Last minute cancellations on Delta.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently, my husband had a bad experience on Delta when his flight was canceled at the last minute for questionable reasons. First, I want to note this happened about one month before the airline went bankrupt. He paid top dollar for a same day flight for the last flight out of Atlanta for a business related emergency. This was operated by Delta's regional jet service. When he boarded the first plane, there was a mechanical problem. They reboarded them on a new plane and then at midnight informed all the passengers the pilot had "timed out" and did not have enough time to fly the aircraft. We live over an hour from the airport, so my husband stayed in the airport overnight as they would not give him hotel compensation. They gave him one meal voucher. If this was not bad enough, because his arrival was delayed he was faced with business dilemas AND he did not have enough time at his destination so had to change his return to come home two days later. One day later was a Sunday. They charged him $75.00 to change the return!! They said this was because he changed it more than 24 hours from original return date. Explaining that Sunday was not a business day did not matter. Any thoughts on this situation?

My husband has a feeling the flight was canceled last minute due to low numbers on the aircraft. We did write a letter to Delta stating we thought we deserved compensation because the last minute cancelation was not weather related, but a default on the part of Delta. They sent us a $100 voucher which looks almost impossible to use.

Here is a recent article regarding canceled flights due to low numbers on Delta:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101001567.html
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 09:59 AM

I feel sorry for people in cities where they HAVE to rely on Delta for service. Delta needs to flod all the way and let other carriers take over their gates and service.

Keith
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 01:39 PM

New verb alert. What means, "to flod" ?
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 01:54 PM

to <b>fold</b>?
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:34 AM

Ahhhh...thanks. My feeble brain just would not unshuffle that one!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 03:23 AM

Delta Airlines has cancelled many flights and DOES NOT notifty their customers.....
I just happen to be looking on their website a few weeks before my trip to check on my flight times and Delta cancelled my flight home and NEVER notified me! I cancelled my whole ticket and re-booked with US Airways.
I will NEVER book with Delta again.
Debbie
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Write to the airline (using snail mail) saying that since the airline delayed your husband's arrival at the destination the airline should have rescheduled his return at his request at no charge to make up for the lost hours at the destination. Ask for a refund of the $75. for that reason.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm