Flying to Luanda, Angola, from Europe

Jun 25th, 2003, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Flying to Luanda, Angola, from Europe

I want to fly to Luanda for a holiday but do not want to pay the exorbitant fares that BA, SAA and TAP charge.

Therefore I am considering flying on Gabonair, Ethiopian Airlines or Aeroflot. I flew Aeroflot back in the Commie days and it was an experience but I understand it is much better these days. Each airline allows you to stop over (ie, in Libreville, Addis Ababa and Mopscow respectively - all fascinating places - so this does not help me decide).

Has anyopne flown any of these airlines recently? I am very interested in people who have flown them out of Luanda as I would be keen to know which are the most relaible in terms of leaving on the scheduled day. Comfort, food etc are other considerations.

Any advice is most welcome...
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:04 AM

Hi
I would suggest you To fly Tap is one of the airlines with the best safety record and has very good food...

All the best

paulo
Nov 6th, 2003, 03:24 PM

I would stick with TAP, using those others ( unless you have done your homework ) could be complex. Ethiopian though are quite good, but a JFK-LIS-LAD on TAP is the best. You mentioned Libreville, I hope you realise it is like the most expensive place in the world! Also not very safe. Do check latest info. Where do you plan to stay in Luanda for a holiday?
Nov 16th, 2003, 10:42 PM

My husband worked a 28/28 rotation in Luanda for four years and he flew Air France, Sabina (not around anymore) and TAP.

If you're considering such airlines as Ethiopian Air and Aeroflot, you might want to take a look at TAAG.
Nov 17th, 2003, 06:42 AM

TAP is very expensive compared to the airlines you mention that you are considering - probably three or four times the price. TAAG is alo very expensive except on shuttle flights from Joburg to Luanda but you have to buy the ticket in SA - if you buy outside of Africa you will get ripped off big time.

Whilst it is true that Libreville is not exactly safe, many would argue that Luanda and particularly the Angolan countryside are more dangerous. Libreville is very expensive but you can keep costs down if you avoid the western hotels etc. But the VISA to enter Gabon is pricey and you have to have one of these.

I would recommend Gabonair if you are seriously considering Angola but you do realise that it is regarded by most foreign offices as a place that you should only visit on essential business!