Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

How can Be succesful using United Airlines miles

Old Oct 16th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am used to use miles in American going to Argentina, and so far being flexible I have been able to used my miles serveral times to fly between Miami and Buenos Aires.
At this time I have a lot of miles in United Airlines and was hoping , being flexible, to be able to fly in Avianca, an airliner of the same group, Miami to Buenos Aires, they say the required miles are 60.000 in low but it seems there is no way this offer can become reality.
Has anyone used miles in United Airlines to their satisfaction? I am finding a big difference with American in this regard. To beging with their web is much easier to navigate, American show monthly callendars where all options are easy to find.
Any advice?
Should I give up hoping to fly to Buenos Aires, and instead use those miles within the US.?
Thank you.
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 06:36 PM

I often find I need to call United to get the flights I want. And many partner flights don't show on the United website. Call them and see if you can get flights that will work for you with your miles.
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 08:10 PM

No idea if it helps with Avianca, but some like to use ANA's site for searching for Star Alliance award flights. Try it and see if you can find them. Then call UA to book.
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 10:13 PM

You can use that united Airlines miles for shopping, booking hotels and many more. And you can donate miles to your family or friends, so that they can use effectively.
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all,.
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 02:06 PM

I haven't had any problem using United miles in the US, that's where I have used them. But I like to go skiing out west once a year, and they have a hub in Denver so that works out well for me. I didn't have enough to do Europe RT.