Search

Infant seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infant seat

Hello everyone!
I have a question...my daughter and I will be travelling from Los Angeles to Amsterdam on KLM this summer. My daughter will be 11 months old at the time of departure. My question is a) does anyone have any experience related to this, and b) will I need to bring an FAA approved car seat for my baby for her to sit in during the flight. I did reserve a seat for her so she will not be sitting on my lap. The question is will she need to sit in a car seat on top of her seat?
Thank you so much! I will contact KLM as well, but wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this first.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 12:03 PM

http://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/prep...dren/index.htm

Also FYI - if the child's other parent is not going on the trip with you, you should be sure to have a signed, notarized statement from that parent giving you permission to take the baby out of the country.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your help!!! Yes, I suppose it would be a good idea to bring that statement...thanks again, I appreciate it!
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 12:17 PM

It's not just a good idea -you may not be able to get on the plane without it.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

okay thanks! will make sure to get that statement!
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 09:53 PM

You do not have to bring the car seat, but for your daughter's safety, why not? Airline seat belts are not much good at restrining little ones, plus if she is in a familiar seat, she is less likely to be more relaxed, and to know that she can't just climb around.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 01:21 PM

I've never seen car seats being used on a flight, only on Fodors have I heard about it.

I travelled a lot with my young son from Europe to Australia, US and Asia and relied on the child seat belt which attaches to your own.

You'll be traveling for at least 11 hours, will the child stay in the car seat for all that time, I assume not, so where do you put the car seat, can it fit or is it allowed to be put below the seat

If your on your own, can you manage a car seat, stroller and carryon?
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 06:05 PM

Geordie
US flights that I have been on do not give the attached seat belts-they told us that the safest place is in your armas!!! flights in australia give the child seat belts
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 06:42 PM

American bases carriers do not have that "child seat belt" option.

I see car seats on flights every week.....

The SAFEST places in their car seat in their own seat. Your lap with or without this "child belt" is not near as safe. Good for the OP for booking the seat
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 09:39 PM

Northie & CarolA - She's flying with KLM, they definitely have the child seat belts, used them many times

CarolA - whether its the safest or not, there is still the practicality of having a child strapped in from LA to Amsterdam for over 11 hours, which is a lot different than travelling domestically
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 10:12 AM

Well I guess since it is inconvient we should just let the child be endangered???? This is the same logic the airlines and regulatory boards use. Sadly some day a parent will pay a heavy price for hang an airborne projectile that is their child

When you are in your seat your seatbelt should be fastened. It prevents you from bouncing off the overhead in turbulence. If a grown adult can be thrown that far just think what an 11 month old can do
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 04:07 PM

CarolA, I did not suggest not using a seat belt, so I don't understand your comments regarding inconvenience or airborne projectiles

The OP wanted advice on car seats on a long flight, I've given mine including the practicality of using one on an 11 hour flight in economy, perhaps you could give your experience of strapping an 11 month child into a car seat for 11 hours.

When she's in Amsterdam, perhaps you could also offer advice on the appropriate safety measures for sudden and unexpected braking by buses, trains, trams, taxis, etc
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 03:07 AM
J62

Nobody is suggesting that the child must be strapped in for the entire 11hr flight...
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 06:35 AM

I strapped a 14 month old on a flight from CHINA. Total flight time 18 plus hours. Child wwas in her car seat.

So... my experience is that it's not really any different. We gave her toys to play with, we got her up and let her stroll the aisle every now and then but she adapted very quickly to "while in the seat you are in the seat"

(And this was after the adoption agency nearly had a STROKE when we INSISTED we buy a seat to get the child home. They said "you can hold her in your lap" REALLY? Would you hold her in your lap during a car ride going 55 MPH? So why is it OK in a plane going dramatically faster?)
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 07:19 PM

We always bring car seats for iur children. I believe that in addition to the safety factor, they are probably more comfortable for our daughters on long flights. The regular coach seats are ont that comfortable for adults, and they are designed for (smallish) adults.

It is a challenge to board a plane with 2 car seats, a stroller, a carry-on full of toys and snacks and two children, but we manage.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

The problem is if I wanted to put her in a car seat on top of her seat I would have to find a car seat that would fit!! Apparantly the seats on KLM planes are pretty narrow,almost all car seats out there are wider than the seats on the plane so they wouldn't fit...grrr!
Btw...thank you so much for all your help,everyone! Really appreciate everyone's help!