Differences in UA fares!

Search

Differences in UA fares!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differences in UA fares!

Wondering if I've discovered a secret to on-line booking with UA! I was checking out flights ORD-BKK today, since I know, for sure, that I'm heading back there in April. If I put in specific dates, I came up with an (SWU) upgradeable fare of $1717.20 + taxes/fees. The route is ORD-NRT-BKK going over, but BKK-NRT-SEA-ORD coming back.

If, however, I did a search for flexible dates, I found a much cheaper fare, and for the dates I wanted anyway, for $1217.20 +!!! Well, I jumped on that one. For sure. And without hesitation.

Only difference is that both ways are 3-leg flights instead of just the return. Going out I head to LAX, then NRT, then BKK. Coming back is via NRT/SFO. (I know, I complained about SFO recently, but I've got more time for my plane change on this itinerary so should not encounter the trouble I had last time I came back this way)

Is it possible that I can save money everytime simply by searching for flexible dates??? If so, I'll certainly keep booking that way.

Your experiences?
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 04:54 PM

It's not a sure bet, but it does offer you a much better shot at asving money.

(Although after all the posts saying "Never again" about SFO I find this amazing! Once again my theroy of posters saying "never again" only meaning "well unless it's cheaper" is proven out!)
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

CarolA... I admit... it's cheaper by way of SFO. I avoided SFO on my trip to SYD in March though. That was the one I was writing about at that time. But the less than happy experience at SFO was on a return from BKK. This time I've got more time between flights so it should not be quite so hairy! I was sure I'd miss my plane to ORD.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 11:16 PM

I think that is a new bug in their webpage. Haven't seen that before. The BKK W fares were $200 less a month ago. For NRT-SFO are you on the 777 (old seats) or 747 (new seats).
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

NRT-SFO is on a triple 7, I think. So probably old seats. But that's OK too. BTW, my usual trip on flts 881/882 with no stopovers in any west coast city is priced at $2200!!!!!! I can put up with SFO/777s old seats, whatever, if I can save $900 and still get biz class.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 05:04 AM

<i>Is it possible that I can save money everytime simply by searching for flexible dates???</i>

I use the "flexible dates" search fairly frequently, depending on how flexible my travel needs are. Sometimes it gives me better options, but usually not for the same dates that I entered when searching. I typically search by "schedule & price" and then click on the "flexible dates" tab on the search results screen if I don't like what I see. If wanting to upgrade, I'd also double check that the alt search is really returning upgradeable fares. I've had situations where it has "switched" to lowest price mode. As mrwunrful says, the site has plenty of bugs.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

I'm going to do the flex search a lot more often. And no, it didn't switch back to lowest price mode. All flights in my itin are upgrade eligible. Now I sit back and wait for those upgrades to come in.

I hope I can save some money (but still get mileage credit) by doing the same type of search on Swiss for a trip in early April (ORD-ZRH-ORD).

I'll be over 50k by May 5th! Looks like I can probably keep my 1k status for yet a second year. Sure hope so anyway.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 10:49 AM

Hello Carol
Quick question re flight ord-bkk , never took united before
but this time we are booked on UA 881 we have seats 7ab
you have travelled this route, would it be better on the upper deck and are they flat beds or just lie flat seats??
tks for your input
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi Evelyne,
I've had seats in row 7 before. Supposedly the biz class seats downstairs are longer than the ones upstairs. I really didn't notice a difference. I prefer the upper deck. You should have lie-flat seats on your flight, as I think all the planes on 881 are the new configuration. Or at least they have been, in my recent experience.

When are you going back?

Carol
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 01:08 PM

We are booked for July 18-august 02, not crazy about the month but my son in law has a contruction company and in montreal the last two weeks of july is CONSTRUCTION HOLIDAY.
but anytime really as long as I go back is fine. This time I really would like to explore more downtown , like you we love shopping and just decide in the morning where to go. Any specific street we should visit, beside the big store like mbk or similar, I will definitely do the market, love the market and this time will go to the sky bar, u did mention it
just can't wait.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

I don't know if I'll be back in BKK in late July or not. I have been several times during July. Who knows! Maybe we'll be able to meet up again!

Enjoy your trip!

Carol
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Evelyne, have you ridden in the upper deck before? I really like getting the window seat so I have access to the narrow but handy storage area between the seat and the window. The closer you are to the middle of the upper deck (rows 14/15) the "wider" that storage area is, as the walls upstairs are angled. If you have the first or last row of seats, you will have the narrowest window storage space... but it is still downright handy!!

Anyway, that narrow storage space is so much more convenient than the overhead bin (IMO) because you have access to it without having to leave your seat. The overhead bins in the upper deck are not very big. Most, if not all, roll-aboard bags need to be stowed in the storage compartment located just at the top of the stairway. I purposely try to carry a slim-style duffel bag that will fit in the storage space under the window, if I know ahead of time that I'm sitting upstairs. I have a slim Longchamps tote (with zipper that makes it deeper) that always fits. My computer bag, if I carry it, is only about 5-6" deep, so it also fits.

I'm waiting for my upgrades to clear on my two trans-Pacific flights coming up soon. I hope to sit upstairs on the 747s. I really don't mind riding facing backwards, if that's all the seats that happen to be left when I get to pick mine. I don't really notice if I'm facing "the wrong way" because I'm usually asleep or maybe engrossed in a book or movie or Sudoku/crossword! The window shades are usually down (at flight attendant request) for better viewing of individual pop-up TV screens.

Carol
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 09:28 AM

No I have not been on upper deck but my portion Tokyo-Bkk with Thai is 12ab on upper deck,so I will experience it then.
I don't have much carry on Ipod and book and small purse, I will call UA and see if I can change seats I just did on my Swiss air flight on the return, it is early enough for seats changes. Sending u positive vibes for your upgrades..... it really makes a world of difference.
In case u make it to BKK in July let me know, would love this time to make it for supper
Enjoy yr time in Sydney
Eve