Search

Food in the air

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:57 PM
kendra

Food in the air

Do all airlines serve food during flights? Is there a certain length of time the trip must be?? Thanks for the info, havent been on a plane for more than an hour since I was 4.

Old May 31st, 2002, 01:03 PM
Statia

Whether or not a meal is served will be listed on your itenerary after you purchase a ticket. Somes airlines are more accomodating than others, and some serve no food at all.

It also depends on the length of the flight, as well as the time of day.

Old May 31st, 2002, 01:59 PM
frank

Oh, sorry. I thought this was a posting about food fights.

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:23 PM
janie

In the US , in general, flights only have food service if they are scheduled to be over 2 hours in duration (flights that are scheduled as 1 hr 50 minutes DO NOT generally have food--trust me) AND are scheduled over what the airline considers a mealtime. So, if your flight is from Noon to 2:05, you're likely to have lunch (which may be only a sandwich and an apple) but if it's from 2pm to 5:30, maybe nothing because it's after lunch and before the magic dinner hour (although it's a longer flight).
If you're connecting flights, each has to fit the criteria--you could easily end up travelling for 6-8 hours (including connection times) without getting any food.

Moral of the story: double check with your airline and make sure to carry food. You flight(s)could be delayed and you end up flying over dinnertime, but because it wasn't scheduled that way, no food...

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 07:31 AM
kendra

Thank you all so much for the info!!

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 01:26 PM
gail

Keep in mind any connections you have to make - for example, a 45 minute connection between flights is enough time to get to the gate, but often not enough time to get food - so even if you have 2 short flights, it can be quite a while door to door. Also, many airports have little in the way of decent food once you get beyond security - Logan in Boston, for example, at some terminals has vending machines and donut/bagel/coffee places only. Charlotte has tons of food beyond security. If you are connecting it may be too time consuming or difficult to exit and re-enter security.