seat belt extensions?

Search

seat belt extensions?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seat belt extensions?

We just completed a trip from Honduras to Dallas with my baby. Her car seat could only be attached facing backwards using the seat belt (Continental). This was fine as she is very tiny but made it impossible for the seat in front of her to be reclined more than a couple inches.

In May we are going to Amsterdam and I certanly don't want to make the person sitting in front of the baby not be able to recline his seat on such a long flight. If the airlines still have seat belt extenders, we can place the seat facing forward...any one know?? Thanks. Ana
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Every airline has seatbelt extensions as they are considered part of the emergency equipment checklist by flight attendants-presence and number that you are supposed to have.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 09:16 PM

Good for you, using the carseat on the plane. Not only is it much more comfortable for everyone, it is much safer too.

You should not need an extender to install a convertable seat rear-facing or forward-facing. Be sure you are following the instructions.

Unless your baby is over 1 year of age AND at least 20 pounds, you should be using the seat in the rear-facing position in airplanes and cars. Bring along your instruction book in case anyone asks you...instructions are clear though, rear-facing anytime the child is under 20 pounds.

You can, however, install it slightly more upright than usual if your baby is old enough and strong enough to keep their own head from flopping forward...usually at about 4 months or so.

Rear-facing is the safest way for children to ride in any vehicle. It is best practice to keep them rear facing until the weight limit of the seat has been reached (nowadays, most seats are able to be used rear-facing until the child weighs 30 pounds, check your instructions).

A great resource is www.carseat.org.

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. My baby is two years old. However, she has FAS and is severely brain damaged. She is only 16 pounds and as small as most 10 months old. She is able to walk and can control her head and body like a "normal" two year old however. I feel safer with her seat facing backwards as it also limits the external stimuli bombarding her. She can only see the back of the seat and the faces of my son and me and this keeps her calmer. We have a SitNStroll for her and love it, though it is bulky. I think I will just ask the airlines to try to avoid putting anyone in the seat in front of her. The flight from Houston to Honduras was stressful as the man in the seat in front of Maria actually stood up and tried to force his seat back, all the while glaring at us. The flight attendent had to come over and "nicely" explain to him that there was a car seat preventing his seat from reclining and his banging on the seat was futile. He was extremely irate about it and I sure don't want the same experience on a longer flight. We will just hope the flight is not full and anyone in front of the baby can move elsewhere. I have to take her with us as she cannot be left with friends. She is extremely dependent on me and will only eat or relax if I am with her. Hopefully she will sleep most of the flight. I do have medication to help her relax and flying at night should help as well.

Thanks for the information. Ana
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:46 AM

You might consider asking to be seated immediately behind one of the nonreclining emergency exit seats if the aircraft has those.
M
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:50 AM

I suggest that you call the airline and explain and tell them that you need bulkhead seats, where there will be nobody in front of you reclining.

Seat belt extenders are available for purchase.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:47 PM

Why would you BUY seat belt extensions when they are on every flight as emergency equipment? And as others have said-most car seats only need the regular seatbelt that is already in the seat.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:57 AM

Seat belt extentions are oon all flights for use when a large passenger flies. Also the attendents uses the extendors when they demonstrate how to use a seat belt.

Keith
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:03 PM

How many are available? Are you going to guarantee that there is going to be one available. If you take one then you are certain to have one. Maybe most carseats can be used without the extension, that's nice, but apparently the one that the OP needs the extension. Buying one is an option.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:58 PM

No Keith we do not use the extenders for demonstration-they are our own demo ones. As for the extensions-there is enough for everyone on the flight!
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 04:27 AM

dutyfree, At least one airline does (or did). I saw the attendent give a passenger the one that she had just used.

Keith
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies. I am going to the Continental office today to ask that we be given bulkhead seats or some other option such as behind the exit rows. On the internet site, it appears the bulkhead seats are taken but we will see what Continental says when I explain the situation. The baby is so small that putting the seat backwards is best. I just don't want to have any issues with the person sitting in front of her. Thanks for the help. Ana
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:25 AM

Which CO flight will you be on?
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:24 PM

If there is an extender for everyone on the flight then it certainly is not necessary to buy one. I don't understand why the FA on the flight from Honduras didn't offer one.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:21 PM

I've had good luck getting bulkhead/front row of economy seats on Continental flights from Japan to the US. I was unable to select the seats online myself as they are blocked, but by phone the agent assigned them to me no problem.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

We will be flying from San Pedro Sula to Houston and then taking CO 46 to Amsterdam on the 8th of May, returning from Paris on the 22nd...just talked to the Continental people yesterday and they told me they cannot assign the seats until 24 hours before the flight. Gave me the seat numbers to ask for and were very nice. They said that since I have a disabled child, to just come to the airport early and they will work with us to get us seats meeting our needs. Very nice and helpful people, which is usually my experience with Continental. So I think we will be just fine. Now if I can just get the baby to stop screaming....ha, hope none of you are on that flight! Ana
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:35 AM

CO 46 IAH-AMS is on a 767-400. The rows you're looking for are 16 and 31. They are indeed blocked right now, but it's unclear if any of them have been taken up by top-level elites.

But CO's 767-400 have okay legroom even in the other seats, with 32" pitch, one better than most of CO's planes. So, even if you don't get those rows, you may still be okay.

On your way back, you'll be flying the 777-200. Rows 16 and 32 are nice, but 16DEF is often used for crew rest, and the other seats in those rows usually snatched up by top-level elites.

I'd suggest you call back a few days before travel - don't wait until 24 hours. They may be able to help you then. If not, do online check-in at exactly 24 hours before YOUR FIRST FLIGHT, and try to get those better seats.