Reload this Page >

Going through Customs at Chicago's O'hare Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Dick Yeager

We will be coming back from Germany and going through customs at O'hare. We have a chance to make a connecting flight in approximately one hour and 11 minutes (according to the "schedule".<BR><BR>Do you think this is enough time, or should we just take a later flight? We are first timers at this, so any help is appreciated.<BR><BR>Dick

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Travis

You probably will be okay, but I would take a later one as I did when I just got back from Germany. I did just because you never know what is going to happen with your first flight. I was glad we had thought of that because our first flight came in an hour and 20 mins late from Frankfurt, which we would have missed our orig. connection. Something to think about.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:46 AM
s.fowler

I would take a later flight. After customs [and immigration] you can hand your bag back to the airlines to be placed on your next flight -- so be sure your baggage has a tag to your final destination in the US. They do pull people out of line for fuller customs inspection involving xrays etc... so I'd allow a minimum of 2 hours -- also you have to take an elevated train from Terminal 5 to Terminals 1, 2 or 3.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:51 AM
David

The last time I flew into O'Hare from an international destination was about a year ago. All international flights went into terminal 5. I had to exit terminal 5 to get over to the other terminals to catch a connection. The issue I see now is that you exit security when you leave Terminal 5 and have to clear it again at any of the other terminals. <BR><BR>So if you have to leave terminal 5 for your connection, 1 hour and 11 minutes could be very close with having to clear customs, ride the train to another terminal and then clear security at another terminal.<BR><BR>Check with your airline and see if you'd be departing out of terminal 5.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Dick Yeager

Thanks for the information. I'll keep my reservations on the later flight. That way we won't be rushed, or worry on the flight back from Europe.<BR><BR>Previously, American Airlines had us scheduled on the earlier connecting flight. I didn't think it looked like enough time, especially at O'hare, so I changed to a later flight. Your feedback reinforces my earlier opinion.<BR><BR>Thanks again!<BR><BR>Dick<BR><BR>Dick