International connection in Newark

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying in from Beijing (Continental BC) with a 65 min connection to Atlanta (Delta FC). If anyone is familiar with the Newark airport and clearing customs with a connecting flight an another airline, I would appreciate your feedback.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:09 AM

If the plane arrives on-time, you have little chance to getting on that DL flight, especially if you have luggage.

But if you don't have luggage, and/or you get a strong tailwind, then you chances improve.

You'll clear immigration and customs at Terminal C. Then you take the monorail to Terminal B, drop off bags to DL there, and then reclear security. You should be able to do online check-in for your DL flight while still in Beijing and get your boarding pass, but you may be too late to drop off bags to DL.

[I am not sure if you can drop off the bags to CO at Terminal C after getting out of customs. Call CO and DL to see if that's possible. That way, as long as you make it to the plane before the door closes, you'll be okay.]
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Newark airport has some kind of carts for free to move between the terminal, for people and luggage. Tips expected.

Also I remember notes posted along the line: if you have a 60-minute connection, tell an employee. And I saw people being taken to the front of the line to make their next plane.

If your plane is on time, I wouldn't worry. Just try to get off as soon as you can. While on the first flight, tell the steward(ess) you have a tight connection. S/he may help you to get off the plane ahead of everybody else in your class (first or couch).

RK, monorail in Newark? I don't remember that. Something new?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:16 PM

Carts are only <b>within</b> a terminal.

Monorail (i.e. Newark AirTrain) goes among terminals A, B, C and the Newark Airport NJTransit/AMTRAK station. That's the primary way to go between A/B/C and no charge.

It is absolutely <b>the way</b> to go from Terminal C where the OP gets through immigration and Terminal B where his DL flight departs.

[Now, there is an exception to the rule, but it happens. Sometimes, when C is really congested, some CO international flights will arrive at B. If this happens to the OP, then that'd be his lucky day.]
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the information. I'll call the airline tonight about our transferring our baggage. I've checked the flight statistics, and it's ontime 76%, with the last three days 1/2 - 1 hr early. Do either of you know if Thursday is a busy day there?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:26 PM

I have never got in EWR that late on an international flight, so I can't be sure. But most of CO's flights from Europe arrive before your PEK, so immigration shouldn't be that busy.

I have no idea about situation at Terminal B's security at that hour. But on a mid-week, non-holiday, late afternoon, I just don't see a lot of people there.

How did you book your tickets? One itinerary? Two itinerary? Through agent, DL or what?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Atl, don't trust the statistics. Once I flew an airline which had 40% on-time performance. We left 10 minutes early
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:35 PM

The PEK-EWR flight may be early, may be late. Too many factors, including:

- Whether the inbound EWR-PEK gets in to PEK ontime. It only has a 2-hour turnover. If the flight gets in an hour late to Beijing, it'll be late going out.

- Tailwind. Right now in the middle of winter, it's very strong. But who knows what's it like on the day you're flying. I believe the current 13:40 schedule is valid till like end of April. There can be an hour difference in actual flight time, depending on tailwind.

- Weather at EWR. One little spring-time thunderstorm, and you'll be circling Cleveland or Albany for 30 minutes before continuing to EWR.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Atl, make sure you're ready for a plan B, in case you'll have to stay overnight, have a list of phone numbers of hotels with free shuttles.

You know, the Murphy's law: when you have an umbrella, it never rains. When you have a list of hotels, you never need them
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Our flights were booked through Delta using FF miles (Continental's a partner airline) on one itinerary. The agents we've spoken to don't think we'll have a problem making the connection. Let's hope their right.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 04:59 PM

When are you flying? There's usually a CO flight slightly after the DL one for ATL. Current timetable is at 7:15p. See if DL can switch you to that one. Tell them you're extremely uncomfortable with the current connection to DL.

Those are the last flights of the day. You'll need to overnight if you miss those two.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 05:00 PM

You are flying on partner airlines and should not have to haul your bags to terminal B at EWR - when you check in at Beijing they can tag your bag for its final destination (check to be sure they do). After you clear customs in EWR you will drop the bag off right outside the customs exit, and there is a lane marked for flights in an hour or less - use it, and it won;t hurt to tell the agent that it is on Delta from terminal B.
As usual, rk is correct - you will take the AirTrain to Terminal B. It is easy to find and signs are pretty good. Security is no worse at B than anywhere else. It may be a tight connection but if you arrive on time you should be OK - just don't dawdle!