Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

How do you get from terminal 8 to terminal 2 at JFK airport?

Mar 6th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

I'm flying from Brazil and arriving at JFK T8 @ 6:10a.m.. Then I'll get a domestic flight from T2 @ 9:05a.m.. (flying on 2 different tickets)
Please, how should I go from T8 to T2?
Is 2:55 hours connection time enough to catch my next flight?

Thank you
Mar 7th, 2017, 03:58 AM
J62

You take the AirTrain between terminals. Just follow the signs for "AirTrain" and you'll get there. There are two trains. One is a continuous loop to all terminals, the other direction goes off site to trains, subways, rental cars & parking. Be sure to take the one that goes to all terminals. If you get on the wrong one, you can just get off at the next stop (Federal Circle = rental cars) and take the next train back to T2.

Whether 2:55 is enough time is anybody's guess. The important time to note is check-in / baggage drop cutoff for your 2nd flight. Depending on the airline it may be 45 or 60min before departure.
Mar 14th, 2017, 04:15 AM

Whether or not you can make this connection depends on many factors. In most cases, this is enough time, but if you aren't a US citizen, or if it takes too long to get your bags, you could be cutting it close even with almost 3 hours. I'd never have booked this ticket with less than 4 hours myself, but I'm overly cautious.

You have to be checked in and drop your luggage for most JFK flights at least 60 minutes before departure if you have to check luggage (yes, even for domestic flights), so that really gives you only 2 hours to get off, go through immigration and customs, and get to the next terminal. Definitely check in online for your domestic flight if you can to help move things along. Then at least you out have to drop your bags for the domestic flight.

You take the Airtrain between terminals, and that can be done in about 20 minutes in most cases. It moves pretty quickly.