Search

Food on Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food on Lufthansa

i will be flying coach on Lufthansa (poor me) from MIA to Zurich then onto Istanbul and was wondering what they serve in economy class. I was considering ordering their fish/seafood menu.

Anyone have experience with their quality of food in general?

Thanks.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 10:25 AM
J62

Always the same choice on Lufthansa. Eastbound: pasta or chicken. Westbound chicken or pasta. Pasta is overcooked and barely edible. Chicken is usually tolerable.

Are you sure it's a Lufthansa plane though. I don't think LH flies MIA to ZRH. That would likely be on Swiss, which is a Lufthansa subsidiary.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

J62 - you are right - it is Swiss Air going to Istanbul and LH coming back to MIA. The food sounds dreadful - maybe I should order one of their "special" meals.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 11:09 AM
J62

I usually take a late LH flight outbound (9:30pm) and eat dinner before I board the flight. Breakfast is a roll, yogurt, and fruit cup.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

My outbound flight on Swiss doesn't leave until 7:45 p.m, so I can catch a bite at the airport and I always bring snacks with me anyway.

Coming home on LH, unfortunately leaves very early in the am, so I won't have to worry about food. How badly can they mess up breakfast and lunch?? Oops - they can, can't they
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 12:51 PM

I think it's a pretty good idea to assume the food will be lousy no matter which airline you're flying, particularly in coach. If you eat before or bring something, you won't go hungry during the flight, and if the food on the plane is edible, well, it'll be a pleasant bonus.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

The only time I had very good food in coach, yes coach, was on Thai Airlines. I was very pleasantly surprised considering I was in coach. I always bring snacks with me and try to eat something at the airport.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 01:10 AM

I would assume that the food will be awful and either eat before boarding, or bring on something you will like. That being said, the food on Swiss is slightly above average and might rise to the level of edible.

The only coach mealsI can remember being remotely 'good' is the bibimbap on Korean and the Pad Thai on Thai.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 09:08 AM

We had chicken on Lufthansa flying from Europe - it was edible, not more than that. A few snacks too. And wine in economy, yes, included, and it was only 2 months ago!
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 09:52 AM
P_M

El Al served the best coach food I've ever tasted. There was even a note on my tray saying the name and address of the kosher deli which catered the meal, and a questionnaire about the quality of food. I gave it the highest marks, which I would never do on any other airline. The free wine was also the best.

But getting back to Lufthansa, I will be flying in Sept so I'm glad to have this info and I will look forward to the free wine, if nothing else.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 10:02 AM

P_M, their snacks are also good!
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

I checked the Swiss website for my flight leaving out of MIA and the only choices for coach is meat or vegetarian, so I chose a Kosher meal. I was going to order a special seafood meal, but I thought if the fish is bad, I'll get real sick, so at least I know I will get a decent meal with the Kosher choice.

I don't know about the liquor on the Swiss flight - I would imagine that I would be offered free wine, but I would prefer vodka.

Good to know that on my way home with Lufthansa I will get free wine, so that's a plus.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 11:12 AM

<i>so at least I know I will get a decent meal with the Kosher choice.</i>

Why would you assume this?

<i>And wine in economy, yes, included</i>

Are people really this excited about bad wine?

<i>I would imagine that I would be offered free wine, but I would prefer vodka.</i>

Booze is free on Swiss. Enjoy the vodka.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 11:44 AM

Really, eat before getting on the plane, and don't expect anything good during the flight. At best you'd be satisfied with a decent meal, at best.... You want to fill up your stomach, not enjoy a feast.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 11:57 AM

"Are people really this excited about bad wine?"

Who said it was bad? I never said that!
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

No one said anything about bad wine. I don't know where that came from

On my last 2 flights which were to Asia,Korean Air and Thai they only served wine in coach, not "hard" liquor.

The reason why I said that I know would get a "good" meal ordering Kosher is because when I saw other people on various flights ordering those meals, their meals looked a lot better than what I was served.

In any event, I'll be bringing snacks with me and won't starve on the flights.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 01:44 PM

<i>No one said anything about bad wine. I don't know where that came from </i>

When was the last time you were served good wine in coach? I would be surprised if that wine rose above the level of 'bad'.

<i>The reason why I said that I know would get a "good" meal ordering Kosher is because when I saw other people on various flights ordering those meals, their meals looked a lot better than what I was served. </i>

I would be interested in learning what these flights were. My wife's cousin is strict kosher, so we order him kosher meals for any family events. I have never looked at his plate with envy. For that matter, I have never sat in coach and thought to myself that my fellow travelers' plates were better than what I might expect at the typical airport eatery.