Cats/Airlines

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cats/Airlines

I am still trying to find out any info on the airline that if you tell them you have an allergy to cats that they will bump the person traveling with the cat to another flight in consideration of your alergy.

I am beginning to think no one wants to share this info with me for fear that they will be bumped with their cat.

Any info would greatly help.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 06:20 PM

I do not mean to be sarcastic, but why not take an antihistamine before your flight?

Zyrtec is quite effective.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

I don't really like the effects of the antihstamine and read on the post about the airline from someone else so I thought I would inquire about it. It never hurts to find these things out.
I usually fly Southwest No pets but where I am going I have to fly another airline.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 06:37 PM

If you are not getting a reply here, maybe you should try asking your airline. I am sure they would share the information with you.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 06:41 PM
GoTravel

Have you tried asking the airline directly? I would think an employee of the said airline you have not named would have better information than you would find on Fodors.

I don't think it is a conspiracy to keep the kitties flying and your allergies aggravated.

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 06:49 PM

Hmmm, this is an interesting idea..maybe they are conspiring to keep kitties flying!
We need to look into this further...
That fat person ahead of you in line to get on the plane, did that fat belly move? could it be a kittie smuggler?
What about that funny looking hairy little kid, is it really?? or is it a little kitty in disguise?
Is that mink stole really a mink or a sleeping kitty?
What an idea, GoTravel!! You might be right!!!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:08 PM
GoTravel

You know, you could kill two birds with one stone if you dressed your kitty up as a giant peanut. Then you could terrorize the peanut allergy people and the cat dander people!

Scarlett, if we keep thinking, we could have entire airplanes full of people hacking and sneezing!

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 04:50 AM

Lol, GoTravel!! I will think about this and get back to you
We can always put masks on everyone including the kitties.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:26 AM
woollytenderness

Suggest a mild tranquilizer, and drape your kitty across your shoulders, a la furry neckpiece, and enjoy the flight!

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:38 AM
AC

Is the tranquilizer for me or my cat!!??
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:43 AM
woollytenderness

... dose whoever's the bigger wiggler!

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:57 AM

I'm just curious why a person should be inconvienced with being bumped simply because you don't "like the effects" of a antihistamine. Learn to live in this world and you'll be a happier person.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 08:23 AM
E

Here here, Bjork! I am happy to accomodate genuine disability, but when a simple solution exists, why should you get away with inconveniencing others?? Prescription allergy meds like Zyrtec, Allegra, Flonase, ec. have no side effects, and neither does Claritin, which is available over-the-counter. Please try to be reasonable, tyler, and coexist with the fur people!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 08:35 AM

Hjjityler-

Odds are very slim that there would be a cat on your flight, even slimmer that if there actually were one that it would be anywhere near you. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 09:56 AM

I like the idea of a cat draped around the shoulders, perhaps a really furry cat would make a good hat?
Of course, on a summer trip, the cat might need to be stuffed in your purse. You could pretend it is one of those fancy fur mobile phones
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 10:23 AM

I'm very allergic to cats, but have discovered recently that I was on a flight where the woman sitting behind had her cat with her, and I was fine.

It was a fairly short flight (about an hour, I think), so don't know if I would have been affected on a longer flight. I do know that I think it's unreasonable to ask someone to take drugs just so someone else can bring their cat on a flight.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 10:24 AM

Here I sit, waiting to get slammed.

Maybe I should add that I wear white running shoes while traveling in Europe.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 10:41 AM
woollytenderness

... why did I imagine you'd cotton to the haut couture approach, Scarlett. Sadly, or perhaps not (given the bichon option), shoulder drapery is not advised for pups. Save your quarters, lol.

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 10:53 AM

I am curious about something. Because I allergic to grass, Am I supposed to ask people not to grow it? No, I just take medication to alleviate my symptoms.
I have a friend who is allergic to cats. The mere thought of them makes her throat close. She has friends like me who are cat owners. We carry dander and fur on us just because of the fact that we live with them. She takes medication to alleviate her symptoms.

If you are allergic to cats and you sit next to me on the plane isn't that the same thing? My cat rubbed up against my suitcase (or maybe climbed in!!) Rubbed up against my carry on and probably up against me. Would'nt that cause an allergic reaction?

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 10:55 AM

woolyt~
You are so right, Pup goes better with Bichons!
I am saving !!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -