Is Aeroflot really that bad?

Jul 6th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Is Aeroflot really that bad?

I've read some comments on the airline quality site and lots of complaints. Of course, I do believe that most people only write something when they're pissed off. So I take all with a grain of salt. But these comments were really bad.

Anyone flown with them (from USA)?
Jul 7th, 2009, 10:41 AM

My relatives did. Their main complaint was that smoking is allowed. It was maybe 3-4 years ago.
Jul 7th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

I believe the flight between JFK and Moscow is non-smoking now.

Do you know if you can reserve seats?
Jul 7th, 2009, 02:12 PM

Aeroflot is a totally non-smoking airline. It may have allowed smoking on domestic routes up to few years ago, but no more.

Can't tell you about reserving seats. I flew in business class from London to Moscow few years ago and I did have a pre-reserved seat, but I'm not sure about coach. They do offer on line check in at 24 hours and you can pick a seat then but I'm not sure if that's available for US-RUS routes.

The airline is fine. Nothing to get excited about but they do run a safe operation, they get you to your destination and sometimes they will even do it with a smile on their faces. That's the one department that needs little bit more work, but it's not the Commie Aeroflot of the past.
Jul 7th, 2009, 02:47 PM

Oh, so they are non-smoking now? This is good!
Jun 9th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Booked our trip to Russia on Aeroflot for October. JFk-Moscow, then back via St. Petersburg to JFK. Can't believe I asked the above question 2 years ago!!

However, it doesn't seem that I can reserve seats. We're in Economy. Says "Check-in Required" so I'm guessing that means that we can't reserve until check-in, or 24 hours before we fly. Argh.

Anyone know about this?
Jun 10th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Just got an email reply from Aeroflot re reserving seats.

I was told:

"Aeroflot offers different fares , unfortunately the fare you have purchased is not applicable for advance seat assignment.
Please try to be at the airport a little earlier in order to get the most convenient seats."
Jun 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM

I flew Aeroflot in 2003 last time seattle to moscow to bishkek and back. You just have to remember that as much as they try to emulate western business models, the staff is primarily Russian so you just never know how they understand and implement the concept of customer service. I don't think I would generalize it to say that flight and ground check-in staff was bad. It was just different than what you might be used to from US or European airlines.
I vividly remember the seats being quite uncomfortable but it may have just been my plane, which was an older Boeing. Too much lumbar support, which seemed comfortable at first but got really tiring after a long flight. If you have to switch airports in moscow, be very careful, although you probably don't need to do that for a flight to st. pet.
Jun 10th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

The plane they are using is an Airbus 330 for JFK to Russia R/T now. Wonder how that will be.
Jun 10th, 2011, 04:42 PM

You are lucky to be going to Russia, enjoy! I hope you write a trip report.
Jun 11th, 2011, 09:14 AM

AA flies to Moscow from Chicago and Delta flies from JFK-both nonstop.
Jun 12th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

The cost on Delta from JFK was much more than on Aeroflot. That's why we chose it. Would have liked to take Delta - but we really saved a lot going with Aeroflot.

We're flying non-stop JFK to Moscow. Then home St. Petersburg - Moscow-JFK. There are no non-stops between St. Petersburg and JFK.

Search this Thread