Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airline LAX to Tokyo info appreciated

Feb 28th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be flying on Singapore Air from LAX to Tokyo on March 17th.
( A Happy St. Paddy's Day flight, we hope!) If any fellow travelers are familiar with customer "amenties" provided by Singapore Air, we'd appreciate the info. Things we're concerned about:
1. Do they provide complimentary pillows and blankets?

2. Do the 45" regulation carry-ons fit in their overhead bins?

3. On this flight, do they serve two meals?

4. Is it appropriate to wear Dockers and a light parka-type jacket for
the flight and then for checking in to our Hilton Hotel? We'll have
other clothes with us, but don't think they'll be comfortable for a
long flight.

5. Although we're really looking forward to our trip to Japan,
we dread the long flight and want to do adequate prep to
make it as comfortable as possible. Any other suggestions
regarding practical travel prep tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all for any tips or suggestions!
Feb 28th, 2010, 08:33 AM

It's been years since I flew Singapore, but from what I have heard not much has changed. I expect you will get the pillow and blanket.

Not sure why you are worried about clothing. These days anything seems to go on airlines.

I flew that route and while it's long, you are flying probably one of the best airlines out there as far as the customer expereince so that's good!
Feb 28th, 2010, 06:51 PM

>>>Singapore Airline LAX to Tokyo info appreciated<<<

Yo, tomarkot. (And warm congrats on choosing my all-time cherished business/(occasional pleasure) travel airline. You are in for some sweet times with those sensational Singapore Girls, via SQ11.)

Have already answered (one hopes) some of your enquiries over on the Asia board. Don't forget the SQ board on flyertalk, and some rather fine travellers and friends over on SQTalk.

Now,

1) you will have blankies and pillows. Snuggle up with your beloved.

2) wouldn't know about the 45 size. (I get by just fine on my business trips with max ~ 20 size, containing my little electronic gizmos.) Check out singaporeair.com for more details - and 'the sqtalk girl'.

3) you'll have plently of food and drink - no worries. (And can book special meals, even if flying in economy.
Again, singaporeair.)

4) your attire sounds just fine; most anything goes these days, even on the all-sensational SQ. (Those Girls and their exquisite sarong kebayas more than make up for any shortcomings from the pax.)

5) best check with your doc on this, but I do just fine on SQ long-hauls with plenty of water, a glass (or two) of high quality champagne, walking around the cabin (more Girl sighting opportunities), and 10mg of Ambien. Sweet dreams.

Savour your SIA rides ... (and don't forget those late-night, in-room massage treatments in joyous Japan.)

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Mar 7th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone who has flown LAX to NRT remember how the long flight is? We've read 9 1/2 hours and 11 3/4 hours. We're hoping it's closer to the former. Thanks!
Mar 7th, 2010, 02:20 PM

For a westbound LAX->NRT flight on a 747-400, it's about 11:30 during this time of the year.

The return trip is about 9:30, again, at this time of the year on a 747-400.
Mar 7th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, rkkwan, for your info. Although we wish it were shorter, it helps to have the correct info and prepare for the long haul. Any tips you have for making that long flight more bearable would be appreciated.
Mar 7th, 2010, 04:33 PM

Depending on your point of view, I may be the best or worst person to ask for tips. As I fly across the Pacific in coach all the time, often on 15-hour trips. So, a LAX-NRT flight is basically a stroll in the park.

Anyways, first thing is stop dreading it. It's really no big deal. Anybody can do it.

Second, don't worry about attire and etiquette. The Tokyo Hilton people won't care less what you wear into their hotel. You are their customers.

As for the plane ride, SQ has very good entertainment on its planes and good service. But always have a backup plan, in case the screen malfunction or something. It never hurts to bring some good reading material.

Their should be three meals on this flight. One after takeoff, one before landing, as well as a mid-flight snack. Your concern is eating TOO MUCH, not going hungry. And the FAs will bring water/juice/soda almost once a hour mid-flight. Drink plenty of fluids.

Anyways, I am unlike many others on this board. I don't plan my sleeping, I don't take whatever pills for it. I sleep when I'm tired, and I don't sleep when I'm not tired. I listen to music when I feel like it, watch a movie when I feel like it, I read a book when I feel like it; and I don't do any when I don't feel like it. Simple as that.
Mar 10th, 2010, 05:13 PM

In coach, beyond the blanket and pillow, you'll also get an inflight "amenities" kit... Consisting of a small zippered fabric bag with a pair of light weight socks, a toothbrush and a very small tube of toothpaste.

45 inch bag was no problem at all for carry on storage.

They turned on the cabin lights and started bustling about the cabin 2 1/2 hours out from arrival in both Tokyo and LAX.