COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Business Class from LAX to Rome

Old Jun 6th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Business Class from LAX to Rome

ANYONE have any tips on flying the best Business Class from LAX to Rome?? Which airlines offer best seating/service?? Reviews are few and photos are fewer. Please help!
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 10:43 AM
DRJ

FWIW: I purchased two seats biz JFK to FCO a week or so ago with Alitalia for about $2,500 each. Turns out that it is Delta metal, but the same tickets were twice as much through Delta! Log on to Alitalia to see if they're doing LAX-FCO.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 02:53 PM

I don;t think there is a lot of difference in on-board service. I can't speak to onboard entertainment; I turn it off and enjoy what I carry on my laptop; my wife turns it off and reads a book.

Some airlines have better lounges, if that is important to you.

One feature that I really like is the lie flat seats; they are far superior to the slanted (some offer 180 degree recline, but are not flat) seats in my opinion, so I would look for a flight that has the lie flat seats.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 04:44 PM

First and foremost, a flat bed. Flat bed means flat surface that is parallel to the floor. Lie-flat means a flat surface that is angled with your feet down.

Second, you don't want to fly a long distance across the US to the east coast in a regular domestic first class seat before getting into the international business class seat across the Atlantic.

Third, limit to just one connection.

With those two criteria, I think your best bets are British Airways and Virgin Atlantic to LHR, then connect to FCO.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 01:59 AM

I'm with Ray on this one. Flat beds trump most everything else, particularly for such a long flight.

BA and Virgin, as noted, would both offer a one-stop itinerary that features flat beds. I would also note that these carriers are likely to offer the best ground services, particularly at your connection point, where both have excellent lounges.

Note that, with Virgin, you will need to switch carriers and also terminals, either from T3 to T4 (if you connect to Alitalia) or T3 to T5 (if you connect to BA). Not the end of the world, but definitely an incremental hassle compared to the all-T5 connection with BA.

Two other options that would feature flat beds would be Swiss or Air New Zealand. The big benefit to Swiss would be that the intra-Europe flight would be shorter than connecting through London, and intra-Europe business class is pretty much coach with the middle seat blocked. I've also always thought highly of the service, food, and wine on Swiss. Air New Zealand, which would connect through Heathrow to BA or Alitalia, has a very high reputation for the quality of their business class product.

At the end of the day, I would put Swiss at the top of the heap, but would not hesitate to take any of the others. I'd probably choose on price.

I'd only be inclined to choose a non-flat seat (Lufthansa, Air France, KLM, etc) if the savings were at least a few hundred dollars. I'd shy away from taking a US carrier if it involved a transcon in a domestic first class seat, but would consider taking Delta, which offers business class (recliner style) seats on the LAX-JFK flight. Again, though, I'd probably lean toward a carrier offering a flat bed product, which Delta does not currently offer on the JFK-Rome flight.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 04:23 AM

Air France and Alitalia usually best for me

deals from $3k or so RT cheapoair.com biz class

airawards.com deals some times

AA.com CO/United usually more but might make sense

to rack up FF miles get their FF miles CC for 2

rack up even more enough for FREE flight nest time

what I do.

Happy Travels
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 07:32 AM

For the best sleep on a long transcon+transatlantic trip such as LAX to Rome, I highly recommend BA flat bed service. I fly BA Club World regularly between the US west coast and London and always arrive well rested after an enjoyable time in the air.

BA uses a 747 on this route and the seats on the upper deck, particularly 62A & K (my personal favorites) and 64A & K, offer good personal space, comfort and privacy. The upper deck is usually very quiet and has good service.

The flight to LHR is about 10 hours and you can sleep most of the way if you wish. Breakfast is served about an hour before landing, but you also have the option of using one of the T5 lounges after arrival for a hot breakfast and a shower.

Transfers to onward flights within Europe, such as FCO, are very easy and efficient at T5 also. The flight to Rome is about 2.5 hours.

You can compare business seats on the various airlines at www.seatguru.com

More about BA Club World at http://www.britishairways.com/travel...d/public/en_gb When the page opens, click on 'Take a tour'.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 01:54 PM

We've only been to Rome from LAX business class on Air France via Paris, and I enjoyed every single minute of the two flights. In fact, on the short flight from Paris to Rome, I sat next to Spike Lee, who spent the whole time editing a script. That was kind of cool, even for a jaded, non-celebrity caring person like me!

With the flat bed discussion, however, I agree that it is certainly superior to even a comfy, big reclining seat. Having taken Air New Zealand last summer from LAX to London (where, as others say, you then transfer to a second flight to Rome), I might very well opt for that. Air New Zealand has been one of my favorite airlines, even in economy, for years. So getting a great deal to London in business and getting to use the flat bed really put me in my happy place. It is something to consider. Also, I love, love, love the ANZ vip lounge at LAX. There was nothing it didn't have there; and better than the Air France lounge, in my opinion.