Double EQMs on UA between ORD and LAX/SFO

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double EQMs on UA between ORD and LAX/SFO

Just wondering if anyone else is taking advantage of the double elite qualifying miles promo from UA from now thru end of August. I've just gotten off the ORD-LAX leg of my first of two mileage runs to take advantage of this. My other one will be ORD-SFO in three weeks. LAX price was much better, but I love watching those EQMs add up. I'm trying to maintain my 1K status. This should just about get me there for this year.

There was no email about this. I just happened to check "My Promotions" and there it was. I caught it the day after it got started, so I was lucky with the prices of my two tickets. They have since gone up a bit......

Carol
Old May 28th, 2011, 03:10 PM

Yep. I'm doing two same-day mileage runs to San Francisco in June (with enough time to do something fun in the city in between flights both times), and then I'm going again in August with my daughter for Outside Lands. These will get me comfortably over 50K for the year (and DD at least back to 2P); if I think I can get to 100K, then I'll probably find a way to do a few more--but available time is an issue for me this summer, so we'll see.
Old May 28th, 2011, 06:17 PM

>>>Just wondering if anyone else is taking advantage of the double elite qualifying miles promo from UA from now thru end of August.
Old May 28th, 2011, 09:50 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Am I the only one who finds Robert's continual references to Singapore girls a bit creepy?
Old May 28th, 2011, 10:47 PM

(I promise to tone it down -- but oh I love flying that cherished airline! Great people and friends, from ground support, to 'on high'. They've taken very good care of family and various friends and colleagues over the years.)

Now, back to Carol: forgot to mention various sales this summer in Singapore. I know how much you love to shop, so give a shout if you're back in Bangkok anytime soon. (And you know the airline to fly BKK-SIN...)

robert

... Fly the Friendly Skies ...
Old May 28th, 2011, 11:07 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I love SQ too Robert, but apparently for different reasons. Other airlines fall flat, there's just no comparison.
Old May 29th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Robert, I'm trying to schedule a trip during the last half of July, actually. Singapore remains on my list of places to see while in BKK. One of these days.....
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Just booked a third mileage run from this dbl eqm promo! Now I'll be able to fly free to BKK in July and still maintain my 1K status, with all the plane trips I've already ticketed this year!! Woohoooo!

My first mileage run included a 4 night stay-over in LA. My second MR will to be to SFO and will be a 2-night stay. This third one I just booked is an out and back, same day, to LAX.

Robert, maybe we shall meet up in BKK in July.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 08:45 PM

I booked two trips back east from LAX and routed through ORD.

Next week, instead of a nonstop to JFK, I will fly to/from LGA and connect in ORD both ways.

In August, instead of nonstop to IAD, I will fly to DCA connecting in ORD. Then US DCA-DAY on a separate ticket. Return to LAX on UA from Dayton via ORD.

That will put me at about 51,000 EQMs for the year.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

I'm glad you could take advantage of the double EQM promo, mrwunrful. I assume you have seen all of the discussions on flyertalk pertaining to whether or not you could add on other stops to your ticket and still earn those dbl EQMs. Hopefully your two flights earn all the miles/EQMs for you!
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 08:01 AM

No wonder why I'm number 43 on United's upgrade list.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 09:44 AM

Yes, I have read the ft discussion. I am sure that LAX-ORD-LGA-ORD-LAX qualifies because it is a roundtrip. The "solely" statement in the UA conditions just means (to me) that the ORD-LGA-ORD legs don't get the DEQM bonus. The conditions clearly (to me) say that other cities can be on the ticket.

The CO conditions are pretty clear: "Offer valid on qualifying nonstop United flights between" ORD and LAX or SFO. A one-way would qualify on CO but not on UA whose conditions require a roundtrip.

In previous promos, the conditions included a statement that a roundtrip was from A to B and back to A. Meaning that an open-jaw ticket would not qualify. They don't say that in this promo.

So, one option is to use my OP number on the ticket. Only problem is that I upgraded LAX-ORD-DCA with a UA SWU already. The only cost to me for booking LAX-ORD-DCA instead of LAX-IAD is time - for the connection in ORD and for the drive time, at rush hour, from DCA to the Westin at Dulles.