Search

HELP @ LAX please!

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2019, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP @ LAX please!

We’re flying from IAH (Houston) to LAX with a 6:15 pm arrival. We depart on a Korean Airlines flight at 10:40 pm. We will have to collect our luggage at LAX then re-check for our KAL flights - now my question, how do we get from United baggage claim to KAL departures? I’ve looked at the LAX website and I’m even more confused. Can anyone help with the logistics of this. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old May 5th, 2019, 07:04 PM

Most United flights arrive in Terminal 8 but a few arrive in Terminal 7. Your Korean air flight will depart from the Tom Bradley International Terminal (aka Terminal B). Terminals 7 & 8 are a fair distance from Terminal B (a bit too far to walk) so you should take the free shuttle bus service.

This is from the LAX website: Frequent, free shuttle bus service is provided between terminals (approximately every 12 to 15 minutes) to assist travelers in getting from one terminal to another. To use this service, board the Airline Connections "A" Shuttle under the LAX Shuttle & Airline Connections blue sign on the Lower/Arrival Level islands in front of each terminal.

If you decide to walk from one terminal to another, please look at the terminal map first at LAX Terminal Maps to get an idea of how far you need to go
Old May 6th, 2019, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you RoamsAround, this gives me a good starting place. The more I looked at info online the more confused I became
Old May 6th, 2019, 05:27 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It might well be quicker to walk than to take the shuttle bus; there's evidently a lot of construction at Terminal 3 on the arrivals level (where the shuttles run) and since the buses run counter-clockwise, getting from T7/8 to the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) could take quite a while. Walking isn't difficult; while there's an "inside passage" under cover, if you've got to schlep your bags from United to TBIT, you'll already be by the street exit, so just turn left out the door and walk - probably under 10 minutes - to TBIT. You won't have to cross any streets, and if you need a bag trolley, they're available at bag claim (for a fee.)

Old May 6th, 2019, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Gardyloo, thanks, another great idea, possibly it will be better to walk. This is going to be on Thanksgiving Day evening so we’re hoping lots will already be at their destinations, enjoying family time. I may be delusional also!
Old May 6th, 2019, 09:12 AM
P_M

Why must you recheck you bags? Even if the tickets were purchased separately you might be able to check all the way through, as most airlines have an agreement to do this for each other. Please call United today and ask this question.
Old May 6th, 2019, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

P-M, wish this were the case, however United is partner of Star Alliance and Korean Air is Sky Team or affiliated with KLM/Air France which we are Platinum. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old May 6th, 2019, 01:04 PM
P_M

Wunderbar2, curiosity got the best of me so I called United. Please know this was done with the best of intentions. I presented your scenario and they said you CAN check you bags all the way through on KAL even if tickets were purchased separately. They do not have to be in the same alliance to check bags to your final destination, just show your onward ticket in Houston and they will check your bags all the way. Once again, this information came from United today. Just trying to help you to avoid unnecessary trouble.

A few years ago I flew CO to Houston then BA to London. I thought I had to collect my luggage and recheck because they are not in the same alliance. A Fodorite told me otherwise and I confirmed with the airline, and it was true. It was a big time saver. I'm trying to pay that forward and do the same for you.

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited by P_M; May 6th, 2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old May 6th, 2019, 01:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
P_M: I'd never ever rely on a phone bank customer service rep on this sort of issue. What they say on the phone will have next to no relevance when one is standing at the check in desk. They certainly might interline - but in general airlines are less and less apt to do so.
Old May 6th, 2019, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

P_M, many, many thanks and I will certainly investigate it further. That would take a lot of stress off this trip and as you said, a real time saver. I truly appreciate your checking!

janisj, please see above and thanks for your input also.

Love this forum, it offers so much help! Thanks to all!

Old May 6th, 2019, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

P_M just wanted to say thanks again, I really do appreciate your taking the time and initiative to check this out for me. As we have months to go, i will check it out with United before we depart and if it works, wonderful, if not, that’s OK too. But...it would make life so much easier.
Old May 6th, 2019, 04:03 PM
P_M

You are most welcome wunderbar2.

I realize the answer to checking through could be yes today then no on wunderbar2's travel date but there's no harm in asking. The worst that will happen is they will say no, then wunderbar2 will go back to the original plan of picking up and rechecking luggage.
Old May 6th, 2019, 05:31 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
It's best to plan now but you could ask when you check in for the 1st flight no?

I had trouble with a long layover and everything I was told in preparing for it didn't happen. It turned out ok but frustrating when what I thought would happen didn't. So having more than one plan would work best for you and asking at check in wouldn't hurt either.
Old May 7th, 2019, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Exactly what I plan to do sassy27. Thanks
Old May 7th, 2019, 03:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
LAX shuttle buses are the way to go from one terminal to another. We were there a few days ago.
Be glad you aren’t flying Delta as it’s terminal is a mess, under construction. On the other hand, Tom Bradley International is a very nice terminal.
Old May 8th, 2019, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks HappyTrvlr
Old May 8th, 2019, 08:19 PM

If your bags are checked through then you could use the airside walkways from terminals 6 all the way to the TBIT. You would arrive at T6, 7, or 8. It is not clear from the map if you are still behind TSA when you get to the TBIT (aka terminal T).

If interested, use the link below, click on Walk, read, click on the map to download the pdf.

https://www.flylax.com/en/inter-terminal-connections

I think this is what Gardyloo meant by the "inside passage". If you do have to go to United claim, then you would just go outside, turn left and walk.
Old May 9th, 2019, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for more great information mrwunrfl
Old May 9th, 2019, 05:20 AM

I would personally just walk it, with or without luggage. Get a luggage trolley if necessary. I was just there two nights ago and it is as chaotic as ever. Hundreds of shuttles coming and going. It's an easy walk, probably less than 10 minutes. If you can walk it underground, even better.
Old May 9th, 2019, 05:37 AM

LAX is my home airport so I never have transferred there, although I've used the interior corridors to get around.
It's a bit easier to walk outside IMO, the inside passageways are confusing. However by staying inside you avoid an extra dose of TSA... so use the inside (airside) passageways if your luggage is checked through or if they can recheck them inside the terminal at a transfer desk when you land.

If you need to check in your own luggage with Korean at TBIT, however, that is a public space so you can take the outside pathway (shorter although possibly more crowded). Then you will go up a level to clear TSA and enter the "Great Hall" which is a comfortable area to hang out (if you don't have lounge access). I like to watch the clock tower with changing graphics for a while then I'll go find a spot near the restaurants where the wifi works well.

Here's the official map of where the connector comes in from the tunnels to TBIT (past TSA and ticketing desks) as well as the key to restaurants, etc.( I like ink.sack)

https://www.flylax.com/-/media/flyla...629AA2BB11E964

Yes the Delta side is a bit of a mess right now, there is construction between the two terminals. Yesterday I arrive at T3 and got to take the trip down memory lane via one of the famous mosaic tile corridors.
http://blogs.dailybreeze.com/history...ravelers-home/

Last edited by mlgb; May 9th, 2019 at 06:06 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -