Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Anyone know which currency Bellview airlines website gives quotes in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's supposed to be a low-cost African airline, focusing on West Africa, but their quotes don't say which currency they're in. I'm guessing it's in U.S. dollars but if anyone knows for sure please advise. The site is http://www.flybellviewair.com/fares/westcoast.asp.

thanks!
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 10:01 PM

No offense, but why would you even consider flying an African carrier you have never heard of? And a low-cost one at that? This is just not a good idea.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 07:04 AM

It is based in Nigeria, so I assume the currency is the Nigerian Naira (1USD = ~120NGN).

Make sure you know about the crash of flight 210 on 10/22/2005 that killed all 117 on board.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi travelgourmet, by those standards it isn't worth visiting W. Africa at all. There are increased dangers inherent in visiting poor countries, regardless of who I fly getting there. I may indeed choose a different carrier, but as someone on a very low budget (do you know what that's like?!) I might not have the luxury of flying rich Western airlines.

In general, every airline has a record, and if it doesn't it's just a matter of time. That said, obviously some airlines are worse than others, and as someone terrified of flying, I check PPRUNE and what airlines are allowed to fly to the U.S. and Europe before buying a ticket--I don't feel it's necessary to rule out checking fares on an African airline just b/c it's African.

Thanks for reiterating the need to check out safety records--some are definitely worse than others.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 02:37 AM

Whoa... All I said was that it is not a good idea to fly an African carrier you had never heard of. I probably should have caveated it with, until you have done your research, but I stand by it as good advice. As it turns out, this is an airline that had a fatal crash in 2005, and had its license suspended later that year due to another incident.

If I had to choose a West African carrier, I would fly Virgin Nigeria.