Search

Heading Home - AA Excess Baggage Fees

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heading Home - AA Excess Baggage Fees

Good morning!

I'm finally heading home in two days, and just have a quick question about AA's excess baggage fees.

Now....not that I should explain why - but I moved down to GCM for work, expected to stay for upwards of two years - but due to extenuating circumstances - I am heading home.

My DH came down to visit in April, and took a suitcase of stuff back with him, but I still have three suitcases I need to haul back to Vancouver.

Question - I have researched through the AA website and it says that excess baggage is $100 US. Now...I can't tell if this is a new fee since the "2nd bag charge" came in to effect, or if the $100US has always been in place.

See, I will not be charged for my 1st, or 2nd bag, since I bought my ticket home before all that came in to effect.....so maybe the $100US is a bump up from an old rate that I might be able to have?

I know I will have to eat the cost I am sure...and it's not a huge deal b/c after all, I am carting three big suitcases with me, but just curious....so that if the rate was lower before all these new charges came in, then I can ask for that fee....

I can only imagine the stares I am going to get from all the "carry on" travellers.....har har....

Thanks bunches!
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:53 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
AFAIK still a hundred bucks for the third piece, but the AA website says to contact reservations for international itineraries with excess baggage. The AA GCM number is 345-949-0666.
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:30 AM
HKP

Can you use a shipping company (DHL, FedEx) or mail some of it?
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.

I called AA in GCM and they do charge $100US for the extra bag - darn!

Now...to just avoid over weight charges! har har...

It's amazing how much you accumulate in 3 1/2 months..but I think I've managed to distribute everything between the three cases.

Phew!
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:41 AM

If you are there for work - would your company pay for the excess fees?
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

I really wish they would -

However, this isn't the "formal" end of my work contract (in which case I think they would have helped).

I am going home early because I'm 16 weeks pregnant (been on Cayman for oh...14 weeks???) and I am considered high risk and want to get home to Canada to be near my doctor. Maternity insurance is not an option here if you haven't been here for over a year...so everything is out of pocket.

*Sigh*

It was fun while it lasted! Last day at work today (well, morning anyways). I wanted to do one last suntan session before I leave but would you believe it's cloudy today!?!