Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

has anyone been with singapore airlines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 12:50 PM
barbara

we are travelling to australia in november and are flying from manchester (england) to singapore then to melbourne, have you been with singapore airlines before, are they o.k? have you any experience of singapore and what to see and do in 3 nights?

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 03:59 PM
deej

My experiences with Singapore Airlines have been excellent. They are regularly ranked at the top of most airline surveys for service and inflight entertainment. What more needs to be said?<BR><BR>I'm usually in Singapore on business, so I'll let others share specifics on what to see and do. I do recommend the night safari. And of course shopping on Orchard Road and eating fresh seafood at the West Coast Parkway...<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Joyce

The Best Airline in the World

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 09:59 PM
Mary

We've travelled with SIngapore air a few times (both business & economy class) and they are fantastic.<BR>3 days in Singapore is a lot. Obviously walk down Orchard Rd (1/2 day) visit Chinatown (1/2 day) etc. I'd say that 2 days was enough.<BR><BR>Theres a Singapore Tourist Bus that goes through all of the main tourist areas. It circulates about every 20 minutes or so & you can just hop on and off. Ask the airline about it.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 11:35 PM
StevieB

I agree with the other postings. I have flown SQ several times both business (they call it Raffles Class) and economy, the service is impeccable. The food and wine are great epecially in Raffles class (I had lobster once!)and it's better than the average in economy. When going to Australia or NZ, it's the only airline I consider. In Singapore, you must do the touristy bit of having a drink in the Long bar at Raffles hotel, have a Singapore sling or a half yard of Tiger beer (the local brew - not bad)<BR>Have a good trip<BR>Steve

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Grant

I flew London-Singapore-Auckland-Singapore-London on Singapore Airlines (SA) last September, all in economy. I have to disagree with the other posters and say that I was diaapointed with SA. I am used to flying Air New Zealand, so maybe I expected too much, but I thought the SA service was poor. The seats have a personal tv and gameboy which is good, but the seats are close together, so that if the person in front puts their seat back you can't see your screen (the pixels go blurry on the funny angle). The food was no better than okay and the flight attendants weren't friendly at all. Add in one flight being 3 hours late, and it became an experience I don't want to repeat.<BR><BR>Maybe I struck SA on an off day, but I haven't chosen to fly them since - I'm flying United for a trip to NZ in two weeks.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 11:36 AM
LizF

The last poster must have struck Singapore Airlines on a bad day because I had the misfortune to fly Air NZ last December to and from the USA and I would have to rate Air NZ as one of the worst airlines I have ever travelled on. <BR>I was in the middle aisle seats ( my choice) and no-one had any intercom, lights, music, TV audio, and the only information we got from the crew was " there is a serious malfunction in the electrical system" So for 14 hours we sat without being able to listen to music, read, hear or watch the TV screen and the food was no consolation either, that could only have been described as pathetic. <BR>Singapore Airlines together with Qantas are the 2 top airlines in the World. <BR>There is so much to do in Singapore AND as Brits you will notice that it is so clean in comparison with your homeland that any worries you may have had will be dispelled in the first 5 minutes on arrival. From the Singaporian efficiency at Customs and Immigration to the efficiency of getting from the airport to your hotel and everything else they do.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:24 PM
klam

Flew on Sing from Vancouver to Singapore...amazing! As one other poster said, it consistently gets top marks on the airline surveys. If you're travelling with kids, you'll love it...each seat has it own console and there are many choices of movies and start times, and video games. With something to do, the kids seemed to stay quiet in their seats, instead of all that screaming and bickering you usually hear on long flights. (Of course, I'm referring to other people's kids since we weren't flying with any...but it did keep my mother--in-law tame for quite some time!) Food and service was great. I'd definintely shell out the extra bucks and fly Sing again. As for what to do, the responses seem a bit lame...perhaps check the Asia sub-site. We had a great time in Singapore...I can't wait to go again with my husband. Have a great trip!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Rhonda

Lucky you Barbara. Check out Singapore Airlines's internet site. They offer discount coupons in Singapore AND Melbourne for their flyers. Also look at the range of menus on offer. Why not try something different? We flew with them to Europe & back last year and service was good. I chose the low fat meal and my daughter vegetarian - they were great.<BR><BR>Also recommend the Night Safari, Orchard Rd - shopping, and for something a little different get a taxi to Mustafa's.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:51 PM
Jean

You are in for a treat. Even in Coach, you will enjoy the service, food, and the amenities in the bathrooms.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 06:02 PM
Just

I will have to agree with 'Grant', at least to some degree. I fly about 75000 miles a year, mostly between US and Asia. SA was the best. For the last year, year and a half the airline is loosing big points in my judgment. I'm moving most of my business to CX these days, simply because they do a better job most of the time.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 12:07 PM
Sarah Rey

My first choice when flying Economy. Seat-backs TVs, footrest, good food. Good staff. The free tour bus is great, just keep your boarding pass from your flight and you can use the bus service around Singapore free. The MRT ( subway trains ) are very cheap, clean efficient. Sentosa Island is worth the trip. The night zoo is fascinating. There are always plenty of things going on so do pick up the 'What's On'magazine in your hotel(free). Tours desks at all hotels and all fixed prices, take the brochures, then book, an evening tour includes dinner, the zoo plus Bugis street market shopping.<BR>You will love Melbourne too! Have a great time.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 12:13 PM
Sarah Rey

P.S 1&gt; Do get yourself signed up for Air miles with 'Krisflyer', your travel agent can arrange. The mileage you will get for MAN-MEL return will be a lot. As members of Star Alliance these miles can go towards not just Singapore Airlines but also British Midland which might be handy.<BR>2&gt; Just to add that Singapore has what must be about the fastest Immigration-Baggage-Customs in the world. They are so fast and yet Singapore is actually very tight on such issues, yet it is all done so efficiently and in a friendly manner. The immigration staff even offer you a free sweet! Love it!