Search

EXIT SEATS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EXIT SEATS

How did Therese book them ahead ? We fly Delta to JFK from Ft.Laud. then JFK to Athens. Can I reserve the exits on arrival at Ft.Laud. for the overseas leg ? Can I get them from any gate agent when we land with a 4 hr. wait, or do I have to go out to the main check-in and return ? Can I reserve the seats on the return flight when I prove my capability (seat ticket from last flt. in hand) on arrival at Athens. ?
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:16 AM

With most airlines, exit row seating is considered "Preferred Seating".With Delta,this P/S is available to all Medallion members,elite FF's and their companions.Or if you are booking a full "Y" or "B" fare,the most expensive,you are entitled to P/S.If you do not fall into either category,but you are 6ft4in,they will probably make an exception.If all else fails,you are most likely to succeed at the gate of departure.HTH....S
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 05:34 AM

We always ask for emergency exit row seating at the initial point of departure. When you initially check in for departure, all of your seat assignments for the trip are usually made at that time. Therefore, ask in Ft. Lauderdale and request emergency exit seating for the whole trip, or just the JFK to Athens portion. Do the same on the return, ask for it in Athens.

You may or may not get it, but it never hurts to ask. Good luck.

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 03:12 PM

Usually on an international flight, you are NOT given any of the exit seats until you check in for that particular flight. The agents that work the international flight are pretty specific about looking at your qualifications to help in an emergency,age,etc. along with your various "frequent flyer" status.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 03:32 PM

I'm not sure about Delta, but if you have any status with AA you could pick exit row seats when making reservations, either over the phone or on-line. It doesn't matter if it's a domestic or international flight. The FA has a right to move you if you don't meet the criteria for sitting in the exit seats. Basically no children, older folks or handicapped. The good part about that is that many status holders that reserve these seats also put in for an upgrade, and if the upgrade clears the exit row seat becomes available to just about anybody requesting them at the airport. So, yes, the trick is to be there early if it's important to you.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, dutyfree. Arriving at JFK from FLL with a 4 hr.wait for the flight overseas, can any gate agent get the seats without my having to wait for MY gate agent, who arrivestoo late to select the seats ? Or having to leave the sensitized area and go to the main check-in ?
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 12:03 PM

Don't know for sure about JFK, but in the Delta terminal in Atlanta, there is a customer service desk that you can go to without having to go out through security again that can get you boarding passes, seat assignments, etc for flights that aren't at the gate yet. I suspect there is one at JFK also.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:22 AM

Neviboy, if you are flying the same carrier for the entire trip, then the gate agent at FLL should check you all the way to your final destination. At that time you should receive boarding passes and seat assignments for all your flights.

Therefore, upon check in at FLL would be the time to ask about everything.