Flying to Cairo - Delta ?

Jan 24th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Flying to Cairo - Delta ?

I am looking at flights to Cairo in March and right now Delta has the best prices. Just wondering , what are people think of flying Delta for international flights? Last year I flew Lufthansa to Yemen and it was very comfortable with what seemed like larger seats and more room.

Any comments on Delta flights?
Jan 24th, 2010, 02:19 PM

Delta is fine for international. Not the greatest, but if you were happy with Lufthansa, you will be fine on Delta. The seating is pretty similar in terms of space. Indeed, as this is a 767, I find the 2-3-2 layout makes it seem more spacious than other widebody planes.

The only real downer is the lack of AVOD on this flight. There are only big movie screens in coach, so no individual choices. If AVOD is important to you, then you may want to find a different option.
Jan 24th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Good to know! I do like the AVOD so I guess I'll keep looking for now.
Jan 25th, 2010, 12:58 AM

Actually, looking back at some info out there, it looks like Delta is rolling out AVOD on some of their 767-300s, which is the plane type that they fly to Cairo. The rollout is scheduled to be done by April and will cover a subset of their 767 fleet. This subset should include the planes used for the Cairo flight. I believe that they have already refitted one plane.

So... There are no guarantees, as the rollout won't be done by March and there is always the chance of an equipment substitution, but there is a decent chance that you will get AVOD on the Delta flight. How big is the savings? And how lucky are you?
Jan 25th, 2010, 06:15 AM

I flew Egypt Air from JFK. It is a dry airline, they used a Boeing 777, and it did not have individual monitors in economy. They came by many times with fruit drinks.
Jan 25th, 2010, 08:08 AM

FYI: Egypt Air and Delta are your only two choices for a nonstop flight to Egypt from the U.S. I have flown Egypt Air, and it was an ok flight.

Whether Delta has seatback TVs or not, I'd still always choose the nonstop, especially if it's cheaper.
Jan 26th, 2010, 09:31 AM

I was on the flights in November. Like travelgourmet, I thought the 2-3-2 configuration worked well. as for the VoD, I was initially irked by it but due to the timing of the flights (10:30 p.m. from JFK) and 1:30 (or 12:30 a.m.?) from Cairo, I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would.

I also got a great deal on the flight ($620) with a delta fare sale so that was the dealbreaker for me vs. EgyptAir.
Jan 26th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice! After weeks of searching and weighing the options, I finally booked last night. I ended up with Delta to Chicago and then Air France for the rest. It got a little tricky with the bookings because three of us are flying over together but I am staying an additional week. I was also able to use airline miles for a free ticket for one of us! Nothing like flying free to Cairo!!

Wow, $620 is a great price. I didn't find anything near that flying out of Minneapolis. The best I could get was $1180. But glad its booked and all taken care of.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.