Need general advices

Jan 28th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Need general advices

It's been a while since I flew international, and now the hair on my head stands up when I look at the prices

2 people will fly San Francisco - Copenhagen (SFO - CPH) RT August 8-23, unfortunately the dates are fixed as a cruise is involved, and we want as much time as possible in Copenhagen pre-cruise (only 2 or 3 days)

I signed up with Orbitz, and will be diligently checking the price change often, maybe even daily - I've noticed, most of the websites show the same price and same airlines, probably interconnected, and it won't make sence to sign up with anybody else?

Can a price change by an airline NOT be reflected on Orbitz? I don't care about FF miles, we don't travel that much.

And please tell me, the price will go down Maybe in April - May?
Jan 28th, 2010, 12:17 PM

Orbitz like other web-based travel agents, gets its information from a variety of sources; in the case of Orbitz they rely upon a third party service run by ITA Software (which also hosts the "gold standard" of airfare search - not booking - functions at http://matrix.itasoftware.com ).

Most airlines file their fares with "global distribution systems" (GDSs) such as Sabre, Amadeus and a couple others. Sites like ITA (and some online agencies) will link to those GDSs (and many travel agents can access those databases independently.)

Fares on the GDSs are updated all the time - sometimes more than once a day - so the only "lag" time between when an airline changes fares and when, say, Orbitz shows them, is the time between the GDS update and when ITA queries the GDSs. IIRC ITA accesses them multiple times a day, so there's not much chance that the fare you'll see on Orbitz isn't the best and latest. If it is, it will be just a few hours before it's updated.

As for your trip, hoping prices will go down is a gamble. What will oil prices do? How about the dollar? If seats are selling now, then the airlines will assume that demand is great enough that there's no reason so sell them cheaper as flight time approaches. It usually works the other way - as the cheaper seats are sold off early in the booking cycle, the remaining seats - a diminishing commodity - get more expensive rather than less.

But one can't know for certain; one can only play the odds. I like to say that Airline Revenue Management is an advanced course at Hogwarts.
Jan 28th, 2010, 04:34 PM

Faina, Also look at Kayak.com and sign up for fare alert. I needed roundtrip flights from LA to London and kept watching for about 4 months before something finally broke free with the frozen high airfare. I ended up with a BMI code share on Air New Zealand Non-stop for $946.00 and the fare had been frozen at about $1291 or so for a very long time.

If you need a hotel in Copenhagen, look into Hotel The Square fantastic location!

http://www.kayak.com
Jan 28th, 2010, 06:48 PM

I haven't found any of those automatic fare-checker websites to be useful.

Fares are higher than ever this year. I think you have to shop all resources diligently yourself frequently and hope that fares don't go up while you're waiting for them to come down.

I've been shopping Paris for April. While shopping fights, a hotel deal went away. Then, when another hotel deal popped up, fares had gone up.

It's a lot more difficult to decide when to pull the trigger when you know you're going regardless of the fares and have fixed dates.
Jan 28th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, all!

Hpeabody, yes, I will be looking for a hotel soon, this week is a recovery week from the prior vacation $166 is a little more then I'd like to pay, but I agree, this location looks perfect.
Jan 30th, 2010, 11:22 AM

You might consider looking at flights to places like Hamburg or even Berlin or Amsterdam. Sometimes you can find a flight from one of these to Copenhagen - something like Ryanair (yes, I know.) You could take the train from one of these and it could be all part of the adventure. Also consider looking at flights from LAX. Not just a hop skip and jump from you, I know, but perhaps you can figure out a way to get there if the flights are significantly cheaper.

You can also look at a list of the airlines that fly to Copenhagen and check the websites of some of them. I have occasionally found that little secret treasure that Kayak or Orbitz didn't warn me about. And be sure to use that Matrix2 web site as recommended above - it is really great.

Be creative!
Jan 31st, 2010, 09:39 AM

Don't rule out Priceline for your hotel in Copenhagen. We stayed at the Marriott there pre-cruise and some significant savings by specifying the star level and bidding.

Gardyloo - thanks for the explanation you did - I found it useful
Feb 1st, 2010, 04:05 AM

I'd take hsmithcr's recommendation one step further. Don't just check the airlines' websites: you should also sign up for their fare alerts. In addition to some of the American airlines and airlines mentioned above, I'd add Air France (which sometimes has some very good deals to places other than France) and Scandinavian. I read recently that some airlines are offering good deals to their own subscribers, and that these deals don't necessarily show up on orbitz, kayak etc.
Feb 1st, 2010, 04:31 AM

Many people always rule out Priceline. Chances of being assigned a hotel where you do not want to be or which is of lower quality than you want are not outweighed by getting a superior hotel to your request. And you cannot cancel.
Feb 1st, 2010, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

All dutifully noted, thank you!