Info on Virgin Atlantic

Search

Info on Virgin Atlantic

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2003, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info on Virgin Atlantic

My husband and I will holiday in Malta. We will fly Virgin Atlantic from New York to London. We then catch Air Malta. How is Virgin Atlantic? I hear so much about it. We are flying economy class, but after looking at their website, I want to know how I can move into upper class. (without paying of course). How can I get this airline be nice to us? THis is my husband's first tip to Europe, I want to make this special for him
Old May 23rd, 2003, 11:21 AM

If I were you, I would get use to the idea of sitting in coach, since that's what you paid for. 99.99% of the time on any airline you will sit in the seat you paid for. I don't want to sound mean or anything, but that's pretty much the truth. If there was a magical way to move up front, why would people pay $5000 for a seat, if there was some kind of a trick to move up? Does it happen, YES, BUT rarely and there is no formula. This was discussed here many times, and some will try to tell you to dress up, to tell the GA that you're on your honeymoon, etc...etc...
Some airlines made an official rule for all the check-in agents and/or gate agents that if they move people up front for no reason they will loose their jobs. So don't expect it and you will not be disappointed, and if it happens, then enjoy it.
Virgin is a good airline, lately they are better than British in my opinion. Nothing spectacular, but they will feed you and serve you drinks. The seats are average coach seats.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 01:50 PM

Are you in economy or premium economy? If you're in regular economy, there's not much chance that you'll be moved into upper class without paying. If the flight is overbooked in economy, you may get moved up to premium economy. But even then, there's usually a pecking order starting with FF status, fare paid, etc.
Old May 26th, 2003, 01:40 PM

Consider paying a little more and flying Premium Economy instead of Economy. You'll be more comfortable, and will get some perks, but at about 1/3 the price of an Upper Class ticket. (And they sometimes have sales, and will honour the sale price if you originally book in Economy, and then they have a sale on Premium Economy.)
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:03 AM

Their coach service used to be better than average but it has slipped to where it's just another internatinal airline. They were the frst to have the individual screens; now BA has them also on the JFK-LHR route. Their food used to be above average; now it's average. As a sign of the times, on my last trip to LHR from JFK last January, they are not charging for wine like AA and UA. However, if you ask for wine with your meal, instead of getting an individal bottle of wine they pour a glss from a large bottle so you have no idea of what you're getting. Not complaining, mind you, but trying to show the lengths to which airlines are pinching pennies..

So, expect an okay flight but nothing memoable; especially in coach.
Old May 29th, 2003, 03:52 AM

Check out the cost to upgrade to Premium Economy. Virgin offer Lon-NYC in PE for around £550, and Economy prices are normally £250. It is worth the money on long haul.