Search

Copa Air to Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copa Air to Buenos Aires

Hello:

Planning for BA in May and also trying to figure out how to deal with the whole Continental split to the Star Alliance when the husband and I have been accruing with him on Delta and me on Continental and only flying Continental.

Anyhoo--I was booking tix for trips in November and December trying to figure out what works to book with his FF miles on CO now as I still can even for flights after 10/25/09 and I decided to look for our May to BA and found 45K each way to BA on Copa in first class, or 25K per way in coach. anyone have any experience with Copa and their service? Also I would have a choice of going through Panama or Puerto Rico from EWR, which would be preferable?
Finally, if we were to not do the Copa flight, how horrible is coach on CO on the super long flight to BA and any additional amenities, i.e. free booze, I know flights from EWR to HNL in coach offer nothing. I am elite status on CO FWIW, the husband is not.

Thanks!!
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 08:04 AM

No free booze on CO in coach. You will get fed something, but beyond that...

Regarding Copa, it will be pretty much like a domestic First Class seat. On the Continental flight, it will be an international business class seat. Big, big difference. Personally, I don't think Copa would be worth 90k for business class - I would hold out for availability on Continental's long-haul. In coach, it should be pretty similar to Continental domestic coach.

Note that as a Continental Elite, you qualify for upgrades on Copa, just like for Continental domestic flights. Of course, this means that you need to buy the ticket, since you don't get upgraded on awards, but it is an option. I have no idea what the upgrade rates are like for this route, which is another factor. Flyertalk would give you a better idea.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will hold off on booking the Copa as I think that availability @ 45K each way on a CO flight will open open up within the next few months considering late May is low season. I'll just book the husband's FF miles on CO for Nov and Dec.

I know I could get the upgrade if avail, but feel douchey taking it and leaving the husband in coach on a flight of that length.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 12:04 PM

What level are you? Golds and Plats get companion upgrades. As I said, I have NO idea how plentiful upgrades are on this route, but if they are plentiful, then you could both be in first.

That being said, I would hold out for the Continental seats to open up. I would even consider booking in coach just to have something and change the award (even if I had to eat some change fees) and change it if seats open up in front.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

I'm currently only silver, but should be gold by May, but can't count on it - I've only been hitting silver the past few years. I'm thinking that if I wait, ticket prices will drop considerably (at ~$900 and some change now and I've seen as low as $400-ish for BA in coach at that time of year) and could buy my ticket on an elite upgradable flight, FF my husband's in BF and get upgraded as I will for sure have gotten gold status by then...just a thought.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:44 PM

COPA flies 737-800s, and their FC is similar to domestic FC seats you find on CO or other airlines here. A BusinessFirst seat on CO's flight from IAH will be much better. Also, all COPA flights will go through PTY (Panama City).

As for flying coach, CO flies 767-200 EWR-IAH-EZE. The seats are basically the same as those on the 767-400 for EWR-HNL, so if you have flown that before, you know what it is like. IAH-EZE is also about the same length as EWR-HNL, though it's an overnight flight. I do like the mini-cabin (Rows 16-18) on the 767-200, especially Row 16. Which as an elite you may be able to get.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 10:41 PM

Your Star Alliance options will include a United nonstop from IAD or an Air Canada 1-stop (SCL) from Toronto.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

I like to stick with CO as I at least can always get bulkhead - and book all segments in advance to bulkhead, which is fine for me, when flying in coach - I find it comfy enough being tall. I'll hold out for the CO. I'm not too keen on United at this point.
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 10:24 AM

Hi CB, glad to hear you're going to BA, we've been three times, if you need any advice for the trip, please let me know.

We fly AA, so can't help you with flight info (used miles for first class last March, loved those flat beds). First time we went coach, never again!
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I told you it was on my short list! - I'll definitely be posting in the SA forum soon.