What one thing could airlines do....?

Aug 4th, 2005, 04:50 AM
HKP
Original Poster

What one thing could airlines do....?

What one thing (or two) could airlines do that would most make air travel the pleasurable adventure it used to be?

Leaving aside things over which they may have no control regarding post 9/11 security, I think I'd start with all those predawn departures for trips beginning on either coast, forcing us to begin our travels grossly short of sleep and brain-scrambled even before we board the plane.

Aug 4th, 2005, 05:03 AM
Cassandra

Amen!

My personal gripe (I know others could talk about seat space) is blocking the entire coach area forward of the wing for elite-status passengers, which pretty much all "legacy" airlines other than AA do. This "back of the bus" treatment makes coach even more a cattle-call than it already is -- effectively making each flight a 3- or even 4-class flight, with less space, less hope of making tight connections, more storage-space battles, and a charmless view of the back of the wing. As annoyed with AA as I often get, it's a primary reason I rarely fly the other airlines (which is, I suppose, a vicious circle, since I'm therefore never going to get elite status on the other airlines).

Aug 4th, 2005, 05:19 AM

Got an email from my TA yesterday...United now or soon requires you to pony up for the EP seating...who's next?? It's called Economy Plus Access, $299 per year...BUT, no guarantee that you will always get it.....
Aug 4th, 2005, 06:04 AM

I would give up all inflight service for inflight entertainment (selection of movies, television, news, documentaries, etc.) on every flight, even those that are short hauls. It just makes the time go by faster.
Aug 4th, 2005, 07:49 AM

LEG ROOM! (And I'm only 5'5").
Aug 4th, 2005, 10:45 AM

I'd give up all in flight service AND entertainment for more leg room and recline.
Aug 4th, 2005, 10:52 AM
KT

BeachBoi, I got that same United e-mail. As I understand it, EP is still available to elite FFs at no additional charge. The EP Access thing is for the non-elite FFs, who weren't otherwise eligible to reserve those seats.
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:02 AM

I agree with posts above, don't even care about in-flight free food if they'll make decent-food-for-purchase available (and why not even offer the buy/no buy and menu options at the time of ticket purchase, which would allow them pre-flight planning and us the knowledge that we don't have to stand in line at Starbucks and risk missing the flight).

But if they would JUST change their instruction to agents at the gate and on the phone to sound accommodating instead of hostile....!!...at least APPEAR to be trying to be helpful, instead of copping an attitude and shaking a finger at passengers, as if they were the problem, not the weather or the traffic or the equipment or the airline's capricious messing with the schedule. How much would it cost them to have agents say, "I'm sooo sorry you're having a problem, I'm trying my very best to help you, let's see what I can do," instead of "the rules are XYZ and there's nothing I can do, bub, you're stuck so be quiet and go away."
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:07 AM
KT

Correction to my last sentence: even non-elite FFs can currently get EP seats, but not at the cheap fare classes in which I fly! Full-fare economy only, I think.

As for the original question, I can't stand watching the inflight entertainment anyway (they edit the movies, the sound is awful, the screen is too small, etc.). So I'm with those who would gladly see it go in exchange for even another centimeter of legroom.

Also, to stir up a hornet's nest, a big cause of anxiety for me is always trying to find space for my well-below-the-limits carryon because others have been allowed to board with refrigerator-sized luggage, and multiple pieces at that. So I'd like to see better enforcement. (Yes, I know, those other people will say they're too busy to wait for checked luggage to appear, so I'll just have to suck it up...)
Aug 4th, 2005, 12:01 PM

As posted by soccr -

why not even offer the buy/no buy and menu options at the time of ticket purchase, which would allow them pre-flight planning and us the knowledge that we don't have to stand in line at Starbucks and risk missing the flight

Simple, imagine the different and obvious scenarios:

1. Passenger(s) decides to standby for earlier/later flight
2. Passenger(s) miss the connection
3. Passenger(s) does not show up, so the airline releases the seat to a standby passenger(s)
etc.etc.

Aug 4th, 2005, 12:21 PM

AAFF, of course those things happen, but perhaps not quite as often nowadays than in the "Golden Age" (hah!) of hotmeals on board. (If I thought there were a chance I might be a no-show or want to try for standby, I probably wouldn't pay the extra $5-10 for a meal.)

Also, I didn't specify that the meals had to be actually stored and heated on board for shorter flights -- the Bistro-bag model at the gate would work for modest boxed to-go meals, just as a lot of the airport concessionaires now provide boxed pizza, etc.

It would add a bit of predictability for both passengers and airline, and it seems to me that having unexpected passengers onboard b/c of standby would automatically come with the understanding that no food would be available (unless of course they wanted to claim a no-show meal).

Frankly, I think this is a bit of missed revenue opportunity here -- esp. with hubs and esp. with all those 6 am flights HKP was taking about, which leave before any concessions really get up and running. Airlines would inevitably outsource the food preparation and delivery -- main problem for the airlines would be collection of after-meal trash, which they already face with people bringing concession food on board.

In many ways, Delta's already doing this, just not on all flights. Just don't see why AA in particular -- with all those 3 hr. morning flights to DFW, connecting at midday for 3 hr. flights to the oppositie coast -- doesn't get that their passengers are forced to go 6-8 hrs. with nothing but pretzels and soda if their connection at DFW is less than an hour (which it usually is).
Aug 4th, 2005, 01:25 PM

I wish the airlines would enforce their own rules concerning carry on baggage. I am careful to limit myself to a laptop case or backpack. And I hate getting to my seat and finding that the passanger in the rear of the plane have taken all the forward overhead bins. lol bitch bitch bitch
Aug 4th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Be honest about delays. Don't say the plane is scheduled to depart at 9:30am if the incoming flight has just arrived at 9:10. They know there's no way the passengers can get off and they can turn the plane around in that little time.

And legroom, too.

With the food issue. I always thought it would be good if airlines charged for food. Then USAirways started to do that, but it's not done well, and you can't count on there definitely being something available to eat on tne plane. They only order so many meals, and once they run out, you're out of luck if you're in the back of the plane. We always try to bring food, but with tight connections, it's hard to pick something substantial up at the airport.
Aug 4th, 2005, 06:14 PM

Oh, one more thing. Don't call me one month before my flight and announce I have a minor schedule change and then tell me my 1.5 hour lay-over is now a 4 hr. 15 min. lay-over! And that my other flight, which was originally a non-stop, now has a 1.5 lay-over in Denver. These are NOT minor changes.
Aug 5th, 2005, 11:54 AM

More comfort and courtesy would be at the top of my list, along with more direct flights.
Aug 5th, 2005, 03:27 PM
ed

Increase seat pitch and adjust arm rests so that it is possible to get out of the seat without being a contortionist.

Enforce carry on rule. I have seen "carry on" bigger than our checked luggage.

Question. If the contents of your "carry on" are damaged because oversized "carry on" was forced into
the bin is the airline responsible?? :-B
Aug 6th, 2005, 12:11 AM

What one thing could airlines do....well IMO be honest! If the flight is going to be two hours late say so. If the flight is going to be at least two hours late and maybe longer say so. Than one could leave the gate and go get something to eat or drink or whatever.

I am sick and tired of flights being delayed and than being advised "do not leave the gate or the area as you do not want to miss your flight".

Hello! Thanks to the airlines you have already "missed your flight".
So at least, IMH, give us the information on how long it will take for "our flight" to board.

If the airlines would stop playing their games I think all flyers would be happier.
Aug 9th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Yes, honesty and attitude are number one, and cover many sins.

If my flight is cancelled, tell me now. Don't wait until the last minute, when any flights I may have taken instead are already gone.

If my flight is delayed, tell me for how long, so I can go get coffee or snack and relax.

If you are having problems, don't take it out on the passengers (unless the passenger is already being rude, then go to it --we'll applaud in the background). A helpful attitude will keep people MUCH calmer in problems than a 'that's not my department' attitude.

Other things I'd love to see is the carry-on rules being enforced, as well as body odor rules. OH MY GOD how some people SMELL!!!!
Aug 9th, 2005, 02:35 PM

I don't value inflight entertainment, in fact I always bring my own. Food in tourist is not that great, even if they have it, so let them eliminate that and I will bring my own.

I would value most highly more space. On the typical overnight flight to Europe, one person who has to use the lavatory ends up waking about five or more of his neighbors, and they could solve that by just adding some space between the rows.

I think its a little unreasonable to expect them to advise each of us of every prospective delay and exactly how long it will be. If there is a weather delay, who knows with any certainty how long it will be. If there are mechanical problems with a plane, they don't know with certainty how long the repair will take until it is finished. I think we are pretty well treated, given that we generally have no allegiance to any carrier and buy strictly based on price; the days when the carriers were well staffed and could hold our hands are gone. Gate agents who once were at the gate well before boarding time are now busy at another gate until just before boarding time, when they rush up and try to solve our problems. Someone posted that air transport has become very like mass transit, and I can't disagree with that, except when I get on a bus, I can at least ask the driver if its the right one.
Aug 9th, 2005, 05:46 PM

Legroom is number one for us. I know the marketplace says lowest fare rules. The middle ground is let those who require / desire more legroom to be able to pay modestly more dollars more for modestly more space. No fancy first class frills required (or can be afforded here.) Failing this idea I would like to see the ability to recline seats restricted, possibly in just a portion of the plane, like the old smoking / non-smoking sections.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO