Continental & United Merger: FF acct ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting notices from AMEX to transefer any AMEX points into Continental OnePass FF (to buy tickets, upgrdes etc) acct before end of Sept 2011 due to merger with United. Went to Continnental to do so today & this message below appeared.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice transfer or don't?

Question: it would appear that if I transfer Amex miles into Continental, they will become United miles? so since I have plenty of United FF miles, it does not appear to be much benefit as United does not offer "same status level complimentary First Class upgrades"..I would have to Buy with FF miles or cash outright. United is one of the airlines that does NOT allow AMEX point transfers...so maybe this is the only benefit.

Noted too that AMEX only allows AMEX points transfer to Aeroplan, Delta nad CathyPacific after Continental is no more...also Inside Flyer posted a note about Continental miles never expired but once transfered to United, will expire 18 months without activity...

(Delta where I received many complimentary upgrades on due to status is no longer flying into Cody where my elderly Dad lives and I have to fly in at least 3 times a year and for emergencies Iike to use FF for First Class upgrades)

"MileagePlus is the loyalty program for the new United
MileagePlus will be the loyalty program for the new United in 2012. The OnePass program will formally end on December 31, 2011, followed by a wind-down period during the first quarter of 2012. You will be automatically enrolled in the MileagePlus program. Learn more."
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

FYI--I did find this on another AMEX site ..so there are more airlines..wanted to be fair to AMEX.
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 02:23 PM

I understand the ins and outs of the program and the merger bu I have NO idea what your question is. United DOES have complementary upgrades (domestic) for those flyers with status, which came FROM the CO program so I'm not sure what your problem is.
Old Aug 29th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Txs anuway mzterry. I s/w United today and they confirmed. Transfer miles won't continute to status upgrades
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 07:56 AM

It looks like the basic choice is this:

1. Transfer AMEX miles to Continental now, which will then become United miles and subject to United mileage plus rules.

2. Leave the miles with AMEX, which can later be used to purchase tickets on non-United flights.

If you will use the AMEX miles for flights on other airlines, then consider leaving them where they are so you have more flexibility in travel. If not, then transfer them to Continental/United to combine them with your existing Continental/United miles.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 10:17 AM

Like it or not (I don't, nor do most of my friends who fly CO) United will be making most of the rules once the merger is complete.

I think November moon has stated your options pretty well.

The good news is that this year your EQMs from both UA and CO will combine for your 2012 status on the new United. I'm not familiar with AMex points though. Do they count as EQMs?
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 12:38 PM

I don't think that the AMEX points count at EQMs anymore than the miles earned with Chase United Visa count as EQMs. It would be sweet if they did though - I'd be Premier Exec every year
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi november-moon and Icuy..nice to see/hear from you both.

Yes that is what United said: any miles tx from CO or AMEX to United will NOT count toward EQM: and yes the United FF rules apply: so don't transfer CO miles until Dec 2011 as under United they WILL expire in 18 months of no activity.

ARRRGH