Missing Clothes from My Bag!!!

Jan 14th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Eddie

Missing Clothes from My Bag!!!

I have a strong feeling that the TSA security guards that checked my bag at the airport didn't put my items back in. I checked my luggage in and when I got it back (it didn't make the flight and got delievered to me the next day), there were 4 plastic bags of clothes from the front pocket that were missing. But there were other items that were not in seperate bags that weren't stolen, as well as a flier from TSA informing me that my bag had been searched. This leads me to believe it was not outright theft. Any one experience this or have any ideas on what to do? I've filed a theft claim with the airline, and called and left messages with the airport lost & found and the TSA, but its frustrating because you can only leave messages and I haven't gotten any responses yet.

Jan 14th, 2003, 12:03 PM
May

And so it starts. I fear this is going to be the norm from now on. Now that we can not lock our luggage I would expect that bags will generally be picked over. By who? Anyone behind the scenes that can get away with it. I'm sorry this happened to you. Please let us know if anyone does anything to rectify the situation.

Jan 14th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Gordy

Wouldn't it be wierd if you went to the mall and saw some guy wearing your shirt? And maybe his wife wearing your wife's sweater? What would you do? oooowwwooowwooohhhhh!

Jan 14th, 2003, 01:13 PM
sandi

My carry on luggage was searched recently, and I was told to sit on a chair, and the TSA security guard then, with his back toward me, sifted thru everything, including my money and jewelry, which I alwaYS keep in my carry on. I asked the agent wanding me if I could stand up and watch him do it, for fear he might 'palm' something. She said NO, in no uncertain terms and told me I could inventory my stuff afterward if I really felt I needed to. Now, who is going to stand there and try to see what might me missing with 150 other people trying to board the plane??? I simply don't understand the necessity of turning their back to a passenger.

Jan 14th, 2003, 01:48 PM
sss

with every thing going on and not being able to lock our bags there is going to be more and more carry on instead of checked baggage just to protect our property.
If we start putting our things in see thru ziplock bags we should put our names and addresses on the ziplocks with permanent pens. It might help some.

Jan 14th, 2003, 03:05 PM
xxx

I had something stolen once and was reimbursed for the full amount. You need to send a complaint. Maybe after stolen article complaints hit 5 million they will allow us to start locking bags again. It's only going to get worse. Sorry about your experience.

Jan 14th, 2003, 04:22 PM
New habits?

So, perhaps the Thing To Do now is to inventory what you pack as you pack it. Great marketing opportunity: clear plastic bags with place to write name, address, contents. Also I think I'm going to get a few pieces of WalMart (K-mart clearance?) crap jewelry to travel with, leave anything I care about at home. Only pack crappy clothes. Make use of the mails where possible for my good clothes -- no, not USPS, maybe FedEx?

Honestly, what a world!

Jan 14th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Suzy

Yeah, I just see my self sending my clothes for my safari to Kenya by USPS or FedEx. Come on

Jan 14th, 2003, 10:27 PM
Marilyn

I have passed through many international airports (Bangkok comes to mind, for example) where you must put your luggage to be checked through an xray machine before you get in line to check in. The security person puts a plastic strap around it after it clears the machine, and I presume you cannot check it if the strap has been broken.

So why can't US airports handle it the same way? Why does the luggage have to be screened and searched "behind the scenes"? I really think theft is going to become a HUGE problem -- it's bad enough as is.

And who cares if the clothes are old? If they're missing, you still have to replace them. I would hate to lose my comfortable walking shoes or something else difficult to replace. What a hassle!

Jan 14th, 2003, 11:57 PM
lisa

I feel travelling to/within the USA is becoming prohibitive. Not worth the hassels!

Jan 15th, 2003, 12:37 AM
john

Unfortunately, luggage is being screened behind the scenes because (1) the new scanners are huge, and there is not enough space in some airport lobbies for them; and (2) the scanners are expensive, and there are not enough of them to go around.

Jan 15th, 2003, 08:47 AM
New Habits

Oh, come on yourself! You don't think I was 100%? .... although I've been known to ship dirty or old clothes home to myself to make room in my luggage for new purchases.....

Jan 15th, 2003, 08:49 AM
New Habits

Joke's on me -- meant "100% serious" but now you get to assume I wasn't 100% "there"!

(If you're going on a safari, dearie, wouldn't you be better off only carrying that which you can carry on?)

Jan 17th, 2003, 05:15 AM
x`

How about sticking an address label on the plastic bags inside instead of using the marker?