Help between terminals at LAX

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2019, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I wanted to meet a friend also arriving at LAX to share an Uber, how easy is it to get from terminal to terminal? I would be going from Terminal 2 or 3 (Delta) to Terminal 7 (United). Any other ideas where we could both meet?
Old May 1st, 2019, 04:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
LAX is a total zoo -- pick one of the nearby hotels that does a shuttle and meet there.

Hyatt Regency, Marriott, Sheraton, etc etc etc . . . all the usual suspects are there
Old May 2nd, 2019, 02:17 AM

LAX is total mayhem, just decide on a place that both of you could meet up like a hotel or a restaurant. Good luck
Old May 2nd, 2019, 02:36 AM
J62

LAX is like totally crazy - pick somewhere nearby that you both can get to.
Maybe a restaurant or a hotel, etc, etc, etc...
Old May 2nd, 2019, 05:07 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't know that I'd bother with going all the way to a hotel to meet up. I'd simply have the passenger that arrives first take the free inter-terminal bus around to the terminal where the later passenger is arriving, and wait in the bag claim area. There's a free shuttle bus (Route "A") that runs around the "loop" every ten minutes, and while it's not especially fast, it is quite easy. It's also possible to walk directly between the north side of the airport (T1 - T3) to the south side (T4-T8) through various parking garages, but I'd probably just use the shuttle.

Old May 2nd, 2019, 05:53 AM

The traffic at LAX is sometimes unspeakably awful. The last time I landed there (at 9 pm on a Monday night in March), it took me 30 minutes just to get out of the airport from Terminal 3 because of traffic. What I'm saying is that you are moving from one end of the airport to another, and that can take a very long time. The obvious meeting spot is Terminal 4, which is a longish walk from Terminals 2 and 7, from where you could share an Uber, but the trip will take each of you about 15 minutes unless you are a fast walker. But if you don't mind waiting, I'd make that decision upon landing once you see the traffic situation. Sometimes it's not too bad, but the construction has really done a number on the airport this year.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 09:34 PM

I would also agree to meet at one of the airport hotels and take that hotel's shuttle from the airport. There is major construction on Terminal 3 and they have also shut down several lanes in the arrival area outside the terminal and it is terrible. Both Terminal 2 and 3 and even Bradley (International Terminal) are affected by this. We fly in and out of LAX quite often and always have a car picking us up and on recent trips it has been so difficult for them to get near Terminal 2 & 3. There is a Marriott, Hyatt and Hilton all on Century Blvd. right outside the entrance to LAX and I would definitely take a shuttle to one of them or another airport hotel.
Old May 9th, 2019, 06:34 AM

Uber/Lyft are not supposed to be using the arrivals level. You need to go upstairs (departures level) for them. There are designated signs with letters. I'd probably just pick a letter, maybe E which is near T5 or T6. That wouldn't be a bad walk for either one of you.

BTW Lyft is a little better than Uber at LAX. Note that none of the rideshare services are supposed to wait inside LAX, they're all held at least a 15-20 minute waiting lot distance away..including the Supershuttle Vans. I think only the taxis are allowed to stage at LAX on the arrivals level. Depending on how valuable your time is, vs how much more a taxi ride will cost, you may want to consider other options.

All are affected by the traffic around the loop..so it's going to be a chance that you're waiting up to half an hour for any hotel van..they may not run as often as you'd like, perhaps only on demand..

And no, I wouldn't use the LAX inter-terminal shuttle, assuming you'll be capable of walking 10-15 minutes with luggage to meet up. That would likely be the biggest headache of your trip.

Last edited by mlgb; May 9th, 2019 at 06:47 AM.