Food on International flights

Mar 12th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Food on International flights

I've read a lot of comments on www.airlinequality.com and on this site, and often people say that the food is better when flying into the United States and worse when leaving the United States.

Your opinion? Any reason?
Mar 12th, 2007, 07:13 AM

In my experience, the food is the same.

Airport security is different. THings I can take one direction get taken away on the return.

Keith
Mar 12th, 2007, 07:59 AM

I generally find them to be slightly better, even just on the same route on same airline.

I think sometimes it's just because the source is a little "different". We often sees things that are unfamiliar or different to be "superior". Like the cup of yogurt, or the vegetables/rice they use in the main course.
Mar 13th, 2007, 12:18 AM

Airlines usually serve food that's been prepared or assembled at kitchens near the departing airport. Most flights to and from America use large airports at both ends, so food - or at any rate a lot of it - is usually procured locally, not always to the airline's specification. Continental isn't big enough in Britain, or Alitalia in America, to make much food customisation worthwhile, and it's expensive hoiking food round the world - though sometimes that's necessary if a small city is being visited.

So what's served as yogurt, for example, on a flight from London or Paris will usually be yogurt. On a flight from the US, it'll most often be that horrible sugary muck Americans use to keep their dentists busy. EX-US salads (and their dressings) will often be what Americans eat: ex-UK salads will be... well, different.

Which is better is a matter of taste.
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:11 AM

I've found catering on VS in PE (same as economy) to be slightly better ex-LHR vs ex-LAX, significantly better on AF in business ex-CDG vs ex-LAX, no discernable difference on DL or KL in business ex-ATL vs ex-AMS, and equally bad on MU in business ex-PVG vs ex-LAX. Maybe the problem is really LAX
Mar 14th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Well, it often depends on the airlines you're flying. Some airlines try to maintain the standards both ways. They have professionals at work on both ends; however, as pointed by Flanneruk, sometimes it might differ because of changing kitchens. But I can't recall any such experience
Mar 17th, 2007, 09:52 PM

In my opinion its not so much where you start your flight but what airline you are on. Non American airlines, in my opinion, tend to have much better food and wine. I was recently on a Singapore Airlines flight and the food was to die for. It was so good I even listed the menu at the end of the review I had done on them. The revew can be found at http://www.bombasticlife.com/t-thing...nes-SQ227.html
Mar 18th, 2007, 08:33 AM

bombastic - The question is do you find the catering different on the different legs. For example, on SQ, is the food any different when you're flying out of SIN and when you're flying out of LAX? Or it doesn't matter if they're served by Singapore Girls?
Mar 18th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Cliff I am going to step in here on a different subject. I am sure you are a bombastic guy, working hard at your website but if you want to have any credibility at all, you ought to take a bit of care with your spelling.

champaign?
Frogamo cologne?

Truly, I am not meaning to be snide here but it is difficult to take you seriously with errors like those..
Mar 18th, 2007, 09:07 AM

eks....blogs are fraught with inaccuracies...If it were accurate, it would not be acceptable as a blog.The nature of the beast.