Search

American's curbside fee, redux - BOS headaches

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American's curbside fee, redux - BOS headaches

One more time:

American Airline's fee for curbside check-in is ridiculous, counter-productive (interesting pun), and infuriating.

Scene: Boston's Logan airport during the hottest several days of the year. Out front: about 3 people using curbside. In the ticketing/check-in area: shoulder-to-shoulder congestion, the line tripling back on itself and extending down the hall, with greeting personnel trying to triage who can check-in at self-service, who must go to American Eagle (that's another problem), who has to go to international, etc. etc. The Self-Service people could easily have done curbside as could many of those timid about kiosk check-in but already ticketed, but the $2. fee is obviously a deterrent.

They can't possibly be making enough on the curbside fees to offset the huge burden on both agents and passengers at the counters.

And about American Eagle: a perfect group to offer self-service check-in kiosks, but NO, you can only do that on American Eagle flights from Boston if you have no checked luggage.

About American Eagle gates at BOS: For the 4-6 gates ca. (B-22-28?), there is NO RESTROOM after security check.

Based on treatment of people needing restrooms in flight, I'm beginning to think American will soon be serving only the catheterized.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Why not vote with your wallet and give your money to a different airline? If enough people did it, then quite possibly AA would take notice....

You seem to have some complaint about AA every time you fly with them, yet you keep on going back........Any reason why?

I'm not saying you don't have a legit beef with AA everytime you fly with them, but why put yourself through that with so many disappointing experiences in the past?

I'm with my 3rd cellular company in the last 3 years or so. The first 2 disappointed me enough times, that at some point I decided to take my business to one of their competitors.

So, unless AA is the only player in town, give your CC number to their competitor next time.

Good luck!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

I don't have a choice on many, many of my routes.

I know you are something of an apologist for AA, but if we don't call attention to things that are problematic and in a public way, there's even less hope of improvement than if we just keep silent. Even if I could spend my money elsewhere, it would make little difference to AA; but my speaking up about problems might encourage others to speak out as well, or at least to spend THEIR dollars somewhere else.

My comments here weren't just an anecdote about clashes with personnel. I'm talking about policy, and I stand by the assessment that the curbside fee is contra-efficient, that it would be expedient if American Eagle Boston pax with baggage could check-in at kiosks, and that not having a restroom available after security is beyond inconvenient to the point of being a health problem!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 04:21 PM
yk

I read on Flyertalk that the BOS AE gates will be redone by Fall 2006. Even the most loyal FF'ers of AA complain about the AE gates, so soccr, you're not alone. But at least they're doing something about those AE gates and hopefully things will be better for you in a couple of months.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Well as the airport is not owned by American I would really recommend you take up the matter of AE loo access with Masport. Here's the email address: http://www.massport.com/sitemap/contact.asp

Let us know how it turns out.

PS I share your views about Logan. Evidently someone at AA does too as they're reducing their service to BOS pretty dramatically. So the curbside checkin crowd will probably be only a temporary problem.

Enjoy Delta.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 04:29 PM

The bathroom issue is an airport issue, not AAs.

I remember having to fly to Kansas City couple of years ago and the airport was build just before 9/11 (or something like that), so EACH gate had their own security. I haven't been back there since so maybe things have changed, but once you went through security at the gate and then found out you needed to go to the bathroom, it was right back out to the main hallway. It was not a big issue for people traveling together, because they just left their luggage with their partner(s), but I was alone and at that time most people still had a problem watching other people's luggage, (because it was against regulation) but if they only thought about it, they would realize that my carry-ons have been through security???....but I digress. Our flight was seriously delayed coming in, so I had no choice but to visit the little boys room. Thankfully I found a FF and she agreed to watch my luggage, so it wasn't a big deal, because all the people had been through security already and I didn't have any metal on me when coming back. Still, the point is, if that's a problem, complain to your local municipal government and/or the airport authority.

As far as the other issue? as I said, you can complain all you want here and e-mails, letters, but the real and serious way for you or others to complain is to walk.... simple.

I'm not apologetic in this case, but I know what every service company notices first - customers disappearing.

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Husband flies AA about 15 times/year out of Logan - they really do need to do some layout, security, etc. upgrades at AA gates in Boston. He finds they have the slowest security lines, most annoying check-in (like half the kiosks were inoperable one day). I think it has something to do with space, airport, etc.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Logan's headaches aren't limited to the terminals, given bizarre traffic patterns, closed tunnels, and general congestion.

However, as a matter of curiosity, I'm wondering how much is negotiated when an airline rents a gate or terminal section. Anyone know? Could/should American have any clout with Logan about things like restrooms, ticketing area arrangements, concessions, etc, assuming they still want to be tenants there?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:12 AM

The airport/airline agreements vary from airport to airport.

I would imagine that AA has a GREAT deal of negotiating power at DFW, MIA, JFK and probably even at BOS and ORD (although UA has definitely pulled more strings at ORD than AA). On the other hand, they are probably reduced to a nobody at DEN, where UA is the king. I'm just speculating here, not posting actual first hand knowledge.

Nevertheless, it is the airport authority that contracts with the concessions companies, provides the services, etc. The dominant airline may have some pull and ask the airport authority for certain things, but you know how the governments work sometimes. They are on a yearly budget and if it's not in the budget, well??? sorry!

BUT, I have to believe that TSA has the ultimate power as to where they place their stations and sometimes they place them where it's not very convenient for the passengers. In that case the airline may also petition (I'm guessing) but I doubt very much it would help. After all "it's national security issues".

All of the above is a speculation on my part, but it's probably somewhat accurate.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:56 PM

Sounds like the curbside checkin fee would be a good thing. If it was free (except for the tip) then lots of people would use it. Then there wouldn't be long lines only at the counter and the kiosks, there would be a long line at curbside checkin too. You'd be without any good options if you couldn't get in the elite line. Three bucks for a short wait to have your bag checked and then you are on your way sounds like a good deal. The charge might be a deterrent for some people but it clears the way for you.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:21 PM

whats with this aa bashing this past few weeks?

aa knows what its doing, don't you think so?? they are not in bankruptcy, so what ever they are doing, its working.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:07 AM

yeah, everybody should go back to United bashing.

I frequently find that AA has the lowest price when searching fares. So, a passenger could be saveing 5, or 15, or 50 bucks flying AA (which likely has a better schedule than some LCCs) and then complain about a charge of two bucks (which of course a person is entitled to do).
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 01:45 PM

Let's play a different game for a few weeks. How about we bash Aloha Air, Alaskan Air or maybe Hyatt?
8-)
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Well, Wally will have to know if Aloha & Alaskan serve free wine in coach before he can bash them.

I've never flown either but I'm sure they suck because they're not American Airlines.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 06:10 PM

Good start Carrybean.

I hate Hyatt because their maids don't wear hot pants and halter tops.
8-)
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Two bucks will barely buy a cup of coffee these days...what's the big deal about paying that much for the convenience of curbside check-in?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Aside from the nickel-and-dime principle by which AA seems to live, there's also the penalty to the skycaps, out of whose pocket the $2 effectively comes, because people are (a) avoiding curbside and (b) declining to tip as they used to with the free service.

At what point will these "only $2" fees that come out of the woodwork begin to bother some of you? When it's for the toilet? On-board hydration? Oxygen?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 02:45 PM

since I never used curbside (never really saw any advantage to it) check in, the charge does not bother me at all....YMMV!
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 04:56 AM
HKP

Chalk me in on the list of those who hate the fee. Curbside can be a godsend, esp. with on-line check-in before you even get to the airport. Drop the heavy bag out front and go right to security and then the gate.

What is YMMV?
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:52 AM

YMMV = Your mileage may vary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -