singapore and Tokyo on SIA. For that routing we basically got off the plane cleared security (again) and got back on.

I've also flown Qatar Airlines via Dubai (not Doha, but close).

Personally, I'd rather fly Singapore Airlines than Qatar. That 32 hour return sounds like a very long layover in Doha (?)

That stopover in Singapore could be a good thing with such long flights - have you been? Lots to see and do there.
Mar 6th, 2018, 05:52 PM

I agree with Melnq - I wouldn't worry about a 55 minute connection at Narita.

If you can get tickets for under 1K, I'd jump on them now. That's a good price, especially on Singapore Air.
Mar 6th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

really? - ok sold. The 55min is actually Singapore which makes me think maybe rather than poss miss a connecting flight we should take advantage of the 24hour stopover, is that worth doing? I don't think we'd want to stay longer as we have a lot planned for Sri Lanka (esp having the children we tend to take travelling slowly)
Mar 7th, 2018, 05:17 AM

As for a preference to stop over I would go with Singapore without hesitation. You mentioned 24 hrs. there but if you can add at least one extra day I think you will not be disappointed. We loved it there during our 5 day stay 2 yrs. ago before our cruise and plan to return this fall.
Mar 7th, 2018, 05:37 AM

That 1K price sounds fantastic - we used to pay that routinely to fly from Perth to Singapore, which was only five hours. I'd grab it.

Twenty-four hours in Singapore isn't much, but will give you time to see the zoo - perhaps the kids would like that? Taxis in Singapore are efficient and cheap. The MRT is a good option too, but more effort involved. If you have your onward boarding passes, you might be able to stay in the Transit Hotel at Changi and leave the airport for the day, instead of leaving the airport for just one night and then going back to Changi the following day. You will need to have your onward boarding passes with you when you leave the airport or you won't get back air side, where the hotel is. On second thought there's also a hotel land side too - can't remember the name - it might be a better option.
Mar 7th, 2018, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

this is really helpful, thankyou - is 55min transfer time in Singapore a cause for concern?
Mar 7th, 2018, 03:18 PM

No, I wouldn't worry about a 55 min transfer time in Singapore. That airport is incredibly efficient.
Mar 8th, 2018, 06:07 AM

Best airports in the world 2017, according to Skytrax - Business Insider

Changi rated #1 in the world per skytrax.
Mar 15th, 2018, 06:22 AM

I have taken the LAX-Tokyo-Singapore flights and they walk you through the airport to your connecting flight. If the incoming LAX-Tokyo is late they will hold the Tokyo flight since so many people make that connection.

Singapore airport is wonderful. I deliberately booked a 10 hour layover on the return so that I could take the free tour. They are popular and fill up. If you have doubts that you could meet the visa requirements to be eligible I would do the 24 hour layover one way.
Airport Attractions - Singapore Changi Airport

There is so much stuff inside the airport you might not want to leave!

Airport Attractions - Singapore Changi Airport

I found Singapore Airlines to be great, even in cattle class.
Excellent Experience on Singapore Airlines Long Haul cattle class

Search this Thread