Reload this Page >

Are you a Carry-on hog?

Search

Are you a Carry-on hog?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:02 AM
Carryon

Are you a Carry-on hog?

There has been a lot of talk lately on the sizes of carryon baggage and what people take on the plane. <BR><BR>Do you follow the rules ( 1 personal item &amp; a bag that fits in the 'bag sizer') or are you a 'hog' - taking 2 and 3 bags on the plane, cases of alcohol, HUGE duffels or rusacks? <BR><BR>Do you feel , as I do, that the airlines should better monitor carryon luggage? Maybe if they made everyone play by the rules , they wouldn't have to keep changing Carryon sizes. <BR><BR>( I don't know how many trips I have been on where I am just flabbergasted at people with a purse, carryon, shopping bag AND one of those 2-bottle liquor carriers - while I was concerned about packing all my stuff back into my regulation carryon so I could follow the rules.)

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:16 AM
Casey

I think they should monitor it better but they won't. It's really unfair-people carry on huge bags and i have seen one person fill up to 4 over head bins with his ownstuff on a full international flight! All I have is a small backpack and was asked to check it once because all the bins were full---people also board before their row is called to get to the bins first. It's a sad commentary on society.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:24 AM
blue

I've never understood why people even want to carry on 4 major things! <BR><BR>They don't make enough wheels to manage all that luggage in the terminals in my opinion!

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:58 AM
Debbie

<BR>Exactly! <BR>I don't understand the 'everything but the kitchen sink' mentality. <BR><BR>After lugging my regulation-size-20&quot; duffel from one end of O'hare to the other , to get to customs, I vowed to get one on wheels , so that wouldn't happen again. What do people do with those Oversize bags? and aren't those enormous stuffed backpacks heavy? <BR>Next thing you know - they will want to bring their golf clubs on board. <BR><BR>And why do they all think those rules for carryons DON'T APPLY TO THEM? what makes them so special? <BR><BR>I would throw a hissy fit if my small carryon was expected to be checked because the bins were full , and there was a bag that was obviously outside the carryon limit in the bins. I am sure I would be very popular with the rest of the plane, but no way would I let my 18&quot; bag be checked when somebody else came in with an oversize backpack or duffel.<BR>Sorry - not gonna happen.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:06 AM
Carryon

<BR>any response from those of you who exceed the limits?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:28 AM
Therese

I've not seen the degree of carry-on abuse that others describe. I've seen both airports and airlines enforce two bag (one of which is a purse or briefcase) rules rigorously over the last couple of years, and I adhere to them myself. The exception is purchases made in the airport, after you've passed security: particularly avid shoppers could probably acquire another two large bags of purchases. I don't find duty free to be worth the trouble, so don't have a problem there either. <BR><BR>I've not had problems finding space for my carry-ons, even on full flights. The time it takes for passengers with multiple packages to get settled is more of an issue for me, but still not a huge one.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:38 AM
Carryon

<BR>I know there are those of you out there that are guilty of this - <BR>for example Siobhan ,on a post re: Aer Lingus out of JFK wrote:<BR> &quot;...have never had my carry-on checked for weight and always bring loads as carry-on. i.e. the last time I had a case of Guinness and 1 backpack and 1 big bag. &quot;<BR><BR>?????

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:48 AM
Samsonite

Personally I've never carried on anything larger than a standard size backpack, and it irritates the hell out of me to see people carry on bags that are really nothing less than suitcases. I can, perhaps, offer some insight as to why SOME of these jerks do it.<BR><BR>A couple of years ago I landed at Heathrow as the first leg of a very busy itinerary. I left Heathrow directly by coach to Cheltenham, then to back to Southend, then on to many other points for an extended 4-week trek. Unfortunately the dolts of Air Canada couldn’t seem to manage getting my checked bag to the airport at the same time as they got me there. What a major hassle! Sure made me think twice about checking bags on the return home. Of course I did check a bag, but Air Can lost it on the return as well.<BR><BR>It would be remiss not to blame the airlines for a.) letting people carry on bags that obviously do not meet the criteria and b.) for not being able to manage the seemingly simple task of getting international traveler’s checked bags to the airport at the same time as the traveler.<BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:22 AM
Debbie

<BR>The thing is - we all face the same chance of not having our luggage when we get off the plane. <BR>What makes the &quot;carryon hog&quot; so much more important, that they should get to take as much on the plane as they want? <BR>If we all took the huge bags on board, they would have to stop letting ANY carryons on, or double the price of every ticket, so that we can use the seat next to us for our luggage. <BR><BR>Where did basic , common curtesy go?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:28 AM
nocarryonhog

Although I have not completely lost checked in luggages yet, I had my share of delayed deliveries<BR><BR>I still check in luggages that others would probably carryon. I use a small day pack to carry things I cannot afford to lose.<BR><BR>I always thought that current first hog grabs all situation is a carryover from the pre deregulation days when we had more direct flights and empty seats and overhead bin capacities. Asking people to behave well is a losing proposition when there is all to gain and nothing to lose.<BR><BR>Just as the airlines now use bulkhead rows as an reward for better customers, the overhead bin capacities, in current cattle class circumstances, would probably have to be a purchased convenience to avoid grab as much space as you can behavior.<BR><BR>The last flight we took, the cabin could not be secured for takeoff because this one girl took forever stuffing her huge duffel bag over my seat, holder up a long line of people behind her. Where was her seat? About 10 rows away.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:37 AM
Marilyn

I would like to see the airlines assign specific space in each overhead bin to each seat. That would entirely eliminate this problem. If people knew they couldn't count on using someone else's space they wouldn't bring so much on board.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:44 AM
Rex

I don't know why this post is appearing now. Seems to me that the airlines have virtually elminated carry-on abuse.<BR><BR>And even before changes related to September 11, there was the insane policy like British Airlines which would not allow even a reasonable roll-aboard - - with their FIVE kilo limit!<BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:50 AM
Marilyn

I agree the weight limit SUCKS. I can understand why they would not want heavy bags in the overhead, but if I'm willing to put it under the seat why do they care if it's heavy? (My camera, lenses, film, a couple of books for a long flight, toiletries, and a few personal items put me over the weight limit without trying.)

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:56 AM
Santa Chiara

My &quot;favorite&quot; flight was when I had carefully stowed my one carryon--my expensive laptop in its own case--overhead my own seat. I buckled in and waited for the take off. A couple of last-minute passengers boarded, weighed down with about five bags between them and proceeded to stuff their bags in every space they could find, including moving my laptop to a smaller space across the aisle so they could stuff their precious cargo. I was so horrified I was speechless. <BR><BR>They then proceeded to sit down and take out two giant Subway tuna sandwiches, with onions, and proceeded to eat. Do I need to mention how overweight they already were?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:09 AM
nocarryonhog

One does not have to exceed the allowed carryon limit to be a hog. The overhead bins in the cattle class do not have the capacity if everyone decided to carry their full allowance; outer garment, laptop, and a 22 inch luggage. I suspect that if one figures out the numerical per passenger carryon space, you probably arrive at the level of the BA restriction.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:25 AM
Selfish-maybe

I have never been a carry on hog: but I am going to be one now!<BR><BR>Too many people in the US have had belongings destroyed/stolen since the new federal regulations for screening have been instituted. One woman I know had her clothing destroyed by a bottle of lotion she had in her suitcase which was taken out of the plastic bag it was packed in. Search this forum!Carry on is the only way to go!

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:40 AM
While

I may appear to be a carry-on hog, but in reality am not. We are a family of 4, who fly space available. We each have a regulation carry-on &amp; a small backpack or camera bag. If there is now space available &amp; we would have checked our baggage, the plane load of people would have to wait while our checked luggage is taken off the plane. If the plane has seats available but no space for carryons, we leave them at the door to the plane &amp; they are thrown in the hold. If there is carryon space I take care of the luggage for myself &amp; the kids, so it may appear that I have more luggage than should be alloted, when I am actually taking care of luggage for 3 people.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:44 AM
Oh Canada

Someone spoke of Air Canada (which has an industry-wide reputation for losing luggage) Last spring I was on a flight that wasn’t crowded at all. This really obnoxious man (judging by his accent he WASN’T an American, German or such by the way he spoke) came trekking in with a huge over-the-shoulder bag, a laptop AND briefcase, and another bag that he had to scoot in front of him with his foot. He was huffing and puffing and swearing in both English and his native tongue. I was already seated and he began popping open the hatches looking for suitable space. I sat while he banged me in the side of the head repeatedly with the briefcase while trying to stuff the shoulder bag in. The bag came open and rained toiletries down on me. A rather heavy shaving bag hit me on the head so hard I thought it was going to knock me out! I yelped out an epitaph of my own and stood, announcing, “enough is enough”. A flight attendant came by and started to chew me out, at least until she saw the large, red, “goose egg” appearing on my forehead. I asked her how in the world this lout had been allowed on board with such a cargo? She turned on him and relieved him of his other bags and promptly left the cabin with them. It was more than an hour before we were cleared for takeoff, no doubt at least in part due to his baggage. So, who’s fault was it? The man was a swine, but ultimately it was the airline’s responsibility. He should never have been allowed on board loaded down as he was. I've always regretted taking the “high road,” when I should have raised bloody hell about being struck in the head. I spent the next 8 hours with a splitting headache all the while listing to this clown whine about how badly he’d been treated. He frequently would turn and stare at me with hatred glowing in his little, piggy, eyes. He was a lout, but it was still Air Canada’s fault.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:39 PM
Shanna

In most recent years, I've just said what the heck and checked my luggage except for toiletries etc in a shoulder bag. However, I must agree with one other poster, in light of the changes to baggage inspection, I'll not check anything again if I must leave it unlocked. Write your Congressman - this is pure lunacy and only makes flying more difficult in difficult times.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:40 PM
designergigi

A woman I know always brags about how she gets on a plane and grabs every pillow in site. She will take at least 6 and go after a couple of blankets. She said she needed them to cushion her back, her neck, her elbows...you get the picture. When I asked her how the other passengers were to get along if they needed a pillow or blanket, she replied &quot;That's their problem!&quot;. It is exactly this mentality that explains the hogginess of baggage space. <BR>I agree that everyone should have the same amount of space alloted to them. I like to take a book, neck pillow, and a few snacks along. If possible, I'd like to take along a carryon, too. But, if I couldn't, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -