United PS vs Virgin America?

Jan 25th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

United PS vs Virgin America?

Debating between using the usual means (Virgin America/coach) to JFK next month--vs. using the last remnants of my United miles to fly PS service in J/biz class.

Fares are almost equal. Think the United fare tops out about $30 more than Virgin even including United's ridiculous mileage upgrade co-pay/fee.)

I'm a big fan of Virgin's product (yes, even in coach) so that's always a sure bet...but am somewhat tempted by the allure of a possibly even more comfier flight.

Doesn't sounds like a huge debate, right? Coach vs. business. That said, I'm a bit averse to United (and most legacy carriers) which is why I haven't used my miles with them in ages. Heard very mixed things about the product lately.

Thoughts/recent experiences with PS service? Is it worth saving the miles for another rainy day?
Jan 26th, 2010, 09:21 AM

Done PS in coach only and the extra leg room is nice. I've UA biz class in other 757s and found it to be fine, nothing exceptional, but adequate room and services.
Jan 26th, 2010, 11:40 AM

We flew United PS in 2006, SFO - Rome. I'd do it again in a half second if I could afford the miles. It was, imo, hugely more comfortable than their coach service.

btw, I HATE United coach -- so now when I use my miles, I try to book with one of their sister airlines. Last October we flew coach NYC-LON on Air Canada using our United miles...quel plaisir!
Jan 26th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

I guess that definitely puts it in perspective. It's either use these for an upgrade now or save them for a coach ticket, which I don't think I'd ever want to fly--even for free. Thanks, Lucie (and boom)!
Jan 26th, 2010, 12:52 PM

Do boom and I get to come with you now?
Jan 26th, 2010, 01:32 PM

I don't live in a PS market, so no recent experience, but have you checked on availability of upgrades for your preferred dates/flights?
Jan 27th, 2010, 08:24 AM

I'm also not in a PS market. I was curious to know what you were talking about, Bill. I googled, and I discovered a whole new flying thing with UA... I had no idea... is this preferential treatment for the "coastal" communities??? You can hop right over the fly-over country... haha... be sure to wave as you pass over good ole Illinois!

Enjoy it! I'd do it if it was me making the trip. But I've never flown on Virgin either!

Carol