Flying EVA to Get Continental FF Miles

Old Jan 15th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying EVA to Get Continental FF Miles

I am trying to book a trip from San Francisco to Bali in November and earn FF miles doing it. I used to fly EVA's Evergreen deluxe and get CO miles, but the only way I can do that now is by flying either biz class (too expensive) or 'K' class economy (a more expensive economy ticket). I am willing to do the economy, but am a little concerned that with the CO/UA merger upcoming, they may take off EVA from the FF roster and leave me with an expensive economy ticket and no miles. Once ticketed, can they do that? And, what's your take on the possibility that the new 'UA' will off EVA as a FF partner?

As a side note, I tried Cathay Pacific and Korean (both partners with American) and Singapore (Star Alliance), and none of them had the good itinerary that EVA had. Thanks!
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 06:03 AM

You've asked a really interesting question. Most airlines with alliances fall into one of a few alliances - Oneworld, Star Alliance , etc. but EVA seems to have partnered with airlines across the board.
I think it's near nigh impossible to gauge whether the new UnitedContinental will keep a relationship outside of the StarAlliance network. So you are a chance that you won't get the miles.

If it's any guide, merger of all the operations won't be finalized before the end of the year by most accounts so you will have a chance that EVA will stay as a partner, exp as Continental and NOT united will be running the new merged airline. But these things can be revoked at any time.

I'm a miles junkie so for me, esp w/ a chance to fly Singapore Air, I would not risk that the miles wouldn't count.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! My thoughts exactly! I just wish that Singapore had only one stop on it's SFO-DPS route, instead of two. I hear that Korean Airlines is great, but it's routing is not great SFO-DPS. Maybe Cathay Pacific, getting FF miles on Alaska Airlines?
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 07:45 AM

I don't know where you heard Korean is great but i certainly haven't heard that.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 07:57 AM

When CO was in the prior alliance, they had separate relationships with some airlines and I think they still have some, but certainly that could change. I believe when they ended their relationship with Alaska Airlines they set a date, and if you had bought your ticket by that date, you earned miles, even if the flight was after that date. You might want to research and check if my recollection of that is accurate.

Since CO is already in Star Alliance, yet still has relationships with airlines that are not, it seems pretty speculative to assume that those relationships are certain to end. But as they warn us constantly, anything is subject to change.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 10:09 AM

I remember Korean from their budget days, so have always avoided them. In the last few years though, I keep hearing from well-traveled friends that they are now very nice.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 11:20 AM

When these types of mile-partnership alliances end, there is invariably a very lengthy lead time (usually 4-6 months or more) between the termination announcement and the actual date from which you can no longer earn or redeem miles.

I can't imagine any good reason to pay $$ for a ticket 10 months in advance of travel -- the risk cost (likelihood that it will cost you $$ because you need to change plans) is almost surely greater than any opportunity cost (likelihood that the price will increase). Unless, of course, some exceptional price is being offered, in which case the miles become secondary, anyway.

I'd wait until at least May or June. By then, you'll run no real risk of not knowing if the miles partnership will still be active in November.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 12:03 AM

To clarify, Korean partners with Delta and the other SkyTeam carriers, not American. You can also earn Alaska miles. Check the fare classes, though, as some of the cheapest fares don't earn miles.

And they are quite good, in coach. They have decent AVOD, 34" pitch, pleasant FAs, and (if you like bibimbap) good airline food. I think they are as good or better than Singapore in the back of the bus. Their business and first class cabins are okay, but not class leaders. I would also offer that the airport is very nice for a long layover, and an overnight in Seoul would actually be a positive for me, as I think it is an underrated city.

Another option would be China Air, earning Delta miles. They seem to offer a decent routing.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 06:48 AM

It's confusing enough that two different airlines from two semi-different countries are named Air China and China Airlines.

Now comes travelgourmet who, unwittingly I'm sure, adds a new level of confusion by inventing a 3rd carrier, China Air. All in good fun!
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all this great info. There are several reasons we want to buy the tix now. One is that some of us may go business class on FF miles and we want to be on the same page. I just can't see the fares going below $1,200 including tax for a good itinerary (one stop) and our dates. ANYBODY KNOW OF A LEGIT CONSOLIDATOR FOR BIZ CLASS SEATS?

I think we are settling on Cathay Pacific. We can get Alaska Airline miles and also get a stop over in Hong Kong. I think we plan to do that on the way back and take 3 nights and 2 full days. They also have the best departure and arrival times between SFO-DPS. With 18,000 potential FF miles on the line, I would rather take what is hopefully a sure bet. Thanks!
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

PS. I took China Air to Bali in 1998 and my friend and I each had a whole row of seats to call our own. But, I need to research again who they partner with and what their itineraries are from SFO.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 06:01 AM

China Air (or China Airlines for the pedantic) is joining SkyTeam. Their major US partner is Delta, and this will only strengthen after they join SkyTeam - I am unaware of any other US partners.

I think we are settling on Cathay Pacific. We can get Alaska Airline miles and also get a stop over in Hong Kong.

Certainly a good choice, but be careful on the fare class, as some earn partial or no credit. That being said, this advice applies to earning miles when flying most Asian carriers.

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileagep...ine.asp#cathay
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 07:29 AM

China Air (or China Airlines for the pedantic)

It would be pedantic only if Air China didn't exist, and if Air China were not -- by far -- the bigger of the two.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 08:20 AM

OT: I prefer China Airlines.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 08:22 AM

Sorry, please ignore previous post. I was trying to say Airlines China.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Math problem! I have enough FF miles on Continental and Alaska Airlines for one business class ticket on each airline. Friends that we are flying with have the same. But, since we have decided on Cathay Pacific with an extended layover in Hong Kong (3 nights and 2 full days), we can only really get one biz class FF ticket per couple.

Plan A: Use the Alaska (AS) FF ticket for one biz class ticket and buy one biz class ticket per couple. But, that is too expensive through the airlines (they quoted me $5360.00 for one ticket) and we can't find a cheap biz ticket through a consolidator without forfeiting our ability to earn miles. ANYBODY KNOW OF A REPUTABLE BIZ CLASS CONSOLIDATOR?

Plan B: Give the other couple the 100,000 miles for the biz class ticket using my AS FF miles and in a year from now when I plan another trip...maybe to Europe, they will give me 100,000 from their Continental account. So, we would have enough for two SAVER FARE Continental biz class tickets.

Then I would buy two 'K' class Cathay Pacific tickets ($1200.00 each)and we would either buy the extra legroom for $250RT or book those seats in the back that are in twos instead of threes, earn 18,000 each and keep adding to our AS FF account. We are pros at the long haul and incorporate sleep masks, lots of water, Bose headphones, neck pillows and zanax into our long haul experience.

As a side note...We have to buy the tickets this far in advance to be able to get these FF biz class seats. Also, Cathay Pacific really does have the best itinerary and we would like to see Hong Kong.

THANK YOU!!!!!!