Help choosing seats on British Airways

Dec 29th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Help choosing seats on British Airways

We have Club World frequent flier tickets on British Airways for next summer, London to Nairobi and back. BA website says "new" Club World has already been rolled out for some Africa destinations but not Nairobi yet. Whether "old" or "new" do you think a married couple traveling together would be more comfortable in the middle two of the four center seats (both face backward) or in the two seats on the side (one faces forward, one backward). Seat guru recommends the middle two seats for a couple but I was thinking we would prefer to have the aisle and the one next to it so as to avoid tripping over others. Any thoughts? My only comparison is business class on American or United to Europe or South America (both the old and the new versions).
Dec 29th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Can you both get aisle seats? Across the aisle from each other? That's my favorite configuration.

I couldn't fly backwards
Dec 30th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Flying backwards doesn't bother me. I do it on Southwest when I travel with friends or family in a group and get that front set.

Two aisles. That's a creative thought. How close is the "stranger" next to you then, in particular the one next to the window the window? Do they have to climb over you? The flight LHR/Nairobi is daytime so no big deal but the flight back is overnight and prefer not to be disturbed. (I usually take the window seat and can easily slip by my husband on the aisle without disturbing him.)
Dec 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM

I depends entirely on the planes configuration and on the aisle. With a window seat you may have only your husband to worry about stepping over, or you may well have the person behind you obstructing your outlet.

I've flown BA Club World a number of times and trying to get the best/perfect seat assignment is a bit of a crap shoot. I use to be a window person but on long haul and overnight flights I now go with an aisle seat. That said, the center two seats can work out well too. It all depends on the aisle.
Dec 30th, 2008, 03:38 PM

I feel hemmed in when sitting in one of the two centre seats. Flying backwards doesn't bother me at all.

If the plane has an upper deck, try to get upper deck seats if you can. The cabin is smaller and quieter.

My husband and I like the seats facing each other. You're certainly close enough to talk. You just can't snuggle.

The one other piece of advice is to try to avoid seats that are immediately in front of or behind the toilets.
Dec 31st, 2008, 12:11 PM

I think it is six one-way/half-dozen the other.

Probably the best middle seats are the last row, since you don't climb over anyone to get out. When facing each other, most seats are fine, sort of like sitting across the table.
Dec 31st, 2008, 07:47 PM

Probably the best middle seats are the last row, since you don't climb over anyone to get out.

My wife and I have shared the two aft-facing seats (on 744s) at the bulkhead and enjoyed them very much. You'll likely be on a 777 so I presume they're similar but can't be sure.
Jan 11th, 2009, 06:25 AM

Laurie Ann:

We flew Club World Tampa to London this past Summer. We choose the 2 seats together - window and aisle.
The 2 seats facing backwards in the center have both of you crawling around someone to get out.

That being said, I still found the window seat a bit claustrophic (and I am a petite person) as you sit in this cocoon type seat.
Unless BA has changed their policy you still can't get seat assignment until 24 hours out unless you have preferred status. We got our seats (2 aisles) and had to negotiate with fellow passengers to sit together.
Linda