How is Delta?

Jan 4th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

How is Delta?

We are thinking of taking Delta to go from Philadelphia to Savannah, GA in March. I've never flown on Delta, so how are they? There will be a connection involved in Atlanta, and I've heard many horror stories about missing connections and airlines not being sympathetic at all- even when it was their fault. How is it to connect through Atlanta? Do Delta flights generally leave on time? I've flown on US Airways (won't be doing that ever again) and I've frequently had delays for dumb reasons. I would definitely have missed a connection if I had had one.
Jan 4th, 2005, 05:15 PM

Delta is no better or worse than any other US airline. Sometimes things go well; sometimes they don't.

Relatives in Savannah say that you can't go to Hell without going through Atlanta.
Jan 6th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Coach seats are awful and I would never go through Atlanta.
M
Jan 6th, 2005, 04:12 PM

Atlanta should be fine, especially since there are several flights/day from Atlanta-Savannah. That is always good, since if something happens and you miss the connection, if there is another one later in the day, they make every effort to get you on that one.

To mikemo - what would you suggest OP do instead of Atlanta? That is only practical way to fly Philadelphia to Savannah - USAirways has one flight/day connecting in Charlotte - and Northwest has a real special connection - you get to go to Detroit first and then on to Savannah!
Jan 6th, 2005, 05:30 PM

I would drive.
M
Jan 6th, 2005, 09:09 PM

Delta is fine. I'm not sure what you mean by 'not being sympathetic' but if you miss your connection, they'll accomodate you on a later flight. If you're concerned about delays (which can happen on any airline, there are no guarantees), don't book the last flight into SAV that day. If you end up having to overnight at your connecting airport, the airline will generally only pay for your accomodation if the delay was caused by mechanical reasons and not weather or anything outside of their control.

I've never understood all of the complaints about ATL. I've connected through ATL many, many times (usually to or from an international flight) and find it one of the easiest airports to navigate with an efficient underground train system.
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:56 AM

For what it's worth, I don't mind Atlanta nearly as much as DFW. Just build in enough connection time to allow for being held on the tarmac while they look for a gate!

I've also had reasonably good experience with the Delta people on the phone, not so good with Delta people at the gate, with a couple of nice exceptions.
Jan 7th, 2005, 11:13 AM
KT

I'm another person who doesn't understand all the complaints about ATL. I've transferred there about 20 times and never had a problem (domestic to domestic, though) and never found it hard to deal with.

Jan 7th, 2005, 04:54 PM

We used delta to Europe by way of ATL
and I would say it pretty good GOING to!
On the way back from Munich thats another story but I an not sure its all they fault? After you land in The USA you need to go to Imergration then to
customs and then pick up your bags and go to another baggage check which is fine except our bags were not on the turn stile ans our plane was leaving in 1 hour after we went thur the first 2 areas it was crazy and to make it worse delta employees were acting like we were lying about our luggage even with our claim tickets? The atlanta Police was there and we had to show our passports 4 times to 4 different agents
including the Police! to make a long story short we made our flight by 5 minutes but what a nightmare next time we go I will try to avoid ALT