It's official, OneWorld Alliance expends to 12 member airlines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On April 1, the OneWorld Alliance welcomed 5 more airlines while losing 1.

The 5 that joined are:

JAL - Japan Airlines (great for Asia destinations) - somewhat limited before
Malev Hungarian Airlines (great for central/eastern Europen destinations) - very limited before
Royal Jordanian (great for Middle East and African destinations) - somewhat limited before

and 2 LAN affiliates:

LAN Argentina
LAN Ecuador

AerLingus left the alliance but it's still a very active partner with AA.

All great additions. It will open many new destinations when traveling on OW revenue or award tickets.

Later this year, a Cathay Pacific affiliate, DragonAir will also be joining.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

One minor correction. OneWorld has more than just 12 members if you consider all the BA and JAL affiliates.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 06:11 PM
tmh

While this is nice, the One World partners have been dropping like mad. Star Alliance (the United one) and Skynet (Delta) are the most robust with the most destinations, and countries served. AS a frequent traveler, my miles don't work as well as they once did.

Turkish Air, Swiss and South African left the One World over the past year...
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:18 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>Star Alliance (the United one) and Skynet (Delta) are the most robust with the most destinations, and countries served...

Turkish Air, Swiss and South African left the One World over the past year...</i>

I believe &quot;Skynet&quot; was the evil future machine entity that The Terminator worked for (until he got reformed.) But perhaps &quot;Skyteam&quot; rings a bell.

Turkish and South African were never members of Oneworld. Swiss was invited to join but reneged, and was subsequently eaten by Lufthansa (Star's big gorilla member.)
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

as posted by <b>tmh</b>,

<i>Turkish Air, Swiss and South African left the One World over the past year...</i>

Just confirming what Gardyloo said. None of the 3 were EVER OneWorld partners.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 03:32 PM

SAA had/has some partnership with Cathay Pacific which delayed their entry into the (17 members and 3 regional members - none in S.America).

JAL is a great addition to OW. You could also use them to go from JFK to Sao Paulo GRU.

Royal Jordanian was one of the few partners of TWA's program. Along with Air India. IIRC, Turkish Airlines was also a partner.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 09:35 AM
tmh

LOL - Gardyloo you're right it is Skyworld thanks for the laugh.

And another LOL - in the DFW airport, they had the logos of those other carriers and for us less AA rapid fans I thought they were part of Onewhirl...
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Swiss and Turkish are AAdvantage partners, not OneWorld partners.

AFAIK, SAA, was never AAdvantage or OneWorld partner, but I could be wrong on this one.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 03:30 PM

Swiss is also with the Star Alliance. You can earn UA miles on Swiss. DH just did that on his ORD-ZRH-ORD trip.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 04:39 PM
tmh

I'm with simpsonc on the Swiss Air one - since they were puchased by Lufthansa, they are part of the Star Alliance. Didn't know you could earn miles when flying Swiss on United. Now if only BA and AA would do that...

Checking both the SA and OW website, Turkish Air does not appear on either one of them.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>I'm with simpsonc on the Swiss Air one - since they were puchased by Lufthansa, they are part of the Star Alliance. Didn't know you could earn miles when flying Swiss on United. Now if only BA and AA would do that...

Checking both the SA and OW website, Turkish Air does not appear on either one of them.</i>

Swissair went belly up a couple of years ago and was replaced by Swiss International. When Swiss International (LX in airline parlance) was bought by Lufthansa (LH) Swiss bailed on Oneworld and was &quot;invited&quot; to join Star.

Of course you can earn AA miles on BA and v.v. You just can't earn them on flights between London and the USA.

Talk is that Turkish is being hustled big time by Star, and that there's a bidding war underway for Iberia, which may end up being eaten by Lufthansa or some Star-oriented consortium. If IB leaves Oneworld, it will be a knife in the ribs on many routes.

South African danced with a lot of partners, including some Skyteam members (like Delta) but also with Qantas, who still codeshares some flights with SA between Oz and South Africa. It's not that unusual for airlines to have partners that are members of other alliances, but probably one will see less of it as time passes.